CCIE written

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
Yup. It's that time again as mine has expired. Im hoping to clear this before it changes and presently making headway with Mr Odom's book again. Amazing how much minutia one forgets when one is doing practice labs. I shall attempt it sometime next week and find out if I need to take it again it. Anyone else pushing for the written soon?

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tell me about it, i'm gonna take it in the next week or two.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    Tell me about it, i'm gonna take it in the next week or two.

Yup. Metrics and who knows what else I have to recall and remember again. Fun, fun!
  • ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Inbetween practice labs for the JNCIP.. I've been squeezing a few chapters in a week from Optimal Routing Design in preparation for CCDE..

I got tired for studying for the same written exam after taking it only twice... exactly because of all the details you forget.

I was not happy with the third edition of Odom's book... I look forward to the fourth. It would help tremendously if they could really pack the included practice exam engine with a lot of questions.... like a thousand or more.
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Best of luck (to you both). I hated the written, while it was tougher the Lab was more logical and rewarding, the written felt more like a necessary evil.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    ccie15672 wrote: »
    Inbetween practice labs for the JNCIP.. I've been squeezing a few chapters in a week from Optimal Routing Design in preparation for CCDE..

I got tired for studying for the same written exam after taking it only twice... exactly because of all the details you forget.

I was not happy with the third edition of Odom's book... I look forward to the fourth. It would help tremendously if they could really pack the included practice exam engine with a lot of questions.... like a thousand or more.

I know what you mean. With such a large body of knowledge it certainly helps to have many problems to solve to stretch you. 14 questions on BGP on the Odom tests doesn't really cut it. Boson and Netmaster have been ok to add some more variety. I will just have to hope and can remember all different mechanisms and details I mostly understood in Odom's book.
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Best of luck (to you both). I hated the written, while it was tougher the Lab was more logical and rewarding, the written felt more like a necessary evil.

It is a drag..
    Passed today. Solid score. Happy.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Turgon wrote: »

Awesome! Now time for the lab.....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sweet. Now for you to kill the lab and get your number. You deserve it:)
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    crap i need to redo mine as well.. time for a refresh
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
    Congratulations! Do you plan on scheduling your lab soon? I know you are working extremely hard and how much it takes away from family time. Hopefully all goes well.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Excellent news! icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod

Congrats, and good enthusiasm. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Congrats, and good enthusiasm. icon_lol.gif

Congrats
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Snap,just got mine too.Lots of scenarios to deal with.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    Congrats Turgon!
    tim100 wrote: »
    Congratulations! Do you plan on scheduling your lab soon? I know you are working extremely hard and how much it takes away from family time. Hopefully all goes well.

Thanks Tim, and everyone else for the congratulations. Certainly glad to get that out of the way. I can concentrate on finishing lab prep now. It hasn't been easy what with work and family I get a couple of hours in on a good day. I try and compensate for the lack of lengthy sessions by at least being regular but I need to get more hours in somewhere. I reckon I need upwards of 25 hours a week of racktime to really get up to speed. Finding those hours is a challenge with freetime being so scarce. I'm spending October to brush up on switching, WAN and IGPs with some BGP thrown in there. After October I will be working BGP and the post BGP topics in November. December I will start to look over the new v4 topics. My MPLS is off the pace so I will need time for that. I reckon it's easter 2010 with a second shot in the summer. If I could land a job that gave me some downtime to study instead of relying on 9pm starts when Im shattered, that would be good. Lots of companies say they will train to CCIE but it's either usually lies or they simply dont appreciate the amount of time you need to sink into preparation. The latter can be a problem because the more time you *seem* to be spending on it away from *real* work the more pressure you may feel to pass the test. To be honest, if I got a start with a company eager for another CCIE I imagine they would look at my CV, assume there are lots of things I can help them with and they would just fling lots of projects my way. I doubt there would be anytime to study at work quite frankly. There never was in my career really. I thought about a NOC job for about five minutes as I know some of these afford quiet times when you can do a few hours inbetween tickets, but the money is bad and I think I would get very bored!
    I have started to receive PMs from people who want to know which **** version they should use to take the test. For the record I do not use **** so please go elsewhere!

Clowns.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on the pass!! icon_cheers.gif
    I have started to receive PMs from people who want to know which **** version they should use to take the test. For the record I do not use **** so please go elsewhere!

Clowns.
    Clowns doesn't even begin to describe those ****** ******* idiots.

Feel free to forward any of the PMs to me and I'll deal with them the same way I do when those ****** ******* ******** insult our members by posting that same ******* **** in a public thread.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Thanks a lot Mike.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    But serially, what **** did you use dude? :D

Congrats mate, I know that lab is coming soon!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    congrats! not long until we see you with that # next to your name!!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. Im abit late as ive been on holiday :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • nullrouternullrouter Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so is there a lab date yet? :)
    CCIE R&S All Done :D

Web Blog of sorts:
    http://blog.nullrouter.com
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I thought about a NOC job for about five minutes as I know some of these afford quiet times when you can do a few hours inbetween tickets, but the money is bad and I think I would get very bored!

Yeah, you really do get alot of free time to study. Up until earlier this year, I was a NOC Monkey, and when I was working overnights, I usually had 6+ hours a night to study, and some nights over 9 hours when I worked weekends (we work 12 hour shifts), so it was great.

Then I was retarded enough to get myself promoted to engineering. Thankfully, I managed to convince them to let me work nights again as the overnight engineer, so I still have plenty of time to study once my to-do list has been cleared out.
    nullrouter wrote: »
    so is there a lab date yet? :)

Not yet. Im going over the core topics and non core topics again. Once the mock exam marks are reasonable I will schedule. In terms of a date I need to give myself time to bone up on all the new v4 topics as well as sufficient breathing room to find and settle into a new gig. It will most likely be Easter with everything I have ongoing on the work and family front.
    Yeah, you really do get alot of free time to study. Up until earlier this year, I was a NOC Monkey, and when I was working overnights, I usually had 6+ hours a night to study, and some nights over 9 hours when I worked weekends (we work 12 hour shifts), so it was great.

Then I was retarded enough to get myself promoted to engineering. Thankfully, I managed to convince them to let me work nights again as the overnight engineer, so I still have plenty of time to study once my to-do list has been cleared out.

That's the way to do it. Every hour done on works time when you are fresh is worth two when work is done. I often find myself too tired to accomplish much in many of my evening sessions and relying on them for so long has been really difficult for the family at times. Weekends we are often too busy at home to lock myself away and do the all day lab stints. It is difficult to amass lots of rack hours over the course of a week with my approach as we need some nights without racktime at home. Still, you work with what you have to work with.
  • geek0101geek0101 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Turgon,

Any advice in getting practice material for the R&S written. I've got CCIE R&S third edition by Odom/ciscopress. It's got the boson and question; however, finding practice questions is almost impossible. If I ask some people, they want to give me "**** advice", and that is no good.

This is my first post on this site and I'm impressed by the good in it.

Congradulations!!!

geek0101
    :0)