Options

Getting Started in Project Management

I was thinking of learning more and more about project management as a means of pushing my career further. Currently I'm a Sys Admin.

Anyone know a good way to get started in project management? books? classes? etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Divine-AssaultDivine-Assault Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    homerj742 wrote: »
    I was thinking of learning more and more about project management as a means of pushing my career further. Currently I'm a Sys Admin.

Anyone know a good way to get started in project management? books? classes? etc...

I suggest that you don't take any classes and just do self study with books. I personally just used the Sybex Project+ PK0-002. Although it is best to use more then one book, I just used that one and I thought it was enough.
    Currently Studying for: 70-291

Life is too precious to waste...

Check out my Blog! :D
    www.oreillybookreviews.blogspot.com
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recently had to get into it. So I started with searching for sample project plans on google, you can find some really good ones on there that have all the time line, milestones and other necessary stuff for project management included in there. Creating a project plan is really not the big part but sticking to it is the key...when you create one you have to make sure that you can stick to the deadlines you have created for yourself. Often times you can cut your own foot by trying to be too efficient, you know what I mean.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    homerj742 wrote: »

The first thing I would propose is to sit down an document all of the project work that you might have already done in your career. Generally, if you want to have a career as a PM you should be able to show over time that the significance and impact of the projects that you managed increased.

The next best thing to do is to try to get some PM work under your belt. If you can't get this through work, you might volunteer your time to a non-profit...they always have various projects that need attention.

Don't waste your time with Project+ (unless you can take the free beta). It's not really a cert that companies look for project managers to hold. The PMP requires significant experience and education, and from the sounds of this note you don't yet qualify for it.

You might look at the CAPM as a way to get your foot in the PM door. Another PM approach that is popular in UK/Europe and is just starting to make headway in the US is called PRINCE2. I've met a few people recently that hold it, and I believe that the experience requirements are much less than the PMP.

MS
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I would say go for the Project+ first of all, then make your way thru other PM certs like Prince2, etc...

While the Project+ may or may not be in demand (depending on where you are, plus what company you work for), it does give you a good base on which to build on. Besides it's still a valid PM cert.

-Ken
  • Options
    homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    Whether I get a cert or not, I think I should

1) Get a good book on Project Management

2) Document all the projects that I have been in charge of
  • Options
    Jacob18Jacob18 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not sure where you are in life. I hired paid intern/assistant. She's a business major student. She's learning. She has told me she learned more in a day than an entire class. She is learning business and project management. Everyone, ESP. Secretary has taken her under their wing and teaching her. We are all much older than her. I needed an assistant, she wanted to learn. Good kid national
    guard, paying for her education. People enjoy helping others if they put in the effort. Look for a small business association/group and talk to some. The cream of the crop will show themselves worthy, just as you will. Volunteer if you have to. Good luck.