Vista network connections problem

bwillfordbwillford Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys, hope you can help.

I have a vista computer that I am trying to get to work on my network. I have tried at 3 different locations (my house, friends house, and work) and I do not see any shared folders/computers. I connect to the network, i can access the internet but when i go to view computers and devices only thing I see is the wireless router. If i connect by doing \\IP ADDRESS to a computer on the network it works fine. If I try to do it by \\Computer Name it DOESNT see the computer.

If I hook this laptop up wired with a ethernet cable I can see all the computers on the network. I have tried making it a private network, category as home, disabled firewall/antivirus and none of that worked. I can ping the computers on network and connect by ip address but not by name. I do have Network Discovery maked as ON.

Any ideas? Thanks guys

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    is File Sharing turned on?
  • bwillfordbwillford Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe so, under network center it is set to On
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    What about Network Discovery?
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
    Network Discovery is also set to on..

I bought this laptop as a display at Best buy, called them thinking maybe they had something disabled. The expert at geeksquad just said "have you updated your drivers?"

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is probably nothing wrong with the computer. I would not worry about that.

Have you checked the Windows Firewall exceptions tab to make sure "Core Networking" is enabled?

When you purchased the PC did they restore it for you or just un install CHARLIE (their desktop lockdown program)?

If they did not restore it, then it is possible that there is some lingering configuration that is causing it. If you are uncertain (don't call them, it would be useless), I would suggest restoring it yourself. Make sure you burn the restore discs first and then just wipe it.
    Firewall = disabled

They just uninstalled charlie

I would rather not the a restore if I don't need to, any other ideas guys? Doesnt see any other computers but other computers can see it..
    From an elevated command prompt type:

netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset C:\reset.txt

Then reboot.
    Unfortunately this still has not corrected the problem.. Starting to run out of ideas.. Any other advice please?
    I would suggest restore at this point. It is very likely that something may have gotten stuck when they uninstalled CHARLIE. To be honest with you I would never trust the OS of a display computer EVER. Restore would be the first thing I would do. Be sure you burn your recovery discs!
  • invader_tvrinvader_tvr Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the information frds
  • jeanlee411jeanlee411 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    What about Network Discovery?
    Network Discovery is also set to on..

I bought this laptop as a display at Best buy, called them thinking maybe they had something disabled. The expert at geeksquad just said "have you updated your drivers?"

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    its been 4 months and your still having the issue?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    its been 4 months and your still having the issue?
    OP Should have taken RK's advice and done a restore.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.