Planning to take my exam soon

stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am new here, really enjoy all the useful information here. I have been in the IT area since 2001 I have a A.A.S in Microcomputer Support, also have my Bachelors Degree. I have obtained 3 certifications working towards MCSA. I also have worked for DHS and Army National Guard as a contractor. I have passed Computer Security Test and Information Assurance Test, this was before the new DoD directive. I have spent the last year doing Customer Service based in networks and learned a lot, before being let go. I have opted to take on the Security Plus Test. I originally started studying for this way back in 2006 before going back to school full time. I put it down and pick it back up here and there. Well I have finally decided it time to get this test out of the way. I have been studying off and on the last couple of weeks as so i don't put it down again.

I am currently studying with
Sybex Deluxe Book
Security Plus Book by Micheal Meyers
Transcender

I still am a little worried about the cryptography section just alot for me to process and I really need a working environment to see it work I guess.

One main question I have is for the people that have used Transcender, I currently have the Test SYO-101 and then got an Update for SYO-201 which only gives me one test do feel that this will be enough to take the exam ?

My current Avg is 83% for about 6 practice test i have taken so far.

Any advice that would help me out would be valued.
Free Reading : History Books

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hi all,

I am new here, really enjoy all the useful information here. I have been in the IT area since 2001 I have a A.A.S in Microcomputer Support, also have my Bachelors Degree. I have obtained 3 certifications working towards MCSA. I also have worked for DHS and Army National Guard as a contractor. I have passed Computer Security Test and Information Assurance Test, this was before the new DoD directive. I have spent the last year doing Customer Service based in networks and learned a lot, before being let go. I have opted to take on the Security Plus Test. I originally started studying for this way back in 2006 before going back to school full time. I put it down and pick it back up here and there. Well I have finally decided it time to get this test out of the way. I have been studying off and on the last couple of weeks as so i don't put it down again.

Sybex Deluxe Book
    Transcender

I still am a little worried about the cryptography section just alot for me to process and I really need a working environment to see it work I guess.

One main question I have is for the people that have used Transcender, I currently have the Test SYO-101 and then got an Update for SYO-201 which only gives me one test do feel that this will be enough to take the exam ?

I have to admit my confusion on the cryptography area as well. I am prepping up to do it yet this month. I would like any advice that can be given as well.

Oh, and welcome Stephen. I think you may enjoy the Information Assurance area of this forum, if you haven't already looked at it of course.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Don't feel alone. Cryptography is one of the toughest parts of the exam for many people - partly because it remains theoretical for most of us.

Even if you use HTTPS it doesn't help you understand the SSL handshake process and how it uses both symmetric and asymmetric encryption. Part of learning cryptography is simply taking time with it. As an example, I'm teaching a Security+ class this week and as I normally do, I spent almost a full day on cryptography to help it sink in for the students.

Darril Gibson

Security+ Blog
    www.sy0-201.com/blog

Security+ Tip of day Tweets
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson

Hi all,
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the forums and good luck on passing the exam. With your experience, I don't see you having much trouble passing :D
    Hi all,

Sybex Deluxe Book
    Transcender

I am averaging between 85 and 90 percent on the practice test from MarkUp. I believe that most of the time these practice tests are much harder than the actual test. I guess we will find out soon.
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I passed with an 835 today

Congrats!
  • I-ballI-ball Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□

Well done!!

Did you find it harder than expected, any surprises?

Yes, any comments on the test?
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Mate - any pointers or Tips
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats. Great score.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Blog
    Security Plus: Get Certified Get Ahead

Security+ Tip of day Tweets
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First Off, I have about 2 yrs under my belt studying for the old SYO-101 which did help me with the test some what.

I have one secrete to share with you all you can take the exam cheap if you want the Pearson Vue exam code is JK0-15 which is $165 instead of the $258

I recommend getting rid of the sybex book and get the syngress book while i did not use it. I went to my local book store and read a couple chapters it was more in depth.

1. get 1yr under your belt or A + and Net+ before trying, while i don't have those certs I have a lot of experience in the field so I felt secure with out them I will go back and get Net+

2.Get practice tests use them use them use them. I have Transcender have used them for every test I have taken thus far.

3. Get CBT Nuggets watch the videos two or three times take notes.

4. Get some real hands on training.

5. Keep up with the cert forums.

Test Day go in with the knowing that you will pass the test have confidence in your self

May the force be with you.