TrainSignal vs. CBT on ZBF

aaronraaronr Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I don't know if this has already been brought to light on this forum and I apologize if this is redundant.

I have both TrainSignal and CBT for my CCNA Security studies.

I'm currently going through the Zone Based Firewall configuration portion on both videos. There is a BIG difference between the videos in this regard.

The difference...
CBT uses the most current SDM version 2.5 which includes the actual Zone Based functions and has a different GUI in the Edit firewall configuration.

TrainSignal uses version 2.4. This SDM version uses the CBAC 'Classic' firewall configuration and doesn't include the Zone Based Firewall functions. You can see the version when Chris initially brings SDM into view to start the configuration.

Has anyone else noticed this discrepancy? If not, I would recommend using the CBT's for Zone Based Firewall. I think Jeremy does a better job at teaching this portion anyway.

I was also surprised that the exam guide didn't really have any SDM configuration for ZBF even though it's an exam topic.

I'm still trying to figure out which is better for exam prep. Chis(TS) has a tendency to confuse me from time to time whereas I always 'get' what Jeremy(CBT) is teaching. But, I'm concerned that Jeremy isn't giving me the detail necessary to pass the exam. I wish someone could come out and say, "CBT's are very thorough for the exam." so I could focus on a single product. I don't know if that would be a violation of an NDA or not but I wouldn't mind the opinion if someone would offer.

I've scheduled the Exam for Oct. 23rd. Hopefully whatever I'm doing is enough. I'm up against a hard deadline of Nov 2nd when my CCNA expires.

Nothing like some good procrastination to help you focus.

Comments

• pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    From the exam blueprint:

Implement the Cisco IOS firewall feature set using SDM

-Describe the operational strengths and weaknesses of the different firewall technologies

-Explain stateful firewall operations and the function of the state table

-Implement Zone Based Firewall using SDM

Here’s how I would rate the materials that I used:

1) CBT Nuggets
    2) Hands on labs (including SDM)
    3) Cisco Press Book

The Cisco Press Lab Workbook wasn't avaliable when I took the test. If it was, I probably would have used it as well.

Good Luck!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • aaronraaronr Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply. I too am using the Cisco Press, CBT's and GNS3. I also have TrainSignal's video set.

I don't know if you mis-understood what I was speaking about but I realize that the SDM configuration for Zone Based Firewall is in the exam blueprint.

I was specifically saying that there is an issue with TrainSignal's ZBF video in that they use an older SDM version and wanted to make sure other's were aware of this in case they didn't use the CBT's.

What I was also saying is that the Ciscopress exam cert guide doesn't really offer much on the SDM configuration of Zone Based Firewall, which I found odd.

Sorry, my original post was convoluted, this test has got me pretty anxious.

Thanks again for the support.
  • hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    I was going to post about this exact same issue, im making sure that i configure zone based firewalls through the SDM like jeremy does it on the cbt nuggets videos.

Im not too fond on the cisco press cert guide, ive read it once all the way through now im just focusing on the cbt nuggets videos and gns3.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I understood – Just wanted to emphasize that the blueprint specifically says implement ZBF and NOT CBAC = CBT > Trainsignal :)

Do everything that Jeremy does on live equipment (or in GNS3) and you should be in good shape.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • NullCodeNullCode Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I noticed it too. I only used CBT and Cisco Press for the exam.
    I recommend knowing SDM, and how to config/debug ZBF with SDM.
    Good Luck
  • aaronraaronr Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the information and support.

Only 8 days away from the exam.

I'm finishing up on my VPN studies, then it'll be review until exam day.

I'm still concerned that I'm not retaining the concepts at the level of detail that the exam will cover. It seems like, if I remember correctly, I thought I had things down cold for my CCNA but it was much more difficult than I expected.

Anyway, thanks again!
  • NullCodeNullCode Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCNA:Security is a lot easier than CCNA. Good Luck!