Secured Remote File Access

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
Right now some of my users are using FTP and they tend to put everything on there. This poses a huge problem for us since my company works with a lot of state and local agency's, also is sending out the passwords in clear text.

Were looking for something that will allow our users to securely access the files server and maybe even the mapped drives. Hopefully something that can be accessed via the web so we dont have to install software. Maybe even a Citrix solution.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    FileZilla - The free FTP solution supports SFTP and FTPS. You could also use SCP with SSH and an SCP client, like WinSCP. VPN access might work for you to. Totally depends on your needs.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Windows 2008 IIS supports FTPS... might be worth a look
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    Windows 2008 IIS supports FTPS... might be worth a look

I already have FTP running on 2008. I looked into setting up FTPS on it but my problem with this is that my users will be using IE7 and in some rare cases IE8. Neither of these have native support for FTPS and I don't want and in some cases wont be able to install a FTPS compatible client.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you d not want to use a system like ftps or have to install a client then I would suggest some sort of CGI or PHP based transfer system over HTTPS. You would not need them to install a client at all.
    FTPS would have worked out great but Microsoft hasn't added that functionality to any of there browsers.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Do you use OWA and Exchange 2007? You can configure OWA to allow access to Windows file servers and/or Sharepoint sites. Since you should be running OWA over https, everything will be secure. Plus, you can restrict which servers or shares are allowed to be accessed through OWA to provide an additional layer of security.

Drilldown of the new OWA Direct File Access Feature in Exchange Server 2007: Part 1 (Server-side)
    Drilldown of the new OWA Direct File Access Feature in Exchange Server 2007: Part 2 (Client-side)
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Do you use OWA and Exchange 2007? You can configure OWA to allow access to Windows file servers and/or Sharepoint sites. Since you should be running OWA over https, everything will be secure. Plus, you can restrict which servers or shares are allowed to be accessed through OWA to provide an additional layer of security.

Drilldown of the new OWA Direct File Access Feature in Exchange Server 2007: Part 1 (Server-side)
    Drilldown of the new OWA Direct File Access Feature in Exchange Server 2007: Part 2 (Client-side)

This sounds like an interesting idea but im currently running OWA on a 2003 exchange server.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Also, since this is for out-side vendors/partners there is the added component of licensing for Exchange.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Something like an SSL VPN might be your best bet then, that would work with pretty much any web browser and would give secure access to a file server or whatever you want
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Install Sharepoint and publish the site using SSL. Simply add your AD users to the sharepoint site and you are away..:)
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!