Windows 2003 Enterprise server

bmwagnerbmwagner Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Okay, we have a server (a) that has x64 windows server 2003 enterprise edition that is in a workgroup not a domain (it is placed in standalone environment). There is another server (b) in that same workgroup. When trying to add user from server b to server a in the manage users, we can only see the users in server a. I can't even get the option for server b. Anyone know why?

Comments

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Because you're in a workgroup and not a domain?
    Good luck to all!
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Because you're in a workgroup and not a domain?

Oh+The+Huge+Manatee.jpg

I QUIT
  • bmwagnerbmwagner Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So if I understand correctly only if I am in a domain can I add a local user to a group from another server.
    bmwagner wrote: »
    So if I understand correctly only if I am in a domain can I add a local user to a group from another server.

You can't add local users to any groups but local groups on the same box. They're local.
    Good luck to all!
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    You can't add local users to any groups but local groups on the same box. They're local.

Please see the following link for more information: http://tinyurl.com/y8j3xgh
    That is what I thought, but I was told I was wrong. I don't deal with windows a whole lot I am mostly infrastructure. Sorry for the crazy question I just got thrown into something and am trying to help fix a problem. I appreciate your patience. So if we have a workgroup environment and need a user on one box to have rights to something on another box how do I accomplish that?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Create another user account on the other machine. Using the same password simplifies things.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Please see the following link for more information: Let me google that for you

If I could add to your rep again I would.

You are on fire. icon_lol.gif
    Thanks to dynamik and HeroPsycho. Like I said, I got thrown into something that I am not familiar with. I really do appreciate your non-sarcastic help.
    I don't deserve the thanks. I was being sarcastic with my first response quite honestly. Your original question is easily answered by the simple definition of a domain, or comparing a domain vs a workgroup.

I understand you being thrown into something you weren't familiar with, and I do sympathize to some degree with that. But a quick read of a domain vs a workgroup you would have found with a simple google search would have answered your question at least enough to know you couldn't do what you were trying to do. If you were confused at that point as to why or wanted more clarification about specific instances, like your second question, I'm happy to help.
    Good luck to all!