Need some advice...I want to move forward! ASAP

Phenom1Phenom1 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys

Thanks in advance for the advice.

So currently I have A+ cert and I've taken 70-290 earlier this year.

I want to increase my knowledge in Microsoft servers to eventually get in to consulting.

any advice of what track to take would be great. Even if it's focusing on MCSA

Thanks guys

Comments

• morpheous7411morpheous7411 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Phenom1 wrote: »
    Hey guys

Thanks in advance for the advice.

So currently I have A+ cert and I've taken 70-290 earlier this year.

I want to increase my knowledge in Microsoft servers to eventually get in to consulting.

any advice of what track to take would be great. Even if it's focusing on MCSA

Thanks guys

The next logical progression would be to finish your MCSA by doing 70-291 and 70-270 ( Windows XP) or 70-620 ( Windows Vista) client exams. You may also consider doing the Network+ as it can be used together with A+ to satisfy the elective requirements for your MCSA 2003 certification.

From there you could finish your MCSE 2003 by doing 70-293, 70-294, and 70-297 or 70-298 exams. Once your MCSE is done you could upgrade to MCITP: EA by doing the required exam(s). But first things first, I think your priority now should be to finish the MCSA track and take things from there.
    MCITP : Enterprise Administrator
    MCITP : Server Administrator
    CCNA : Cisco Certified Network Associate
    ITIL V3 Foundation
    CompTIA : A+, Network+, Security+, Server+

Currently working on Cisco Certified Network Professional CCNP's ROUTE Exam.
  • Phenom1Phenom1 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks
    It gets a little confusing with the new certs, MCITP ect...

but I guess MCSA is still relevant so I'll get on with my studies!!
  • wheezwheez Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, if you ask me MCSA on 2003 would be a good choice!

I have not done MCSE or MCITP EA, but took the upgrade path from MCSA to MCITP SA. If you make sure you know your Windows 2003 (MCSA) thorough you shouldn't have too much trouble upgrading to 2008 afterwards. Again, that's for the path I took, can't comment on the MCSE upgrade but from what I've heard that's a lot tougher!
    WIP: Considering cert path.. :-)
  • dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    I wouldn't advise anyone to start the MCSA or MCSE 2003 track at this late date. I would recommend anyone starting out go right into MCITP: SA, and possibly EA.

With the MCITP track, you're going to learn all the 2003 stuff - Active Directory, Networking, Server Apps, etc. Virtually everything from W2K3 is still present in W2K8, plus you pickup knowledge of W2K8. The difference is in a few years when the W2K3 stuff is starting to be a bit moldy, you'll still have a relatively fresh cert.

This isn't to take anything away from W2K3 - check my sig, I've got that plus a few older ones. I just don't think it's worth all the effort for the older cert when almost the same effort gets you the new one.
    MCTS
    MCITP: SA & EA
    MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
    MCSA: 2000, 2003