Juniper Network Security Engineer

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hi All,

So I passed my phone interview yesterday and they wan't to do a face-to-face interview early next week. Based in North London and over lot's of sites across the UK.

I was completely upfront about my experience and skillset and they still seem happy to get me in for a further interview. They said this would be more technical than the phone interview with maybe some hands-on, I think I would be more comfortable with a juniper netscreen or ssg infront of me rather than talking about concepts!

Looking forward to the experience of the interview again in all honesty!

Cheers,

Pash
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    hey man that's great! Congrats! I know you know your stuff so you'll fit right in. Any more details on what your role is and what your responsibilities/job duties will be?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Awesome!

Is this a job working for Juniper or a partner? Or is it just a job for a company that uses Juniper equipment?

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hey thanks guys and gals!

The position is for a a security networking vendor who have a partnership with Juniper as well as Cisco and MS. It would involve quiet a bit of travel and offsite work, installing Juniper firewalls and providing remote support for them when back at the office.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hope it works out! icon_thumright.gif
  • human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    Best of luck!
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pash wrote: »
    The position is for a a security networking vendor who have a partnership with Juniper as well as Cisco and MS.
    Ooooooooooooooooh!!! The best of all worlds!!!! It's nice having a varied skillset that doesn't depend on just one vendor's survival.

Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah man congrats sounds like a great job!

Layered security with different vendors is always the best choice (if you can do it). Figure if they get through the pix, maybe they'll have an issue with the Juniper firewall.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    And they say there is no IT work in London.... Nice one Pash. Don't envy you on all that travel though.. especially out of north London.

Juniper seems to be coming on in a big way and not just for security. Lot of big firms looking for Juniper routing and switching too lately.
    Kam.
    Thanks again for the good luck messages guys and gals. I have my interview tomorrow morning, so I will see how it go's and what the position offers.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Awesome! This sure is exciting! Best of luck man, sounds like a sweet job. I have to say that I'm a little jealous too icon_redface.gif

I'm sure it'll go well but let us know how the interview goes icon_thumright.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • curtisdaleycurtisdaley Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Juniper is becoming quite popular for enterprises in London! Seen it under many Networking jobs in London, enterprise aswell as ISP!
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Very excited to hear this. Best of luck and let us know how you do.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
    Hey Guys. Well the interview went well I feel, I did stumble over one technical question which I am not sure why on reflection (I guess I had memory block). They also made me do a small multiple choice type exam at the end to test my Juniper firewall security knowledge, I am fairly confident I answered them all correctly.

It does sound like there would be a lot of travelling around and not much work from the main office. As Kam said travelling in and around north London is pure sh*t though, so getting to and from the main office on quieter weeks may not be fun.

It went well for my first interview in over three years.

Cheers all,

Pash
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Nice one Pash sounds like it went well. I wouldnt worry too much about the odd question you may have missed as they are aware tech skills can be learnt its more of a formaility at this stage.

I cover around 90 sites in North West london and if I have to take the car its a pain but not unbearable and certainly not a deal breaker icon_smile.gif

sounds like there's a few of us in the area maybe we should have a tech meet lol
    c[[]] icon_wink.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    awesome! sounds like you landed that job icon_thumright.gif

Should be a great experience for you.

-Bender
    Hi Guys, well i got an email from the recruiters saying that they still have some more candidates to interview before making their decision, so I haven't been rejected yet but still awaiting the news!
    oh how I hate the waiting game...

did they give you any idea when they will be in a position to make a decision ?
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    oh how I hate the waiting game...

did they give you any idea when they will be in a position to make a decision ?

Hey mate,

No time frame as of yet, I do have to give a considerable amount of notice myself, but I am still stuck in two minds on whether I would except it or not anyhow.
    The waiting game does suck. I remember way back when I was offered a job from another company and I waited about 3 months after the last interview before they offered me the job. Then I waited another 3 months before they offered me a wage. Then I waiting another 3 months before I found out that they cut the position due to budget constraints. Good times! icon_thumright.gif

I'm sure that your wait won't be nearly as long though ;)

Keep your hopes up and let us be the first to know when you find out.

-Bender
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Pash wrote: »
    Hey mate,

No time frame as of yet, I do have to give a considerable amount of notice myself, but I am still stuck in two minds on whether I would except it or not anyhow.

Make sure to send a follow up thank you letter to the people who interviewed you. Helps refresh you in their mind when they are interviewing other people.
    Well, no news as of yet. But I did get contacted about another opportunity today. This was more of a consultancy/design role though (Juniper again). I am not sure if I am ready to move onto that level of position at this stage in my career. I have designed very small networks (not exceeding 200 users) over the last 3 years but it sounds like they want an experienced consultant who has good design experience as well. I guess all I can do is put my CV forward, be honest as always and see what happens!
    Pash if you have been contacted for a bigger role than your used to GO for it, worst that can happen is you dont get it.
    Best you do and start flying lol bring it on it what I say icon_smile.gif
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Pash if you have been contacted for a bigger role than your used to GO for it, worst that can happen is you dont get it.
    Best you do and start flying lol bring it on it what I say icon_smile.gif

Exactly! pash go for it mate! it would be great experiance for you!

Good luck with the process! hope all goes well mate!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking