Passed today with an 800 score

jsondjsond Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just got back from the testing center. I had taken the Security+ on December 2nd and went right into studying for the Linux exam. Also I work with Linux at my job and we do alot of command line tasks. If it was not for that I would have taken another month to study. My thoughts on this one:

More difficult to me than the Security+ exam to me. I studied for 4 months before I took the security+ and only missed 3 questions. I guess I felt between me working w/ Linux alot for the past 6 months, 2 months of studying would be enough. It was and I did feel confident at the end of the exam that I had passed but I was pretty sure I missed more questions than I thought I would.

1st off, as has been mentioned here before but bears repeating: there are a good amount of hardware questions about SCSI and some other things that made it feel more like the A+ exam. I only had one IRQ question which was pretty easy.

Seemed to me there were more "choose the best answer" then on the Security+ exam. There was at least 5-6 where I really felt there were 2 choices that were not incorrect but had to decide which was best.

Know command line stuff..probably 14-18 questions on that.

I was happy to see not too many X windowns questions. I was prepared but still was hoping not to get many.

Know your boot loaders, but mostly know about LILO..where it is installed by default, if dual booting, and some of the lilo.conf parameters.

Know what Linux names for various servers/protocols, etc. In other words know what BIND, Squid, Apache, etc all pertain to.

I only had one question about the VI editor. Suprising to me I see on my report that I missed a question pertaining to it so I obviously got it wrong. As hokey as VI can be to learn I use it a good bit at work and can't believe I missed the question I got. Just goes to show..even when you know, you never know.

All in all it was not a tough exam but harder then I thought it would be. Maybe because I did so well on the sec+ I expected to do better but pass is pass. I still think there are too many hardware, especially SCSI, questions. I guess they are revising the exam to have less hardware and more security questions and I think that is a great idea. Anyway thanks again to this board for the practice exam and good info.

Just in case anyone is interested I used the sybex pdf that I downloaded and Linux+ complete book. I think the Linux+ complete was the better of the 2 but always good to read from at least 2 sources. Only practice exams were demo exams from Boson and Transcender, this sites, the ones in my two books and the 50 question exam CD that came with the Linux+ complete book.

Hope this was helpful to anyone taking it soon. If you have any questions let me know. Next up is the CCNA, which is obviously a big step up from Comptia but feel I am ready for the challenge and will spend much time preparing. Off to the bookstore..

Comments

• TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    Congrats! :)
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations and thanks for a good review
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    TeKniques wrote:
    Congratulations and thanks for a good review
    Dito icon_thumright.gif
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats - excellent review icon_thumright.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Thanks and congradulations
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • stndrd_123stndrd_123 Member Posts: 113
    Congrats on the pass!
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice job!

This is one of those exams I hope to get around to eventually, if only to force myself to learn the very basics of linux/unix.

I definitely see Linux as a flexible, cool, and useful OS that compliments everything else.

Plus, there seems to be, in theory, a lot of instances where you can run things on Linux with just a few servers, for much cheaper, than say, a giant room full of MS servers all dedicated to a specific function.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • jsondjsond Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    skully93 wrote:
    Nice job!

This is one of those exams I hope to get around to eventually, if only to force myself to learn the very basics of linux/unix.

I definitely see Linux as a flexible, cool, and useful OS that compliments everything else.

thanks everyone for the congrats!

skully,
    I decided to pursue the lnx+ since I had just started a new job and it became obvious that it would be in my best interest since many daily tasks include gzipping/deleting/moving log files, troubleshooting connections from our devices to managed IDS and firewalls, digging up raw packet data on IDS alerts and various other command line tasks. At that time I knew very little about Linux. Plus it is worth it just to learn it so I can dual boot at home with XP, like I do now. In time, when I get better with it, I may go to Linux as my main and only OS. For now I still need the "easy to use" Windows OS but the more I learn and use Linux the more I like it.

Just got my CCNA book and this looks to be Network+ on steroids so I will be lurking/posting in that forum for sure..
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    congrats....and yes the CCNA adds quite a bit more detail than the network+. icon_wink.gif

I like the Cowboy's star for your avatar.......
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • CNECNE Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations jsond!
    Who's the Author/Vendor of Linux+ Complete Book?
    Thanks
  • jsondjsond Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CNE wrote:
    Congratulations jsond!

Actually I just got the book from the bookshelf and see it is called 'Linux+ in depth'. It says the authors are Jason Eckert and John Schitka. The vendor is Thomson, who I know it affilitated w/ Comtia or maybe a comptia testing center. Not sure but I see the names thomson and prometric all the time when it comes to comptia testing centers and info, etc.

It was a very good book and I really recommend it. Its about 700 pages and very in depth but does not go overboard with too much info. Basically there was nothing on the test that the book did not cover except maybe 3-4 questions. Only complaint I have is the cdrom that comes with it only has a 50 question practice exam. The questions are very good but if its a 50 question exam and nothing else they might of well have just included a floppy instead of a cd, but overall well worth 40 bucks.[/img]
  • mswiechmswiech Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jsond wrote:
    CNE wrote:
    Congratulations jsond!

Actually I just got the book from the bookshelf and see it is called 'Linux+ in depth'. It says the authors are Jason Eckert and John Schitka. The vendor is Thomson, who I know it affilitated w/ Comtia or maybe a comptia testing center. Not sure but I see the names thomson and prometric all the time when it comes to comptia testing centers and info, etc.

It was a very good book and I really recommend it. Its about 700 pages and very in depth but does not go overboard with too much info. Basically there was nothing on the test that the book did not cover except maybe 3-4 questions. Only complaint I have is the cdrom that comes with it only has a 50 question practice exam. The questions are very good but if its a 50 question exam and nothing else they might of well have just included a floppy instead of a cd, but overall well worth 40 bucks.[/img]

Those authors are my teachers at the school that I goto (Trios). Jason is our resident Linux guru, and John used to be a student of his. Jason really helped me out with the Linux+ exam when I took it back in Dec/04... He writes our course material for the Linux+ class that we take. The reason that the book is so in depth is that he takes out the irrelivant information that you don't need to know about, unlike some of the other books out there..(ie: Microsoft Course Books)Man this guy know's his stuff....he teachs the techs at the Canadian Nuclear Power Plants on how to use Linux, plus he is one of the instrustors for the RHCE course too. That guy has more cert's behind his name then you can shake a stick at.

Buy anyway, congrats on the pass.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius (c.551-c.479 BC)
  • adrianmcmillanadrianmcmillan Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Was it Linux+ In Depth or Linux+ In Depth 2005, which one is better? I ask because I read that the latter has many errors.