You know you're marrying the right woman when..

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
..She asks you to install Ubuntu 9.04 over her Windows Vista install :)

No joke! I'm getting married this weekend..lots of plans and all kinds of stuff going on....and today my fiancee asked me to rid her of Vista. I'm not a Vista hater or anything, but I love ubuntu. The funny thing is, she didn't just ask because of all the desktop effects I have on ubuntu..but because she's been using my desktop for the last couple of months, and just seems to enjoy it better.

For those of you who were wondering, I'm not installing Ubuntu on her laptop until I have a copy of Windows 7 handy, so that if/when we need to revert to being a windows household, we'll have the ability to.

I know this is very random, but it made me excited!

Comments

• apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Congrats on both! ;)
    Usus magister est optimus
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    itsatrap.jpg
    Good luck to all!
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    itsatrap.jpg

hahahahahahahaha so good.

Congratz Mrock, keep it real and enjoy!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Enjoy it while you can. After the first year of marriage (if not sooner) she'll probably want to go back to windows.... and then she'll make you go back to windows.... and next thing you know you won't remember the last time you got to hang out with your old Linux buddies. icon_lol.gif

Congratulations and Good Luck!!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds too good to be true. I'd go check my CC for shoe purchases if I were you icon_wink.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! My Wife actually hates Vista, and I am hoping to move her over to Ubuntu eventually :)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd move mine over but I don't want to get 50 million phone calls during the day to be her personal tech support when she can't figure something out. Its always nice to have Windows computer in the house in case you need it anyway.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mrock4 wrote: »

Sounds like she's great if you prefer performance over usability and eye-candy...

I mean... congrats!
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    itsatrap.jpg

HAHAHAH brilliant.... ( Although Hero, you now owe me can of beer and possibly a new screen and carpet )

I got married 18 months ago after 14 years together. I just showed her my new switch block of 3X3550 emi and 2x2950 si and she say "means nothing to me .. gotta go, I'm missing my programs" icon_sad.gif

Still, on the up-side, I've never paid a penny in pension and she is 12 years my junior so that's 12 years pseudo pension right there :) < always thinking sideways >
    Kam.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Enjoy it while you can. After the first year of marriage (if not sooner) she'll probably want to go back to windows.... and then she'll make you go back to windows....

But eventually you'll put your foot down, you are the head of the house after all, and state that, although you promise not to go near the back streats of Linux ever again, you will not conform and XP is where you will stay and just let her dare try to change your mind !

Grats to you both :)
    Kam.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Mine is MAC-A-HOLIC so I'll never have to worry about Windows machines in my house :D
  • t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    dynamik wrote: »
    sounds like she's great if you prefer performance over usability and eye-candy...

I mean... Congrats!

lol....
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I would divorce my wife if she wanted to use Ubuntu or OS X ;)
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I'd move mine over but I don't want to get 50 million phone calls during the day to be her personal tech support when she can't figure something out. Its always nice to have Windows computer in the house in case you need it anyway.

Like you have a clue how to use Linux.icon_cool.gif

Congrats Mike!
  • bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    itsatrap.jpg

Milk came out my nose. And I'm not drinking any milk. Hilarious.

My wife is like a stem cell, she gets used to whatever you put her next to. I upgraded her install numerous times, without her knowledge and haven't heard anything.

The only complaint I received is how much she likes the apple keyboards. So I bought her the mini bluetooth one for her lappy and it works great. Beats paying 1.5k for a macbook just because the keyboard is nicer.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    Like you have a clue how to use Linux.icon_cool.gif

You would be surprised how far I've come. I got tired of being the only person in the group not knowing my way around the different servers we have so I picked up a book and changed all my stuff to Ubuntu (and DSL on my crappy little Gasteway laptop) at home. Especially after "you know who" next to me left I don't have a guru to ask questions anytime I need to do something. It starts to get embarrassing when the techs know more than me even though thats not my job. I also got tired of googling for every command I needed to run.

Now I just need to pick up Perl, but I don't think I'll ever be able to catch up with some of the guys here on that.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

No joke! I'm getting married this weekend..lots of plans and all kinds of stuff going on....and today my fiancee asked me to rid her of Vista. I'm not a Vista hater or anything, but I love ubuntu. The funny thing is, she didn't just ask because of all the desktop effects I have on ubuntu..but because she's been using my desktop for the last couple of months, and just seems to enjoy it better.

For those of you who were wondering, I'm not installing Ubuntu on her laptop until I have a copy of Windows 7 handy, so that if/when we need to revert to being a windows household, we'll have the ability to.

