CISSP Training (recommendations?)

flatworldflatworld Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
I obtained access to "skillport" through my job.

Evidently there is a plethora of ISC^2 training(not just CISSP related).

It also provides access to the very latest books that are in Barnes and Noble, but in the scope of our conversation(I'm referring to CISSP books).

Video tutorials, slides with audio(java based), access to the books...I'm thinking that this might be all that I need to study?

Any other recommended materials? CBT Nugget videos etc? Remember, any book you all probably mention, is on the books 24x7 module within skillport. I've heard good things about CISSP training courses online, anyone have experience with related curriculum?
Next up: OSCP

Comments

• Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Shon Harris CISSP book is regarded as the best volume that you can read for the test. Several guys that I work with have gotten the CISSP from that book alone (and obviously a good bit of experience).
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • flatworldflatworld Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Paul,

Amazon.com: CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide, Fifth Edition (9780071602174): Shon Harris: Books

Product Details
    • Hardcover: 1008 pages
    • Publisher: McGraw-Hill Osborne Media; 5 edition (February 8, 2010)
    Is the 4th edition still sufficient?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yes, the 4th edition is more than sufficient for the current CISSP exam. The 5th edition of AIO anticipates changes to the CISSP exam that won't happen until later in 2010.
  • j_a_s_o_nj_a_s_o_n Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I actually don't care for the AIO book. It seems very fluffy to me and not as concentrated on material that's specific to the test. I like the Exam Cram for it and the Sybex book:

Amazon.com: CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional Study Guide (9780470276884): James Michael Stewart, Ed Tittel, Mike Chapple: Books
  • bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    I used:

CISSP for dummies (good book)
    The Harris All in one
    Harris DVD Video Bootcamp (2007 version)
    CISSP Passport
    Offical Guide to the CISSP CBK
    cissp CISSP training Certified Information Systems Security Professional

And a lot of on the job experience
    bcairns wrote: »
    I used:

CISSP for dummies (good book)
    The Harris All in one
    Harris DVD Video Bootcamp (2007 version)
    CISSP Passport
    Offical Guide to the CISSP CBK
    cissp CISSP training Certified Information Systems Security Professional

And a lot of on the job experience

Purchased the 4th Edition harris AIO.

Also using that in conjunction with a decked out skillport account that is provided by my employer. I'm pretty surprised how much material is available with skillport.

I plan to study for 2 months, then take the test in the beginning of December.
    flatworld wrote: »
    I'm pretty surprised how much material is available with skillport.
    Isn't it something like 30 hours of CISSP online raining? I have Skillport where I work too.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Isn't it something like 30 hours of CISSP online raining? I have Skillport where I work too.

Don't know how much exactly because i've only gone through one section but that was a good 4 hrs. Seems very similar to AIO videos in terms of content.
  • carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    I also have access to skillsoft/skillport (if they are the same). Is it a good resource to use?
    GAngel wrote: »
    Don't know how much exactly because i've only gone through one section but that was a good 4 hrs. Seems very similar to AIO videos in terms of content.
    All the CISSP training courses are based off the CISSP Candidate Information Bulletin and (I suspect) the outline of AIO as well. If I taught a CISSP class, I'd certainly use AIO as the text and the format.
    carboncopy wrote: »
    I also have access to skillsoft/skillport (if they are the same). Is it a good resource to use?
    Yeah, they have a lot of interesting stuff. They have a lot of old stuff too, but that depends on what training your employer subscribes too. All you can do is give it a try and see what you think.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    All the CISSP training courses are based off the CISSP Candidate Information Bulletin and (I suspect) the outline of AIO as well. If I taught a CISSP class, I'd certainly use AIO as the text and the format.

Yeah, they have a lot of interesting stuff. They have a lot of old stuff too, but that depends on what training your employer subscribes too. All you can do is give it a try and see what you think.

I'll be using skillport learning module for cissp, shon harrios AIO, CISSP for dummies, and cccure.org for the next 1.5 months.

Any other recommended materials? Is the CBT nuggets package any good, or could this be dropped because of skillport module/video access?
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used Skillport for my cissp as well. It is nowhere near enough but a nice break from the AIO which I only used a couple of chapters for on subjects that I was doing poorly on the practice tests.