I Am No Longer an IT Professional

SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
As of 5pm on October 2nd, 2009, I will no longer be working in IT. My company just laid off almost half of our staff due to severe budget cuts and the drying up of VC funds. Being the second of two IT people, I was one of the unlucky ones to get the axe. I'll be working the next week and a half to transition over my projects to my counterpart, along with teaching both him and our supervisor how some of the new toys I've set up work. Sadly, my severance is not substantial, (an extra week of pay, on top of paying out my vacation hours), but it's not all bad.

Currently, I'm enrolled in 8.0 units of classes at the local community college, starting the first of four semesters to earn a transfer degree to UC Berkeley to study electrical engineering and computer science. I'll be taking on considerably heavier class-loads in coming semesters, including some co-enrollment at the university. I've already been approved for some student loans and a couple of grants, and I'm working on writing some more essays and filling out more scholarship paperwork. Along with unemployment benefits (for as long as I have them), this might finally be the time for me to return to school and make a real push for it. Hence, the notion that I am no longer going to be an IT professional and become a professional student.

This doesn't mean I'm through with pursuing certs and learning about all things IT-related, (I'm sure I'll be working IT for my school(s) before I know it,) and I'm certainly not going to stop partaking here at TechExams.net. I'm probably going to go off on a different path, taking up research and maybe see about doing some teaching, once I get to grad-school and beyond. So, basically, nothing's changing except what I rant about and the type of work I'm going to be procrastinating on.

My goals for the next 12 months:
  • Finish my MCSE (70-293, 70-294, and 70-299)
  • Start (and finish) the CCNP
  • Finish up my A.S. in Computer Information Systems
  • Re-learn and expand my C/C++/Java knowledge for future classes
  • Dust off my old guitar and stop making excuses not to be practicing
  • Dust off my old @$$ and stop making excuses not to be in the gym

The next 24 months:

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear about that, but it sounds like you have a good plan in place and won't be wallowing in self-pity. I lost a contract job just after starting on my certs and having the extra time allowed me to finish the MCP and get my current job
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    As of 5pm on October 2nd, 2009, I will no longer be working in IT. My company just laid off almost half of our staff due to severe budget cuts and the drying up of VC funds. Being the second of two IT people, I was one of the unlucky ones to get the axe. I'll be working the next week and a half to transition over my projects to my counterpart, along with teaching both him and our supervisor how some of the new toys I've set up work. Sadly, my severance is not substantial, (an extra week of pay, on top of paying out my vacation hours), but it's not all bad.

Currently, I'm enrolled in 8.0 units of classes at the local community college, starting the first of four semesters to earn a transfer degree to UC Berkeley to study electrical engineering and computer science. I'll be taking on considerably heavier class-loads in coming semesters, including some co-enrollment at the university. I've already been approved for some student loans and a couple of grants, and I'm working on writing some more essays and filling out more scholarship paperwork. Along with unemployment benefits (for as long as I have them), this might finally be the time for me to return to school and make a real push for it. Hence, the notion that I am no longer going to be an IT professional and become a professional student.

This doesn't mean I'm through with pursuing certs and learning about all things IT-related, (I'm sure I'll be working IT for my school(s) before I know it,) and I'm certainly not going to stop partaking here at TechExams.net. I'm probably going to go off on a different path, taking up research and maybe see about doing some teaching, once I get to grad-school and beyond. So, basically, nothing's changing except what I rant about and the type of work I'm going to be procrastinating on.

My goals for the next 12 months:
    • Finish my MCSE (70-293, 70-294, and 70-299)
    • Start (and finish) the CCNP
    • Finish up my A.S. in Computer Information Systems
    • Re-learn and expand my C/C++/Java knowledge for future classes
    • Dust off my old guitar and stop making excuses not to be practicing
    • Dust off my old @$$ and stop making excuses not to be in the gym

The next 24 months:

That really sucks but it is good you've got a plan and seem to be taking things in stride.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    sorry to hear the bad news, but it's a start to a whole new chapter of your life. You've got a well thought out plan that will set you on the road to success. Good luck with your transition from pro to student!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    My friend who's been working for Microsoft (seattle) for last 11 got laid off yesterday...it sucks.

I'm glad you have a sound plan, Good luck with that, I'm sure it will work out, you have the right spirit ! :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    People that have the ability to find the good out of the bad things that happen are always more probable to succed, IMHO.

Sorry for your loss on the job, but I congratulate you for taking it the way you are, making the best of it and planning ahead.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I Am No Longer an IT Professional

Doesn't that sort of imply that you were one in the first place? icon_scratch.gif

Seriously though, I'm really sorry to hear that. We've both had a pretty rough year. I somehow landed on my feet, and I'm sure things will turn around for you before you know it. Hang in there and definitely stay in touch.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    As of 5pm on October 2nd, 2009, I will no longer be working in IT. My company just laid off almost half of our staff due to severe budget cuts and the drying up of VC funds.

