Dog eat dog world

Jon KingJon King Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been working at a company for 5 years as a bench technician and manager it is a small mom and pop shop. I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone. We do a lot of work on the county computers and servers. I do just in house repairs we have another technician who does outside work
They service tech that does outside work recently had an addition in the family. So he decided he isn’t going to show up Tuesdays and Thursdays due to we also work on other small business and it has been slow. But today I get a call from our sheriff’s department saying they have a beeping that’s been going on for a few hours.
We had ordered a new UPS unit for them 2 years ago but the technician never swapped it out so it has been setting there for 2 year plugged in with nothing running off it.

He had one computer plugged in to the wall outlet.
My boss the owner arrived on site. He was upset as could be.
A few hours later my boss asked me how I feel about taking over the position
I really like this service tech he is a cool person but we have had issues with him even documenting things like IP addresses passwords and critical info for us.
My question is I know very little about networking where can I start to get my Networking + Cert.
Any ideas will be a big help sorry about all the grammar errors I am not too hot in spelling or grammar.
Thank you in advanced

Jon King

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Network+ would be a good start for you. You could then hit CCNA, if your interest is in networking, or the MCSA / MCITP tracks if you are interested in servers and admin.
    Mike myers puts out a good network+ book, you can read the forums and take tests. Do some hands-on and you should be good!
  • gathumbi2002gathumbi2002 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jon,
    Okay i see your side of the story and you are not alone here. Techexams.net alone has numerous resources you can start from including the numerous post replies that have appeared here. If you have some cash to spare i recommend you get Network+ study guide by Todd Lammle the new edition. this will take you through all the nuaces of networking even as a begginer.

My small ten cents worth of advice.

Good luck.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□

My small ten cents worth of advice.

Good luck.

I'd say that's worth at least $3.00 icon_wink.gif
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Network+ would be an ideal first stepping stone.

I'm not sure how current the technotes are...but I can't imagine they wouldn't be useful at least. Plus they are free icon_wink.gif
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/network/264-technotes-network.html

Good luck!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Jon King wrote: »
    I have been working at a company for 5 years as a bench technician and manager it is a small mom and pop shop. I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone. We do a lot of work on the county computers and servers. I do just in house repairs we have another technician who does outside work
    They service tech that does outside work recently had an addition in the family. So he decided he isn’t going to show up Tuesdays and Thursdays due to we also work on other small business and it has been slow. But today I get a call from our sheriff’s department saying they have a beeping that’s been going on for a few hours.
    We had ordered a new UPS unit for them 2 years ago but the technician never swapped it out so it has been setting there for 2 year plugged in with nothing running off it.

He had one computer plugged in to the wall outlet.
    My boss the owner arrived on site. He was upset as could be.
    A few hours later my boss asked me how I feel about taking over the position
    I really like this service tech he is a cool person but we have had issues with him even documenting things like IP addresses passwords and critical info for us.
    My question is I know very little about networking where can I start to get my Networking + Cert.
    Any ideas will be a big help sorry about all the grammar errors I am not too hot in spelling or grammar.
    Thank you in advanced

Jon King

Jon,

Have look at the network + book mentioned. Meanwhile just get a few devices and start to configure the NICs with IP addresses and set about getting things taking to one another. Use a hub if you cant get your hands on a switch or two.
  • Jon KingJon King Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a Network + book back from 2007 I dont know if its current for the 2009 cert.
    I will be doing more hands on thorugh my employer hopefully.

I hope we get rid of the current field service tech hes not doing his job like he should its ticks me off because he makes more for doing little work.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a Network + book back from 2007 I dont know if its current for the 2009 cert.
    I will be doing more hands on thorugh my employer hopefully.

I hope we get rid of the current field service tech hes not doing his job like he should its ticks me off because he makes more for doing little work.

The concepts havn't changed. It'll do for getting you fast tracked in your work.
  • Jon KingJon King Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GAngel wrote: »
    The concepts havn't changed. It'll do for getting you fast tracked in your work.

Ok Thank you ALL very much for the info
    Do they have any SIM Software
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542

The 2007 Network+ book will still give you the information you need (IP addresses, network hardware, etc).

Good Luck!

I've been in exactly the same situation, except is wasn't an addition to his family that caused him to work less, it was a love for a certain Canadian whiskey.

Bench Tech (Answering the Phone): "Hello _____ computers, how can I help you?"
    Client: "Hi, your onsite tech is here."
    Bench Tech: "Ok?"
    Client: "He fell asleep working on a computer."
    Bench Tech: "I'm sorry, can you wake him?"
    Client: "Yes, but he falls back to sleep again."
    Client: "Also, he smells like booze."
    Bench Tech: "Can you grab his keys, so he can't leave? We will be out there to pick him up."