Options

Soul Searching...is IT as a career worth it?!!?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
First thing, I want to thanks all those who post quality posts and do the admin for this site. It is truly a great resource, only wish I would have found it sooner.

This post is going to be a bit dense, I'm trying to make sense of it all...

I've been in the working professionally now for over 10 years. I got my big break into IT during the buildup for Y2K. I had just graduated from undergrad and really didn't have a clue. I started rolling out new desktops/pcs, and also doing some end user training, the future seemed bright and there seem to be no limits. I though within a short period of time I would be a sys admin or a network admin. I knew I wanted to stay away from call center/help desk type of work. I did telemarketing in undergrad and did not like the work. Plus, it also seemed like a black hole. Not alot of people make it out of those positions. Also started to go back to school for my masters in MIS and also started to take some tech courses on the side at the community college.

Then the crash came, tech jobs got hard to come by...I was told that I should take a business analysis position to build up to a tech position, or get laid off. I was young and naive, so I did it. That was the start down a long, deep, dark road. On top of that, I worked with a bunch of uneducated folks, who were really arrogant. Looking back, they acted like this to compensate for their lack of tech and softskills. Unfortunately I started to act like them, which wasn't very good, because it was the only model I had at the time.

To make a long story short, I burnt thru three types of business analysis jobs looking to get into some sort of tech position. It didn't work and I was either fired or quit before I was fired. I worked with end users who could barely turn on their pcs and who wanted the impossible in trying to fix broken systems or insane user requirements. Or doing just alot of data cleanup in my case, hours and hours of having some sort of DBA pipe data into an MS Excel spreadsheet and I would spend my nights and weekends cleaning data. Alot of times I was told this was an easier fix, then trying to have the developer fix the database. This type of work is something a temp job would be way better suited for. I also worked for alot of managers who didn't have either a clue on how the business ran or how the technology could be used to its advantage.

Add this on top of going to grad school at night for an MIS degree. Looking back, colleges are just big businesses that act like an education institution. These college admin folks promised high paying jobs upon completing your degree. I was suckered again. Once I got into the system, I realized that most of my teachers have never worked in industry. I also started to look for job leads into a tech position and would simply get passed from one person to the next, in a never ending cycle.

I graduated in late 2005 and put out over 200 resumes and only had one hit. It was for another business analysis type job, however the company was well respected in that it is supposed to be a great place to work for its employees. I though, lets give this one more shot...

This is where I had my career breakdown. I quit my business analysis job because I was cleaning data 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, and not making much money. So I started to apply for IT help desk jobs. I dreaded doing this because I don't like doing call center work. I lucked out and I got a job doing pc deployment for a company that was finally upgrading its desktop computers from W2K to WinXP in late 2006. I though I could maybe swing from pc deployment job to another pc deployment job, however this didn't happen. I was forced to take a temp help desk job, or otherwise I would have been living out of my car. This is the type of job where you have to talk on the phone for 8 to 10 hours straight. I also started to read some sales books, so I could gain better people skills, which has really helped.

Then I moved to a FT help desk position, another position where I talk 8 to 12 hours straight on the phone. I also started to work on some certs (A+, Network+ and Linux+), which pretty much snuffed out what little there was of my social life. The certs have helped in troubleshooting, building knowledge, and gaining respect among my peers and co-workers.

However, I'm taking a little time off from the cert campaign. After finishing my Linux+, I felt exhausted. Right now, I'm just looking around, thinking. It looks like if I truly want to get to the next level I'll probably have to get an advance cert. Matter of fact, probably will have to get a few more of them. For any of us that have sat down and done the work for one of these, we know these take time and money.

I'm also looking at some of the other IT career boards seeing that alot of people want out of IT. They are putting in too much of their time to keep up at the office or with their skillset and also see their friends jobs offshored to India and China. Or making less pay then the person who was in the position previously.

Where am I going with this?

I have put a lot of time into education and have alot of bad advice thrown my way by unqualified people and not sure if I want to continue on this path. I have my doubts. It has also been pretty frustrating. I'm not a negative person, however with experiences like this, its hard to be positive. I'm closer to 40 then to 21, and yet I'm still living like a college student in his early 20s, due to the lack of career advancement.

Long story short, not sure if I want to continue on this career path...however I have come this far...I have reached a fork in the road and need to make a decision.

Thanks for reading.
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    What state do you live in?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you have any idea where you would go if you got out of IT completely?

