Options

On to ICND2

rudy_riosrudy_rios Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just passed the ICND1...it was quite difficult and draining. I finished with only 4 minutes to spare. I would appreciate any tips from those that have passed the IDND2. I have CBT direct and I would say that helped me with about 70% of the exam. The rest came from reading the CCNA Study Guide by Richard Deal and this site...so thank you all for your input.

Comments

• Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    Ive never read CCNA Study Guide by Richard Deal, but mI read and would recommend the CCNA Study Guide by Todd Lammle. Its also a good idea to get your own set of lab equipment. People will tell you sims are good or that dynamips is all you need, but there is no substitute for your own equipment.

Oh, and how do you like CBT direct?

Good luck and congrats on the pass.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    rudy_rios wrote: »
    I just passed the ICND1...it was quite difficult and draining. I finished with only 4 minutes to spare. I would appreciate any tips from those that have passed the IDND2. I have CBT direct and I would say that helped me with about 70% of the exam. The rest came from reading the CCNA Study Guide by Richard Deal and this site...so thank you all for your input.

I though ICND2 was quite a hard exam, but others say it was easier than ICND1. Id say just learn all of the topics thoroughly and get as much lab time in as you can. If you dont have any access to real equipment, try packet tracer 5.2 i think thats the latest one but its only available to netacad students i believe. If not look into GNS3 which ive only just recently started using but it is really good :)
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats for passing, and good luck on the ICND2!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    Although the CCNA book by Todd Lamle is not specifically designed to prepare you for the two exams separately, i still think it is the absolutee best book among the most popular sources (Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices 1 and 2, the official certification library and the sybex ccna book by Lamle), which I have all read and studied.

The whole book has only a couple hundred pages more than starting studying for the mmore specific options that you have, that is why it is still my recommendation. Do and understand throughly all the labs and you willl pass the exam.

One thing I do thiink you should know. The ICND is much harder. In all honesty, I think the ICND1 exam should be called something like Subnetting+. Passing the ICND2 requires that you really master the blueprint for the 640-802 exam. If you can buy real equipment go ahead, according to the experts there is no substitute for them. If you are on a budget get Packet tracer in which you'll be able to do all the labs you need to learn the CCNA program.

Congrats oon the CCENT.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    rudy_rios wrote: »
    I just passed the ICND1...it was quite difficult and draining.

I felt the same way about ICND1, all the sim's, etc. get to you. I felt a lot less pressure for ICND2, if you do your homework I think you will find it easier, less time pressure for sure.
  • Options
    rudy_riosrudy_rios Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Excellent advice. I do have access to a couple of 2960s and two HP switches. I'll see if wifey let's me take over the garage for a few weeks. icon_smile.gif

Human, I like CBT direct as a source of study, but not the only source. The practice exams covered really about 70%. If it weren't for what I read in the Richard Deal book I would not have passed. Actually there is great information on this site too that really helped.
  • Options
    davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Relax... Yr gonna KILL it!

My experience with ICND2 was okay. I thought it was easier than ICND1 but thats probably because I was kinda new to cert exams. I killed the ICND2 with 900+...you will murder it!

Good Luck!!!

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...