Passed 850

I-ballI-ball Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I took the test this afternoon, passed with an 850icon_cheers.gif. I finished the test in the first 30 minutes, I then reviewed each question and made about 4 changes to my answers. I was actually convinced after the first 10 questions that I was going to fail! The test was all over the place. I did get hit with about 4 virtualization questions and 5 encryption related questions. Then is was some basic security stuff and audit related questions, followed by lots of IDS.

There were several questions that I got hung up on-but relying on my MSCE certifications tests years back- I just answered them quickly and returned to them later. There were also some questions that involved things I have never heard of in my 10 yrs of I.T.

CompTIA needs to hire someone who is properly schooled in grammar:) Some of the questions were poorly construed and required 3 re-reads.

I studied for about 2 1/2 months, using the Sybex Deluxe set - highly recommend. I also used some CBT's and online resources.

Do not bother with Brain ****. I glossed over them exam day and I think I saw 3 out of the 100 questions - they were easy and I did not really need them. NO PORTS!!! I really wanted some too...I was waking up in the morning reciting port names and numbers for 5 daysicon_rolleyes.gif

My only advice for passing this test is this: read multiple sources, know your algorithms, self test yourself using multiple sources.

Good Luck
Paul

Comments

• bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I-ball wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I took the test this afternoon, passed with an 850icon_cheers.gif. I finished the test in the first 30 minutes, I then reviewed each question and made about 4 changes to my answers. I was actually convinced after the first 10 questions that I was going to fail! The test was all over the place. I did get hit with about 4 virtualization questions and 5 encryption related questions. Then is was some basic security stuff and audit related questions, followed by lots of IDS.

There were several questions that I got hung up on-but relying on my MSCE certifications tests years back- I just answered them quickly and returned to them later. There were also some questions that involved things I have never heard of in my 10 yrs of I.T.

CompTIA needs to hire someone who is properly schooled in grammar:) Some of the questions were poorly construed and required 3 re-reads.

I studied for about 2 1/2 months, using the Sybex Deluxe set - highly recommend. I also used some CBT's and online resources.

Do not bother with Brain ****. I glossed over them exam day and I think I saw 3 out of the 100 questions - they were easy and I did not really need them. NO PORTS!!! I really wanted some too...I was waking up in the morning reciting port names and numbers for 5 daysicon_rolleyes.gif

My only advice for passing this test is this: read multiple sources, know your algorithms, self test yourself using multiple sources.

Good Luck
    Paul

Congrats on the pass.

You are going to endure lots of slack for saying you "glossed over" brain **** for the exam. Even looking at brain **** classifies you as a potential "cheater."

A pass means you have a certification; keep studying and staying on top of technology to ensure you justify the cert in a real-life situation.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations. Great score and good post.

Virtualization, encryption, auditing, IDS - all topics on the objectives. And no ports - domething that several recent test takers have mentioned. I'm wondering if this is a just a coincidence or if CompTIA has actually dropped port questions. That would be surprising.

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com
    www.sy0-201.com/blogs
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead

Security+ Tip of the Day
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson

;
    I-ball wrote: »
    The test was all over the place. I did get hit with about 4 virtualization questions and 5 encryption related questions. Then is was some basic security stuff and audit related questions, followed by lots of IDS.
    NO PORTS!!! I really wanted some too...I was waking up in the morning reciting port names and numbers for 5 daysicon_rolleyes.gif

Good Luck
    Paul
  • I-ballI-ball Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bgrablin wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass.
    You are going to endure lots of slack for saying you "glossed over" brain **** for the exam. Even looking at brain **** classifies you as a potential "cheater." A pass means you have a certification; keep studying and staying on top of technology to ensure you justify the cert in a real-life situation.

I understand. I can comfortably say that I did the work and I'm still rereading chapters 4 and 7 again !!!

I've worked with "Dumpers" they were total losers who did not do the work, they just study BD's and collected cert's they did not deserve. Not to mention they really did not know very much.

I come away from this experience with a load of knowledge that I did not have before and I have already started applying it at the job. I'm also seeing things that need serious changes that I really never saw before.

I'm going in the direction of Forensic's next. I've been putting it off for longtime but after this I'm more driven than ever.

Thanks
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass I-Ball

Well i am bit worried on the Virtualization topics - coz Sybex + Syngress ( old edition ) does cover them - apart from a few Wikipedia articles

can someone point me to wr i can get the reqd info icon_rolleyes.gificon_study.gif
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • I-ballI-ball Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dr IT wrote: »
    Well i am bit worried on the Virtualization topics - coz Sybex + Syngress ( old edition ) does cover them - apart from a few Wikipedia articles
    can someone point me to wr i can get the reqd info icon_rolleyes.gificon_study.gif

Just remember this. Virtualization offers you an isolated environment to test software configurations, create test environments or even execute possibly dangerous code. It limits the ability to expose or propagate malicious software to the host or the rest of the network. Virt. also allow you to rebuild the environment from a snapshot in minutes if it becomes unstable or damaged.

Now with all that being said. As soon as you activate the network cards and tie them into your network all what I just mentioned is moot as this VM is now functional part of your network and is at the same level of risk as any other server.

The security advantages and implications of the VM is what they want you to know. If you are studying Server+ I would imaginge that is where they would hit you hard on every aspect of virtualization.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    This Security+ blog entry explains virtualization in a little more detail:

Use of Virtualization in Security

In short, I-ball is on target. Virtualization can be used to provide an isolated test environment.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    www.sy0-201.com
    www.sy0-201.com/blogs

Security+ Tip of day Tweets
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson

Dr IT wrote: »

• ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
  • Samurai004Samurai004 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Very nice! And congrats!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]