You have a grad degree in MIS and help desk experience, have you looked at managing the help desk?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    twiggytwiggy Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey there,

I think what your going through is a perfectly normal response to a fairly ordinary turn of events, and I can understand why your questioning whether its worth it or not.

I think you might find it useful to consider carefully exactly what it is your after. Your clear on what you dont want - no call centre stuff, and no bs "business analyst" positions. So thats a good start, but what part of IT do you enjoy? What articles/magazines/forums do you read, what topics do you get a buzz out of when your studying? What strengths have you shown from your previous work experience, what are you good at, what are you naturally drawn to.
    Once you have a clearer idea of what it is about IT that gives you that nerdy rush we all get, maybe you can target potential careers/jobs better. Instead of pitching 200 resumes in a hit and miss style leaving it to fate, drive harder at a smaller number of jobs that sound interesting and play to your current stengths. Put in 5 applications and find out everything you can about the company your considering - interviews are two-way, and if they sound similar to your previous employers - then withdraw and try somewhere else. You should be just as selective as your prospective employer is, you want to work somewhere that you can develop your skills, have responsibility and grow. If they can't offer that, then they aren't for you.

It sucks that you've had such a raw deal in your career, but you need to own it and focus on the parts you can control, not worry about the things you cant. It doesnt matter if there are only 2 jobs or 200 jobs out there, if theres one that will offer you opportunities to make you happy and acheive your personal goals - then thats the one, and you should fight for it. Opportunities dont come looking for you, you will have to seek it out. Make calls and talk to people, build a network of contacts, let people know your looking and what your looking for.

If you find theres nothing thats suitable, or that you simply dont feel joy or interest in what your doing anymore - maybe it is time for you to move on to something that does give you a spark. In the end, your the person who faces the consequences of your decisions, so you should make the choice that feels right to you.

I hope that helps somewhat, best of luck.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's the help desk blues man. Phone support absolutely sucks. Look for another position where you have a bit more responsibility other than reading a script and talking on the phone. Once you are out of those doldrums, things are a lot brighter.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have no idea your location. I wonder if you are being flexable in following the money. Most IT people move around or commute a number of hours.

Anyhow, the second thing I notice is the Comptia certs. They are... well. I am not a fan and a simple search at monster.com demonstates that the job market doesn't respect them much either. Look into CCNA, MCSA or any more specific entry level cert.

Lastly, what kind of volunteer work do you have on your resume? Professional organizations?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Anyhow, the second thing I notice is the Comptia certs. They are... well. I am not a fan and a simple search at monster.com demonstates that the job market doesn't respect them much either. Look into CCNA, MCSA or any more specific entry level cert.

Ya, I know...I had to start somewhere with the certs. I am starting to look at the CCNA/MCSA and also some of the SANS.
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Lastly, what kind of volunteer work do you have on your resume? Professional organizations?

Back in 2003, I tried to volunteer, however it was a train wreck so I gave it up. I do belong to two pro organizations (InfraGard and a under 40 professional group). Not sure what difference those will make.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    RTmarc wrote: »
    It's the help desk blues man. Phone support absolutely sucks. Look for another position where you have a bit more responsibility other than reading a script and talking on the phone. Once you are out of those doldrums, things are a lot brighter.

That's what I'm told, I'm trying to get out of it...

thanks

-unknown
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    Do you have any idea where you would go if you got out of IT completely?

I was thinking of either doing home sales or some sort of insurance sales...Haven't decided yet.
    blargoe wrote: »
    You have a grad degree in MIS and help desk experience, have you looked at managing the help desk?

No, I'm trying to get out of doing anything with the call centers...I don't want any part of it...

-unknown
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    If you're looking into sales, then maybe you should consider IT consulting.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    If those Comptia certs really beat you up that bad then I guess I am the bearer of bad news as it is not going to get any easier in that regard. If you really want to move up quickly in a pure technology role you will likely have to achieve far more on the certification side.
  • Options
    apd123 wrote: »
    If those Comptia certs really beat you up that bad then I guess I am the bearer of bad news as it is not going to get any easier in that regard. If you really want to move up quickly in a pure technology role you will likely have to achieve far more on the certification side.

Nobody said it was going to be easy, especially on top of working FT too. Keep in mind too, I've done grad school and I had to go back and take a ton of undergrad classes (Accounting, Economics, and C++/C) in order for them to even let me in...I've never met a student who never suffered from burnout, have you?

