Options

Is this a good setup and price for a CCNA lab?

The 13th WarriorThe 13th Warrior Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was quoted a price of $725 for the following cisco equipment, and I was wondering is this a good deal and will this be enough for CCNA?

3x 2611XMs
4x WIC-1Ts
1x NM-4A/S
2x 3524s
3x DTE/DCE Cables
4x Ethernet Cables
4x Crossover cables
1x console cable
5x power cables

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was quoted a price of $725 for the following cisco equipment, and I was wondering is this a good deal and will this be enough for CCNA?

3x 2611XMs
    4x WIC-1Ts
    1x NM-4A/S
    2x 3524s
    3x DTE/DCE Cables
    4x Ethernet Cables
    4x Crossover cables
    1x console cable
    5x power cables

I think that is way over priced especially for the switches that you get. I think you could piece together something better than that.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The 3524s would make okay 3rd and 4th switches.

If the price includes the shipping, then it's not an outrageous price to pay for the convenience of "one stop shopping" -- but if you shopped on eBay and were patient bidding you could probably get it for under $600 -- we're talking US, right? You are paying a premium for the dual LAN interfaces....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    The 13th WarriorThe 13th Warrior Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The price doesn't include the shipping, I can just pick up the equipment in person. The seller said that he would give me a 10% discount if I paid in cash. I am looking for a setup that I can use for CCNA, then I can add on to for CCNP. If the 3524s switches are just ok, what would be some better ones. The routers are $140 each.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The 3524s would make okay 3rd and 4th switches.

If the price includes the shipping, then it's not an outrageous price to pay for the convenience of "one stop shopping" -- but if you shopped on eBay and were patient bidding you could probably get it for under $600 -- we're talking US, right? You are paying a premium for the dual LAN interfaces....
    +1 unless you need it all at once the eBay way is the way to go

If you are looking to go forward then you'd want a couple of 2950-EI switches and at least one 3550.
  • Options
    ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    Price is too high.

2611XM's are overkill. You seriously could get by with a a few 1700 series or lower level 2600's without any trouble at all. Honestly even 2500's would be fine for getting started--I still use them in my lab.

I can get a maxxed out 1760 shipped for $50'ish... 2610XM or 2621 for $75..etc. Do not waste your money on one of those kits..buy the pieces and save yourself the money..and you'll learn more along the way.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I think it's pretty high. Get 3 2650xm's ($95) = 285, 2 2950's = $100 possibly if you can bid on the right product, then get your other equipment, you would probably spend about $150-200

So that's about 585, possibly lower if you can make a lower offer and even win. Most of them will take about $20-$30 less sometimes on the offers on ebay. Some of the products come with 1 year warranties in case anything happens. I'd say check ebay first before jumping the gun. I got mine off ebay.