Options

My first Lab!

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
Mike et al--

You posted this link in on another thread, and I have been studying it little, but had some questions.
mikej412 wrote: »
The 2900 XL switches didn't/don't support DTP.

Check out DTP in Table 2. The 2900XL's are the first column.
Catalyst 2950 Series Software Feature Comparison--SI and EI [Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems

What is the most basic version of the 2950 one would need to set up SSH? I presume something that can run 12.4?

It appears to me looking at this chart, there is no BIG difference in the SI and EI versions as related to the CCNA exam. Would that be a fair statement?

I mean what could an EI do to prepare you for the CCNA that an SI wouldn 't be able to do. I've been kinda byting at the bit to successfully set up a SSH configuration.

Right now, I starting to build my lab and so far have a 2620, 2924 and just won 2-2950 (SI) on ebay.

I'm was going to try to get a couple of EI's, but is it worth it and would it be any more beneficial? By the time I realized the different flavors and found this link, I had a couple of bids in, thought I would be outbid and won both those son of guns~wouldn't you know it

If I can snag one I'm going to try to get at least one 1841 to add to this.

Any other thoughts?
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rpfutrell wrote: »
    What is the most basic version of the 2950 one would need to set up SSH? I presume something that can run 12.4?
    The Switch IOS and Router IOS versions aren't in sync. I think the last switch IOS will be a 12.1....

I think switch and wireless AP IOS images may still be available for download with a guest level account.

Download Software
    Follow the Switches link
    The select LAN Switches in the tree
    And then Cisco Catalyst 2950.... etc...

You'll eventually find you can download a crypto or non-crypto version -- and you want the crypto version for the SSL support.

And you may as well grab the crypto version with the device manager -- which will give you practice upgrading your switch using the tar file archive.
    rpfutrell wrote: »
    It appears to me looking at this chart, there is no BIG difference in the SI and EI versions as related to the CCNA exam. Would that be a fair statement?
    They have crammed some upgrades into the SI version.... so you should be fine with the SI version for the CCNA. It is nice to have the EI version for the CCNP.....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!