I know this is very random, but it made me excited!

hehehe..just to put another spin on this you know you have married the right woman when she hasn't walked out on you after a couple of years of lab practice evenings and weekends. That happens a lot. Women like to spend time with their men, and if they can't eventually many find someone who can. Just something to think about in the months and years ahead after the wedding. Love your wife not your lab. Congratulations!
    Turgon wrote: »
    hehehe..just to put another spin on this you know you have married the right woman when she hasn't walked out on you after a couple of years of lab practice evenings and weekends. That happens a lot. Women like to spend time with their men, and if they can't eventually many find someone who can. Just something to think about in the months and years ahead after the wedding. Love your wife not your lab. Congratulations!

You got that right... icon_thumright.gif
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    haha..I thoroughly enjoyed the responses fella's..thanks for the words of wisdom :)

I thought it was so funny that I read a response or two to her (and explained it's on techexams), and the reply I got was "a nerd board? It's a NERD BOARD?! <unstoppable laughter>".......needless to say we dropped the subject icon_sad.gif

She's been pushing me hard for my CCIE written before the New Year. Ambitious, but I love the fact she understands the time commitment (and financial) required to attain the IE, and she still supports me.
    and the reply I got was "a nerd board? It's a NERD BOARD?!

Ha Ha Ha Ha icon_lol.gif
    She's been pushing me hard for my CCIE written before the New Year. Ambitious, but I love the fact she understands the time commitment (and financial) required to attain the IE, and she still supports me.

Good Woman...
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    She's been pushing me hard for my CCIE written before the New Year.
    Anyone who was in the military, even if they were single, knows how special "military wives" are (and I'd guess "military husbands" too -- but I was Infantry so I never met any "military husbands").

Hum..... now that I think about it..... the "military wife" hierarchy seemed to follow the "chain of command" and was related to "husband rank" -- maybe she thinks the same rules apply to "nerd wives" icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Anyone who was in the military, even if they were single, knows how special "military wives" are (and I'd guess "military husbands" too -- but I was Infantry so I never met any "military husbands").

Hum..... now that I think about it..... the "military wife" hierarchy seemed to follow the "chain of command" and was related to "husband rank" -- maybe she thinks the same rules apply to "nerd wives" icon_lol.gif

Absolutely. Takes a special breed to deal with deployments and late/early recalls, etc. It is true- the hierarchy of the military wives. I always thought that was funny. I actually just attended the E6 board two weeks ago..which marked the start of my leave. It was pretty sweet to nail the board, then walk out there and begin leave!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on tying the knot, Mrock4. icon_thumright.gif

As for the Linux install, just remember: it's important to take an interest in each others' activities to keep those lines of communications open. Before you know it, you'll be hashing out Perl scripts together, pinging the same routers, and hanging out on the same message boards. Just remember, what you do behind closed ports is your own business, and nobody wants to hear about how you "keep it interesting" by installing OS/2 for the weekend or deciding to Swing.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

..... Women like to spend time with their men, and if they can't eventually many find someone who can.

icon_exclaim.gif Not all women ;) I prefer mine is happy and productive. It's been a great many years nagging him to GET a hobby so that I can have more time in my lab :D
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

Keep her. And make sure she keeps you. There are very few women out there that are understanding to that degree.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

icon_exclaim.gif Not all women ;) I prefer mine is happy and productive. It's been a great many years nagging him to GET a hobby so that I can have more time in my lab :D

Yes you are correct. A lot of men walk too if they dont get to spend time with their partners. But whatever your gender be aware that many partners will pack their bags and leave if they are seeing far too little of their significant other!
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460

Oh soooo true!

2 IE's worth of lab study later and my wife's still with me icon_thumright.gif

Although we did sit down and have "the talk" the other month about me spending to much time in the lab and I'm doing less of that lately. :D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
    Since when is Plantwiz a female? :) .....I just found out! Very good to know after several years here..haha.

She's been great. The push she provides to me for certification goes both ways. I am 110% behind her to complete her degree. I'm quite amazed the level of support she provides..seems unreal! I was clueless when I heard newly minted CCIE's talk about the support from their family/wives etc..until I began my pursuit (even though it's taking forever) with my fiancee. I would absolutely not be able to do it without her. Of course I'm being optimistic, but as a highly motivated individual, there is no option of "if" but rather "when"...

72 hours till the ceremony. Wow! Time is about to start flying. Can't wait to come back and report in how things went. I may post an update or two in the meantime on my SGT CCIE blog..we shall see.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since when is Plantwiz a female? :)

Um, as long as she's been alive, AFAIK...
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Um, as long as she's been alive, AFAIK...

Hes been living under an Mrock.......

BA DUM TISH.......no???.................bye icon_sad.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.