I Feel So Stupid

etolsonetolson Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well, I took the Security+ Test and failed and have never felt so stupid in my life. I really felt like I would pass. I am new to the security field. After being out of college and working in for the State and now for a Law firm, I decided to go back to school. I thought I was brilliant when it came to computers --- since I knew how to create a web page and knew how all about Word, etc. I was in for the shock of my life when I took my first Security Course. I had no idea what VPN, Packet Filter, Routers, Switches, etc were. I did not even know what a firewall was....all that I ever knew on a computer was self taught.

I have taken two Security classes at the college (where I am majoring in Information Systems Security). Now, after failing the test, that my teacher said I would "ace", I feel so stupid.

Any suggestions, any ideas, any books, ANYTHING???!!!!!

Thanks

Elizabeth

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello Elizabeth

Don't feel too bad - some of us have failed on this particular exam more than once. It does however appear that your tutor was somehow comparing the level of difficulty of Sec+ to A+ and Net, and that is a bad mistake.
    For study resources I suggest ..
    Tcats excellent pdf - the full one and not the free version.
    CBT Nuggets
    PrepLogic practice exam simulator

Most importantly, check out the study notes on this very site http://www.techexams.net/technotes.php
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    RussS recommended all the material I actually used for my exam, which I also failed the first time around.

Don't be so hard on yourself, this is a notoriously difficult exam, especially if you're somewhat new to certifications. You'll get it next time.
  • etolsonetolson Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where can I get Tcats excellent pdf - the full one and not the free version.

Thanks
    alphageekproductions.com
    Follow Webmasters link and check out the ExamInsight book. That's what I used when I was studying.
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just remember that all aspects of anything are often different.

For instance: I can build a puter easilly. I can design systems based on the needs of the user, replace old parts, work with ancient puters that should be replaced, etc.

However, I can't create a web page for beans. I can't program a computer to do more than say, remind me I have an appointment.

I'm OK networking, but not super at it. I'm pretty good at desktop support and some Word, but don't know Access for crud.

Anyway, they point is that there's a lot overall to be a guru. Focus on what you're good at, and slowly expand, you'll do fine.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    Elizabeth,

Don't kick yourself over it - the Security+ isn't very forgiving, only allowing you to miss 17 questions (need 83% to pass). Plus, the wording is sometimes questionable, in my opinion. Best you can do is study the material that you had trouble with on the exam and try again.

I agree with Russ - Security+ is by no means an "entry-level exam". CompTIA recommends 2 or more years of security experience before taking it.

Best of luck on your next attempt!
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • Sulblk27Sulblk27 Member Posts: 148
    Hi etolson, PLEASE do not feel any less than who you are over this test. I say this for two reason (maybe more when it's all said and done icon_rolleyes.gif )...however, I missed the test the FIRST time with a score of 660. Bound and determined I went for the second test, (already thinking of the books I needed for the next cert- CCNA) so confident I passed- I scored 748 icon_eek.gif ...and beleive me I just KNEW the test was easy that go round and of course I was shown wrong. My mistake....after revisitng my study material, I blew at least three easy questions. This will never do!..One failure was enough, when pride steps into it, but two..icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif ....as it stands now I will jump that horse again next week. I did get another book, Security+ from Sybex. So along with this site, Security+ All-In-One and exam cram it may work out a little better. The last point to me is-if you can find more than one study material (I found info in one book that was not in another) and go for the gusto.
    skully93 and RussS, offer great advice...as well as the rest of the group----
    Someone asked me when will my studying be over......
  • TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    I found the Security+ Study Guide by Syngress to be quite helpful.
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    You'll get it next time.
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I have the Sybex book, how does that book compare to the rest?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I have the Sybex book, how does that book compare to the rest?
    I wasn't too happy with the first edition, second should be better. Regardless, you should combine it with another guide to get compelte coverage.
  • jsondjsond Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□

Out of the 3 books I read the Syngess was most helpful to me. They may go a bit overboard on wireless and operational/physical security (certainly not a bad thing) but it was my favorite of the 3 I read. Actually I think they go way overboard on wireless but considering that is the big thing now and might be incororated more in future exams it is worth it) The crypto chapter was the best to me as that can be very confusing with, digital sigs - non repudation, confidentiality, integrity, etc. They seemed to break it down in a way that was easily understandable. Mileage may vary but it was my favorite resource of the 3 books I read.
  • dosed69dosed69 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would probably recommend that you try for your NET+ certification before you try to tackle the SECURITY+ exam. A lot of the stuff that you need to know for security is covered in that exam, it will help you get to know all the different elements of networks, and I believe that it is more forgiving as well. Another possibility is even getting your A+ before anything and getting a bit more of a solid foundation in understanding computers. Just my thoughts, hope it helps.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Bascially I just went to comptia's website, printed the page that has the exam objectives and spent about 1 month doing google searches on the exam objectives and reading and practicing as much as I could. I never used an exam prep (other than the one on this site) or particular books to prepare for this exam. Make sure you master the port use/number exam on tbis site, it's the best one I've seen. That was pretty much it. I think one key thing to remember with all IT exams is to make sure you have a firm understanding of the exam objectives, I struggled with Microsofts 70-216 until someone drove this point home to me. Good luck the next time, you'll pass then, just keep studying. icon_wink.gif
  • zach the mackzach the mack Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there dont feel bad I fluket the test also, I think it would be a good idea if you got a good network book so you can, know the basics of networking. I think it would help you out a lot . I am also studying in college security. and I thought I could pass the test afater I took the class. but know luck.so I bought some software but I have no time to study. cause outher classes Im takeing. I just bout a new book im hope it will help me. it is security + by siibex. it seems to be good. the sofware I got was from transender I dont have much time to play with it.

If I can help let me know.
    Zach
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    The Security + exam is very difficult. I would agree with the suggestion of becoming network + certified before taking this exam. Also a level of experience is needed as well, so self-practice (Home-Labs) would help greatly.

Good Luck.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • KittyfresitaKittyfresita Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□

I failed the first time I took it and I got the Syngress book because it was highly recommended. As a matter of fact I found it covered more deeply some of the topics that appear the most in the exam, such as IPSec, PKI and digital signatures.
    Also the technotes from here are really good.

Other thing I do is taking all the practice exams I can, that might give you an idea of how prepare you are for the exam.

On my second attempt last week I nailed it!

:D Good look!
    MCP, A+,Network+, MCSA, Security+, ITIL Foundations
    "And in the end, the love you take
    is equal to the love we made..."