Differences between current Net+ test over previous?

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I've been putting off the Net+ for a while and have some study material just collecting dust. How much of a big difference is there between the old one and the current one? I know that with the current A+ test I just used my old study materials and demolished that test easily. Should I go out and purchase a new Net+ book to study or can I use what I have right now and be able to wing it?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    You should download the latest Objectives to discern for yourself which changes you may need a whole book for vs just reseaching the material online.

We cannot determine how much knowledge you have nor your strengths and weaknesses.

I would say there are not a lot of differences, however, the material is not foreign to me. I'd error on the side of over-preparing.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • imhotepimhotep Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just echoing the first response. I passed just recently and I was way overprepared for fear of missing something. I think one of the main additions to the new 004 test is IPv6 addressing, but someone can correct me if it was in fact on the 003 test already.
  • landspeedlandspeed Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I really dont understand why IPv6 is being addressed.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    landspeed wrote: »
    I really dont understand why IPv6 is being addressed.
    lol, at first I had to laugh at the play on words..."addressed" - get it?! HA! icon_lol.gif (Okay, maybe I've been hitting the books a little too hard and my sense of humor is suffering...)

Anywho, the reason it's being covered is because, while it's use isn't terribly widespread right now, it IS in use and its usage will continue to grow over the next few years. Makes sense that the Network+ would include it in its objectives.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    I dont see it being used much more than it already is within the enxt 10 years.

Just like Wireless N. They just standardized it but corporations and businesses are still using wireless B!!!!!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I don't see it being used much more than it already is within the next 10 years.

Just like Wireless N. They just standardized it but corporations and businesses are still using wireless B!!!!!

icon_scratch.gif

'B'??? Really??

I cannot think of a single client using 'B' in ours today, everyone is on 'G' and several are using 'N'.

I haven't noticed a great benefit with using 'N', but the clients are satisfied. Otherwise, 'G' seems to accomplish what is needed.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I dont see it being used much more than it already is within the enxt 10 years.

That's definitely a localized thing for you, then. Most companies I've worked with either didn't bother doing B at all, or upgraded to G in a hurry once it came out due to speed limitations. Now that Wireless N is finally standardized, you'll see a lot of companies jump to it as they upgrade equipment. The same is true for IPv6, it's gaining momentum and will probably be in (fairly) widespread use in the next few years. Of course, the whip-cracking being done by Microsoft and Cisco to push IPv6 compatibility as well as standardization definitely helps this cause, as it did with the WiFi standards, since so many people are customers of theirs.

Where the big boys roll, the rest of the world eventually follows. Having a cool name or being trendy doesn't hurt, either.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Here at work we still use wireless B.

but hey good news, going to wireless g soon!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Here at work we still use wireless B.

but hey good news, going to wireless g soon!

Maybe you can skip G altogether and go straight to N, now that the new standard is in place. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.