WOW icon_sad.gif

Really tough news. Very sorry to hear this for you icon_sad.gif

Certainly, someone with your skills and it sounds like real good attitude...will find something without too much difficulty? :)

Best wishes!!
    PW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So sorry to hear about the upcoming rough times, but you are certain to succeed since you have a GREAT attitude about it and were able to not just mope about the loss of a job but to find the good and make the best of a bad situation. Things will get a bit rough, but you'll be able to pull through it with hard work and come out in a better position you were before this hit you.

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing your success story later!
  • bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You sound like you have your head screwed on straight. You will have no problems with achieving your aforementioned goals. Good luck in your future endeavors.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that Slowhand. Your a top lad though, no bitterness about being laid off and even willing to do a proper transition, I guess you will have some stable references there!

Good luck with your plans as well, sounds like you have thought and planned this well!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear this Slowhand, as per previous posts though with an attitude like yours, you will go far.

Best of luck.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    You can't keep a good Slowhand down.

Really impressed you haven't dwelt on it and come up with a very good plan for the future.

Just got to adjust to being one of the great unwashed again.

Best of luck mate.
    Kam.
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Determination is the key...you seem to be determined about what you want to do. You should do just fine. Good Luck with your plan.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like you have a great plan for the future. Best of Luck.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Thanks for all the well-wishes guys, I really appreciate it. I'm pushing through this next week at the ol' job, but I think it might be nice to have a little time off and get back to focusing on my classes. Given that I'm only a part-timer this semester, it's not too stressful and I can get a few other things done before I launch back into a heavy workload.

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    That really sucks but I'm glad you're not stressing about it. Don't forget to file for that unemployment and don't forget to look into whatever training assistance programs the state may offer for you to take advantage of. Good luck breaking into teaching!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just a little comment... A job or lack of a job does not make one any less of a professional. I think many people on this forum can vouch for your knowledge and skill.

Good luck with your plans!
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Great attitude Slowhand, really great. I'd give you a reference based purely on what little I know about you.

Good luck for the future, I have no doubts everything will work out for you no matter what path you go down icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    Excellent plan, OP. I am in a similar situation. I was an entrepreneur who had to sell his company because I didnt find more sources to finance our operations. I didnt sell it for a profit, I ended up losing most of my investment and after only 8 days, I am all excited and happy because of the amount of time I now have to study and get some certifications (I already finished the official certification guide and got 67% of the questions in the practice test right on the first take, doing much better than I thought i would).

Good luck and keep it up!
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that slowhand - but u really have a plan all set . All the best for your future venture...

i did notice a couple of jobs listed on our careers section jus my quick thought ( can u have a word with ur Mgrs to switch to one of those listed or are those jus to fill the careers section of your company site )
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You may not be doing IT for a while, but your plan still makes you a Professional. Just don't become a Professional Student. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am sorry to hear about your layoff, but I know you will make the best of it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Dr IT wrote: »
    i did notice a couple of jobs listed on our careers section jus my quick thought ( can u have a word with ur Mgrs to switch to one of those listed or are those jus to fill the careers section of your company site )

Unfortunately, the "Careers" section of our site hasn't been updated since the layoffs. The news came to our managers about a week and a half ago, and then to the rest of us, that the money wasn't coming in and that layoffs had to happen. A good idea, but not one that would be workable in this particular situation.

*** Update ***

Man, school's rougher than I'd like to admit. I have to practically re-learn one of the prerequisites (trigonometry) in my spare time if I'm going to pass this damn calculus class and move on. Heh, it's almost enough of a workload to miss the day-to-day fires and server-explosions of IT. . . almost. icon_lol.gif

For the most part, things are working out. My commute's a killer so I may look into moving or finding a school closer to me after the end of the semester. I'm still planning on finishing my MCSE in the next few months, as well as starting up on CCNP and possibly even MCITP: Enterprise Administrator sometime in the half-year after that, but I'm staying focused on my classes and scholarship-essay-writing for the time being. On that note, I've got all the financial aid I need to stay put and just go to school for a while, (strangely enough, with this economy,) so I'm in good shape so far. icon_study.gif

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Glad to hear it!

And yes, I also had to hit Trig hard to do well in Calc icon_sad.gif
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear about that man. Your plan is good. Keep up the hard work and you will be back with a vengence in no time!!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that, but you're a very bright guy and will go far.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You will be fine. Good luck with everything!
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Best of luck. I'm ganifully employed in the IT sector making around $32k a year and have lost all interest in the industry. Ive been dealing with computers and networking for the better part of 10yrs now and it just isn't the same.

The wife wants me to go back to school and try for my M.Arch degree. It's possible but not for about 4yrs. She needs to finish her PhD first.

So best of luck to you... I hope you find what you're looking for.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus