Options

Question about booting, ASR & floppys

chuckmac17chuckmac17 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been doing some studying, and my question is this...

I constantly read about what to do on installations using floppys. However floppys are obsolete, so...?? What is used, a CD-R, CD-RW, I know the technology for writing to a CD is different than writing to a floppy, so how does all the booting from floppy, and creating bootdisks, etc. apply now?

HELP!

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are using ASR you have two choices: floppies or floppies. My understanding is ASR looks in the floppy drive only.

I have never used ASR and believe there are better things out to recover a system. Still, it might be on the test... So you need to know it.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have used ASR and it works, but if your computer doesn't have a floppy, then you need to try something else. Recovery console can fix most things. I often find it easiest to have an image ready, along with good backup policies.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    The easiest thing to do, in a real work environment, if the system wont boot into the native XP install.

1. Boot the computer into WinPE 2.0 or 3.0, via CD/DVD or USB drive.
    2. Back up any needed data to an external drive/network drive.
    3. reimage the machine using imageX or WDS (if available).

Recovery console is a pain to wait on, but you might get lucky and get the system up faster than a reimage.

I think ASR is nearly a total waste of time.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I have used ASR and it works.

When I first learnt about ASR, I told my manager about it and he just laughed. Apparently I had confused my MS studies with the real world.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    When I first learnt about ASR, I told my manager about it and he just laughed. Apparently I had confused my MS studies with the real world.

ASR might have been nice back in 2002/2003 but now-a-days...
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »

Yup, there is the MS way and the real-world way. Having used ASR, it is a pain in the butt.