If it was easy, everyone and their mother would be getting IT certs.

-unknown
  • Options
    TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
    I can understand that you are frustrated. I certainly would be. Unfortunately this is semi bad time to be looking for a job. With the recession, companies have had to get rid of many employees, including middle management. Since you have your MS degree, try to put in applications at all the bigger businesses around your area. Hospitals would be a great example. The way your qualifications are, I think that you would be able to get a position like this. I don't know how far any bigger cities are from you, but it may be worth commuting for awhile. More certs would help, but I don't think that you necessarily need them to get a position, IMO. Good luck.
    Taking 70-294 very soon...again
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Chris, I like what Twiggy said:
    but you need to own it and focus on the parts you can control, not worry about the things you cant.

I agree you have to own it. You have what it takes and you have the level of education...just focus and own it! You know my path and I am hitting it too...failure is not an option! keep that in mind! it is empowering!
    I tell my son all the time Van Dykes never give up! we may fall down but we get back up! like the song " I get knocked down but I get up again!" like the duracel bunny! we just keep going! haahhaha power! You can tooo..you have endurance or you wouldnt have come so far..kick it on man,,you will be unstopable!icon_thumright.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Twiggy and ITDaddy are both right, and that is one of the reasons I did the CompTIA Certs. One of my friend's who has some CompTIA certs said to build a foundation and to start there. So I did.

I just wanted to clear my head with this thread. This industry is tough. No joke.

thanks

-unknown
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Ive only been in the industry for 2 years and went from tier 2 support to one of the lead Sys Admins for a 90-something site network that covers an entire county, geographically.

It takes a lot of persverance, hard work, and a little luck.
  • Options
    Jordus

a lot of luck. I am experiencing what Chris is and man the guys like you Jordus who skyrocket more power to you. but there are guys like me and chris that are as good in IT as you are that are stuck where we live. but you are right hang tough.But I know what chris means personally..

it does suck..but I can see that there are some hots pots that is what keeps Chris and I going..we have hope..and thanks to all you great dudes on this forum. this is a great place to grow....;)icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Just keep your heads up.

It can get tough, and for awhile i didnt know if i was going to get the promotion i got because a lot of guys that were physically more around the CTO were trying to plug theirselves even though they couldnt even spell Active Directory.

Keep learning every day, get your name and resume out there as much as you can, and never turn down an opportunity that is good.

It sounds silly, but go to every tech convention/group/meeting you can and meet as many people as you can.

You may even try finding lead IT people at businesses around your area and contacting them on LinkedIn and asking if they have any openings or any advice for you.
  • Options
    Vancity.rigelVancity.rigel Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jordus wrote: »
    Just keep your heads up.

It can get tough, and for awhile i didnt know if i was going to get the promotion i got because a lot of guys that were physically more around the CTO were trying to plug theirselves even though they couldnt even spell Active Directory.

Keep learning every day, get your name and resume out there as much as you can, and never turn down an opportunity that is good.

It sounds silly, but go to every tech convention/group/meeting you can and meet as many people as you can.

You may even try finding lead IT people at businesses around your area and contacting them on LinkedIn and asking if they have any openings or any advice for you.

As sad as it may seem, often times its who you know as much as what you know. When I was doing financial planning, There was a guy in the office who started at the same time as me, who struggled to get his license and was constantly coming to me for advice on strategies, but he easily had 5 times the business I had, his network was simply better than mine.
  • Options
    Just keep your heads up.

As sad as it may seem, often times its who you know as much as what you know. When I was doing financial planning, There was a guy in the office who started at the same time as me, who struggled to get his license and was constantly coming to me for advice on strategies, but he easily had 5 times the business I had, his network was simply better than mine.

Vancity.rigel/and Jordus

wow both of you have super ideas that are old but great and Jordus
    you do have some very good points here. That is why you are where you are at. Dude you are a go-getter and make the impossible happen.
    Freaking great ideas that I use but not as much as you have. Wow.
    You have done well man! Amazing. I am goingto employ what you guys say. And market IT Daddy ;) hee hee
    I might use someone elses face maybe a super model ! hahaaha
    no serious. I am goingto market myself way more...
    and of course hammer my certs out in crazy way!icon_study.gif
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    RTmarc wrote: »

Check out "Here to help" on Nerdcore, Hacker Music, Hacker Culture - Dual Core

BTW thats me on the track.