Which book to prepare the 70-640?

icademicadem Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello.

I have the 3 books of the Attachment and i wold like to know, which could be the more interesting to prepare an pass the Microsoft Exam.

What in your opinion is the best?

Thank you a lot

Comments

• rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm using the Microsoft Self-Paced training kit which you have in your picture there and I find it to be a good read, not boring to me at all.
  • indyodieindyodie Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm also using the 70-640 Training Kit and find it to be ok. I'm just making sure to do all of the excersizes and labs as I go.
  • icademicadem Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    in other forum said me that, the 70-640 exam is near to dissapear, and it will be replaced with the 083-640 that contains labs.
    Is that information true?

I have no idea of the labs and i prefert to not do there...
    thank you
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    icadem wrote: »
    in other forum said me that, the 70-640 exam is near to dissapear, and it will be replaced with the 083-640 that contains labs.
    Is that information true?

I have no idea of the labs and i prefert to not do there...
    thank you

It depends on where you are from. Here in the US, you can't take the English version of the 70-640, it is only available as 83-640 and has been since June I believe.

All the "labs" are is just two virtual machines running Windows Server 2008 that you have to perform simple tasks on. These are fully functional servers, so they aren't like the simulations that you can trial/error your way through clicking until you have the correct path.

Honestly, I am looking forward to this new setup, as I know my way around quite well from playing around with my own vm's.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • pespi_manpespi_man Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not to hijack this thread,

Can anyone tell me if the exam results are given straight away or it takes a couple of weeks?

A co-worker sat this a month or so ago and his came 2 weeks after the exam...
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    It depends on where you are from. Here in the US, you can't take the English version of the 70-640, it is only available as 83-640 and has been since June I believe.

All the "labs" are is just two virtual machines running Windows Server 2008 that you have to perform simple tasks on. These are fully functional servers, so they aren't like the simulations that you can trial/error your way through clicking until you have the correct path.

Honestly, I am looking forward to this new setup, as I know my way around quite well from playing around with my own vm's.

I'm from spain, i'm not sure that the 70-640 is available in my country.
    How can i know it??

thanks
    Easiest way is to go to the Prometric website and go through the steps to see what exams are available in your area. If you are required to take the 83-640, the 70-640 won't be an option in the language of your choice.
  • wheezwheez Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□

If you ask me this would be a great step forward.. Just wondering if you happen to know if it's possible to reset the lab (like you can do with the current ones)?

On-topic: Don't use the MOC. I believe this has been mentioned a LOT before, but I've actually used this one on my MCITP training and it seems even worse than MCSx versions...
    WIP: Considering cert path.. :-)
    I'm goint to use the ms press book and the cbt/trainsignal videos.
    Then im going to do the ********* exams
    I'm think that will be ok to pass the exam.

What do you think?

icon_cheers.gif
  • BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    WTF does ***** mean?

If you do not practice on the practical side of this exam for study, you will fail. Pure and simple. You need to setup a lab and immerse yourself in doing things to domain controllers, core servers...etc over a period of time, again and again. The practical side of 83-640 means that you need to practice. The training material alone will not get you through unless you do that.

Also for practice questions there is a measure up exam questions that comes with the MS Press books. That is all you need.

If you ****** you mentioned is a ****...ie not certified by CertGuard, then please don't ever post on here again and expect help from anyone.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    BradH wrote: »
    WTF does ***** mean?

If you do not practice on the practical side of this exam for study, you will fail. Pure and simple. You need to setup a lab and immerse yourself in doing things to domain controllers, core servers...etc over a period of time, again and again. The practical side of 83-640 means that you need to practice. The training material alone will not get you through unless you do that.

Also for practice questions there is a measure up exam questions that comes with the MS Press books. That is all you need.

If you ****** you mentioned is a ****...ie not certified by CertGuard, then please don't ever post on here again and expect help from anyone.

its ***** because its filtered, its likely the name of a ****.
    In spain is still the exam 70-640.
    I'm going to study it very hard.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just to add a little something. Any resource used to study for the 70-640 will still be valid for the 83-640. It is only the format of the exam that has changed and not the exam objectives. So everything you learn in the 70-640 books will be directly applicable to the 83-640, you should just really focus on performing labs in a virtual environment.
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    OP,

If you check the reviews in amazon.com you will notice the book to go as an only source is the Sybex edition by William Panek. I recently started the MCITP:SA track and I researched as much as I could and ended up with Sybex books for the 70-640 and 70-642 and the MS Press self paced study guide for the 70-646.

After a little more than 100 pages of the Sybex 70-640 I can tell you it's a very interesting and even easy to read and learn. I think the author is very throrough...i dont know how much and how well he will cover the exam objectives but so far im liking the book.

As i said, I came up with the list that ended buying exclusively because of the trends in the opinions of the reviewers in amazon.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • sund33psund33p Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Seems like the 70-640 has been expired. I could not register for it in English. Check out the prometric site.
    sund33p wrote: »
    Seems like the 70-640 has been expired. I could not register for it in English. Check out the prometric site.

You need to sign up for the 83-640, which replaced the 70-640 back around June/July. This new exam format includes 2 virtual machines that you must perform tasks on along with 30 multiple choice questions.
    You need to sign up for the 83-640, which replaced the 70-640 back around June/July. This new exam format includes 2 virtual machines that you must perform tasks on along with 30 multiple choice questions.

How can i know if the 70-640 is still valid in spain?
    the resource used to study for the 70-640 will still be valid for the 83-640??

What are the changes between this exams??

thx
  • t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166

From what I have heard the 83-640 has sims. If you go to the prometric site and act as if you were going to sign up for the exam you will see either 70-640 or 83-640 that is how you will know.

The resources are still valid because if you check this out http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=83-640&locale=en-us#tab2 the skills being measured are the same as 70-640.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    icadem wrote: »
    How can i know if the 70-640 is still valid in spain?
    the resource used to study for the 70-640 will still be valid for the 83-640??

thx

I am in Dominican republic. The 70-640 exam is not available in english. It is still available in spanish. At least here in DR.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.