Expert Help Please(B-cast domain,Col domain,subnet. TIA!!

danhexdanhex Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I havent been here since my a+ days, now its CCNA. Heres what I would like expert advice on . I have a quiz tommorow, here is the info. Im not asking for you to pass the test for me, but to help me in the right direction. I know binary. Familiar with OSI model but 4,5,6,7 I am having trouble with, someone please explain to me in english what exactly it is I need to know...if possible, If not thanks anyway,Im reading the CCNA CISCO CERTIFIED NETWORK ASSOCIATE BOOK EXAM 640-802. Hope this post wasnt too long for people to not want to read...Please help

In order to pass you should be able to:

1. Read the chapters
2. Answer all written and multiple choice questions at the end of the chapters
3. Know the OSI Model
4. Understandof collision & broadcast domain diagrams
5. Define each sub-protocol in the notesof the TCPIP suite
5. Have ability to distinguish Class A, B, C IP address ranges and seperate network from node address
6. Identify default subnet masks for each Class
7. Convert binary octets to and from decimal

Comments

• tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
  • danhexdanhex Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Seriously, the book you are reading "CCNA CISCO CERTIFIED NETWORK ASSOCIATE BOOK EXAM 640-802" Should tell you everything you need to know to answer those questions. Read the book, if you still can't answer the questions, read it again...:)
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    3. Know the OSI Model

There is no short cut on this. This is one of the fundamental principals of networking and you should just know it. Not necesarily inside and out with all the individual higher level protocols like gifs, tifs, html, etc but as you progress, you will learn more and more of the lower level protocols.

The osi model is only really used as a reference model (ie it's a layer 1, 2, 3 issue) as the tcp/ip model is widely used in reality. But, in reality, you still need to fully understand the osi model and how the different layers interact with each other in order to talk about and explain processes.

At the start, if there are just a few things you really need to underdstand, OSI model is one, TCP/IP another and subnetting are the absolute fundamental core knowledge we must all fully understand.

The list you posted are the sub topics of this. It will pay you dividends in the long run if you really take the time to fully understand this now.
    Kam.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    danhex wrote: »
    4. Understandof collision & broadcast domain diagrams
    Sorry, I don't have time to read all the chapters in that book before your quiz -- but since #4 looks a little bit like the thread title, I'll try and give you some samples -- but you're going to have figured it out for yourself for the quiz.

Each active switch port forms a collision domain.

Routers create broadcast domain.

Hubs don't do much and are just one big lump. Multiple hubs connected together are just one bigger lump.

If you have 10 PC hooked up to a switch, you have 10 collision domains (and one broadcast domain).

If you have 2 switches with one link connecting them and 5 PCs connected to one switch and 5 PCs connected to the other switch, then you have 11 Collision domains (and still 1 Broadcast domain) -- 10 for the PC links and 1 for the link between the 2 switches share.

If you replace those 2 switches with two old obsolete hubs, it's one giant mess -- 1 Collision domain and 1 Broadcast domain.

If you take those 2 switches and 10 PC and replace the link between the switches with a router with 2 network interfaces you now have 12 Collision domains (1 for each PC and 1 for each Router/Switch link) and 2 Broadcast domains (one out each connected Router interface.

If you had 2 routers connected together with a crossover cable (and no other connections) then that's 1 Broadcast domain and 1 Collision domain, since all you have is a network with only one network segment.

Toss a switch between the 2 routers (and stright through cables) you still have 1 Broadcast domain but now have 2 Collision domain.

If that switch between the 2 routers breaks and you put in a hub temporarily, then you are back to 1 Broadcast domain and 1 Collision domain.

Sometimes you hear "each switch port is a collision domain" -- but you have to remember that 2 switches connected to each other are sharing that one link and it's one collision domain.
    danhex wrote: »
    5. Define each sub-protocol in the notesof the TCPIP suite
    notes of? There was a hand out? I didn't get one.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would know the OSI model PERIOD! So far I haven't taken an exam that didn't, in some form or fashion, refer to the OSI model. You might want to read up on this post. Apparently Fleck has "broke entirely new grounds on the osi model", so to speak.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face