Options

Homework Help!

rawDawgrawDawg Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_confused.gif: I'm taking a Network Essensials Class in college and we rushed through chapter 3. I'm a bit lost. If any of you could help explain this question to me it would be a big help. Thanks

1. You have been asked to design the entire cabling system for a medical instrument manufacturer’s new central warehouse. The company already has three buildings within two city blocks, and the warehouse will be its fourth building. Currently, the buildings run on separate networks, but the company would like to be able to exchange data among them. In addition, the Sales Department would like to hold videoconferences with the Research Department in the next building. Next door, in the warehouse, 50 shipping and packing personnel will be riding up and down the aisles on forklifts pulling inventory off the shelves on a daily basis. What kind of transmission media would you recommend for each different department of the medical instrument company and why? What type of media would you recommend using to connect the buildings and why?

Comments

• Options
    TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    The keys to your question lie in the limitations (distance, portability, bandwidth) of various media types (UTP, Coax, Fiber, Wireless).
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • Options
    rawDawgrawDawg Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The keys to your question lie in the limitations (distance, portability, bandwidth) of various media types (UTP, Coax, Fiber, Wireless).

icon_confused.gif: I realize that there are limitations. I'm not sure what they are. I'm thinking towards making it a wireless network with access points in each building since they are only two blocks away. Is that a good idea for videoconferences? Do wireless access points connect to each node wirelessly, or do they just connect each hub (building)? If wireless isnt a good idea, what should i do? What about the warehouse? Wireless seems the best way to go in that scenario, right?

I'm confused icon_confused.gif
    Please a little more help!
  • Options
    TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    If you rushed through that chapter, you should really take the time to learn it - which, I assume you're doing now. :) A good foundation (which this is) will make things much easier on you in the long run.

If you are not sure what the limitations are, find out. :) I'll ask you some questions to help you along.

1) What distance and interference limitations does wireless have (if you don't know, it's most likely in the book)? Why would this be or not be a feasible option for buildings that are blocks away from each other?
    1a) If it is not a feasible option, what media type will work?

2) What does videoconferencing require lots of?

3) What are the bandwidth limitations of the following:
    Wireless (802.11b and 802.11g have different bandwidth limitations, so be specific... plus, there are other wireless standards.)
    UTP cable (CAT5 / CAT5e / CAT6)
    Coax
    Fiber

4) Once you've figured out what the capabilities and limitations are of each media type... what are the costs, in general? If two or more methods are both valid, is one much more expensive to purchase and/or difficult to install?

If you don't know the answers to the above questions, don't sweat it - I'm here to help... but you have to work for it a little.

Wireless access points connect wirelessly to nodes and are wired to hubs/switches. My Netgear wireless router at home has 4 wired switch ports included in the device.

You have answered the portability question - your warehouse personnel need to be able to roam while pulling inventory off the shelves. Therefore, wireless would be an excellent idea. You wouldn't want them wired while driving around on forklifts, would you? :D

I'll be back to check the thread later. :)
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92