Study material for 290

SupermiguelSupermiguel Member Posts: 122
So i have A+, N+, Sec+, and MCP (270)... I guess to be an MCSA i have to take 290 and 291... So staring which 290 i just boutgh the cbt nuggets for it... Which book should i get to study for it???

so how is this book : http://www.amazon.com/MCSA-MCSE-Self-Paced-Training-70-290/dp/0735622892/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255106097&sr=8-1 compared with http://www.amazon.com/MCSA-MCSE-70-290-Exam-Cram/dp/0789736179/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255106097&sr=8-2

Thanks

Comments

• thatguy85thatguy85 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used the first book, but beware... It will absolutely put you to sleep if you aren't used to reading wordy dry material. It contains a lot of good info... It's just boring lol.

Personally, I'd go with the second.
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    I used both of those.
    I think the first one (MS Press) is the best one as far as preparing for the test.
    2nd book is good for reading to get a better idea.
    But again, when studying for the test, 1st book is money!
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think the self-test software that comes with the MS Press books is the best out there for seeing exactly where you stand.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • SupermiguelSupermiguel Member Posts: 122
    Super99 wrote: »
    I used both of those.
    I think the first one (MS Press) is the best one as far as preparing for the test.
    2nd book is good for reading to get a better idea.
    But again, when studying for the test, 1st book is money!

did you have any problems with the MS press book?? alot of people hate it.. since its very boring and very hard to keep reading such of dry material... Would u recommend reading that one instead of the exam cram?
  • rhauser44rhauser44 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think the self-test software that comes with the MS Press books is the best out there for seeing exactly where you stand.

Does the self-test software come with only the single copies? I purchased the MCSE Sef-Paced Training Kit and no Self-Test software was included. Just wondering.

Wish me luck BTW, this first-time poster is taking 70-290 on Wednesday! icon_study.gif
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    So i have A+, N+, Sec+, and MCP (270)... I guess to be an MCSA i have to take 290 and 291... So staring which 290 i just boutgh the cbt nuggets for it... Which book should i get to study for it???

so how is this book : Amazon.com: MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-290): Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server(TM) 2003 Environment, Second Edition (9780735622890): Dan Holme, Orin Thomas: Books compared with Amazon.com: MCSA/MCSE 70-290 Exam Cram: Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment (2nd Edition) (978078973617icon_cool.gif: Dan Balter, Patrick Regan: Books

Thanks

I've used both, the second book is an easier read and should be ok if you've got the practical experience with server 2003. I agree with others that the MS books are very thorough but can be a bit dry. The 290 book is not as bad as the others in the set of MCSE/A Training Kit books.