Whats the difference?

Doomsday JDoomsday J Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I see that there are two testing centers, Pearson/Vue and Thomson/prometric.

What are the differences between these two? Is it a differenct test?

Any info Appreciated, J
If you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Comments

• TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    No; the tests are the same.

Pearson Vue and Thomson Prometric aren't really testing centers - they're test providers - performing middleman services between the test vendors (Microsoft, Cisco, CompTIA, etc.) and the actual test center (like New Horizons, etc.). They supply the software interface and deliver the exams to the test center.

Test centers can be affiliated with Vue, Prometric, or both. Testing centers can be either good or bad. Some have great equipment, some have bad. Some have personable staff, others have rude staff. Some are quiet, some are way too noisy. Get recommendations and opinions from others who have taken exams in your city.
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • Doomsday JDoomsday J Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Excellent, Thanks!
    If you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything.
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    I've had positive experiences with both. My Microsoft exams were taken at a Vue center. Everything else I've taken with Prometric. I did have a problem with one of the downloads on one of my Prometric exams that delayed it by a day, but I chalked that up to a fluke
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
    I have also had positive experiences with both. I started taking exams with Prometric, so I used them for a long time because I was too lazy/busy to set up a Vue account. I've had absolutely no complaints with Prometric (although I have had a couple of complaints for test centers!). They even let me reschedule an exam I was to have taken within the hour - I had a flat tire and had no way to get to the test center!

When I was ready to take my Check Point exam, I found that only Vue offered it. So I set up my Vue account. Afterwards, to my horror, I had *two* Vue accounts... one with Check Point, Microsoft and CompTIA information, and the other with Novell and Cisco information! After repeated calls to Vue customer service, they told me that they would be unable to link the accounts properly. So, for the longest time, I refused to use them for anything other than what I had to.

Vue did a complete redesign of their Web site and registration system a few months ago. To my surprise, all my account information was collected in ONE PLACE. As a result, I now use Vue every now and then. I find the new Vue registration system to be quite easy to navigate and register.

So, use both. Or either. Your mileage may vary. :)

Disclaimer: Although Thomson Prometric is an affiliate partner with Kaplan's Transcender, Self Test Software and Dearborn Financial Services, the above statements are merely my opinion as an individual, not an employee, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any of the companies owned by Kaplan.
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Disclaimer: Although Thomson Prometric is an affiliate partner with Kaplan's Transcender, Self Test Software and Dearborn Financial Services, the above statements are merely my opinion as an individual, not an employee, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any of the companies owned by Kaplan.[/quote]

Sucks when you have to qualify your statements, doesn't it ;)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    I've gone to the same center for both Prometric and Vue exams. It all depended on what my voucher said. Was worried that I might have a splintered exam history, but that hasnt been the case.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I use Prometric, mainly because of the lack of Vue centers around here. I don't think it matters though....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    Disclaimer: Although Thomson Prometric is an affiliate partner with Kaplan's Transcender, Self Test Software and Dearborn Financial Services, the above statements are merely my opinion as an individual, not an employee, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any of the companies owned by Kaplan.

Sucks when you have to qualify your statements, doesn't it ;)[/quote]

Yeah - I figure I'd better cover my butt, just in case - anything that borders on political discussion or related to the company's agreements gets a disclaimer. Plus, I tend to watch my tongue a little closer with this user name than if I used a normal "joe user" user name.
    Kaplan IT
  • cliffjag1987cliffjag1987 Member Posts: 206
    I use Prometric because this is only our test provider , and got no problems with them