Cabling Problem.

nate_lewisnate_lewis Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Okay… in our main factory we are having a track built. This track needs at least 10 Ethernet connections to it. The problem is they put the track smack bang in the middle of the floor, so to get to it I have to run cables up the wall 20 metres, across the ceiling 50 metres then down another 20.
Here’s a list of what I have and what I need.

Have:
One cable already run.
Yep, that’s pretty much it. :P

Need:
10 connections into the middle of the floor.
Portability. If they move a piece of machinery, the cable needs to be extendable.
If a switch/hub is needed, it has to be purchased, protected and dustproof (cabinet). (Floor space could become an issue to)
Needs to be done by the end of the week

Add the fact I have 3 patch spaces left in the closest server room, another cabinet will take 3 weeks to get here (has to come via Germany), my boss is a tight ass, and you have my problem.

If any of you have any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Ta

Comments

• lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    A switch will alleviate the wiring length issue (90 meter run and you only have 10 left to work with... how much of that is going from patch panel to switches?), along with giving you the 10 ports you need.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Agreed. Switch will help a bit. You could also go wireless....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I was going to suggest wireless as well. Seems like it would fit this situation quite nicely.
  • nate_lewisnate_lewis Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your quick replies.
    Ricka, wireless would probably cause too many headaches as there is a hell of lot of electronic equipment in the factory. Thinking the distance it has to travel and the signal loss would be to much for it.

I think the best idea is to run two CAT6 cables from our main cabinet to a switch in the middle of the floor, then put another Cabinet on order. The switch will probably die in a week because of all crap it'll suck up, but what can you do. My boss wont be too pleased about having to fork out for a cabinet/switch either, but as I see it he's saving hundreds of £££ on the cable anyways. Plus we can expand the network alot easier later on. I have one 3com SuperStack III 24 port switch left which I normally keep as spare, but i can use it if I cant get another before it all goes live.

All ideas are welcome.
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    You could always run fiber ;)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i was thinking the same thing.. icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    my boss thinks it should just work. full stop. He doesnt understand you have to actually buy things if he wants it to work.
    When you add up the cost of a cabinet, fiber cable, the compatable switch the CAT5e, the back box', face plates, ports, my time.... your talking money.

The new cabinet is going to set him back a good £600 or more alone. If we're going to put a cabinet there, we mays well make it a 42U so we can expand later. It has to take air con, UPS, switch and patches already.

If I can find a cheap fiber switch id have to go with that over CAT6.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Your boss sounds stupid. Run the cable & put in a switch & let him know it costs. I'd go around him & let his boss know what needs to be done. Take his job.
    nate_lewis wrote:
    my boss thinks it should just work. full stop. He doesnt understand you have to actually buy things if he wants it to work.
    When you add up the cost of a cabinet, fiber cable, the compatable switch the CAT5e, the back box', face plates, ports, my time.... your talking money.

The new cabinet is going to set him back a good £600 or more alone. If we're going to put a cabinet there, we mays well make it a 42U so we can expand later. It has to take air con, UPS, switch and patches already.

If I can find a cheap fiber switch id have to go with that over CAT6.

/snort, apparently no one ever told him that properly configuring a network to properly work and be fast wasn't going to be cheap. If he wants quick and easy, run coax ;)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
  • TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187

/snort, apparently no one ever told him that properly configuring a network to properly work and be fast wasn't going to be cheap. If he wants quick and easy, run coax ;)

Coax is easy? :o Try to find an unterminated connection... eeeesh.
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92

Coax is easy? :o Try to find an unterminated connection... eeeesh.

Hehe, well it's usually easier than fiber, and the equipment for a 10Base5 or, god forbid 10Base2, is definetly going to be cheaper than anything else... if you can find it hehe
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768

What? You mean there are jobs where this ISN'T the case? icon_wink.gif
    heh I cant go over his head, he owns the place :P My "IT Co-Ordinator", the class A prick said I should report straight to the big boss because he doesn’t want anything to do with it. He's even taken 2 weeks off just to get out of it. It must be horrible to know you’re useless....
    Anyways, I have another meeting with the big boss today so he can choose which option he wants to go for.... fiber or CAT6. I haven’t given him any cheap options because he knows he'll loose allot more than a few hundred pounds if the track stops. I’m going to recommend the CAT 6 option because it’s easy to install/maintain, fast, reliable, and I have all the parts to start on it straight away.
    And don’t you worry, if he starts trying to cut costs the only other option is 10Base5. Least we wouldn’t have to worry about cable length. icon_cool.gif

I'll let you know the outcome.