Should I wait until the 2009 version comes out?

Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been wanting to take Sever+ for some time now and then move on with CompTIA as I already have A+ and Net+, the only other cert that interests me is DHTI+ but that would be down the line. I think I could pass the test fairly easily as I am very good with hardware and it is based around hardware and general sever knowledge which I feel I get good exposure to at work. But I would hate to start studying for the SK0-002 and then have the new exam objectives come out, even though they usually give you some time before they retire the test, I figure if a new one is coming out soon I mine as well wait even though I already have some materials for the current exam, but I figure I can use those and then just see what new objectives are on test and study those with other sources.

I am just trying to decide what cert to get next, I work in desktop support and want out, I have been doing it for 4 and a half years, so I want to because a Jr. Windows Admin, which is why I will prob look at getting my MCITP Sever Admin but that is three tests and going to take a lot more time. So I was looking at Sever+ before the MCITP as I think I could study and pass the test fairly quickly/easily.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Going by your career plans, I'd skip the Server+ and jump straight into the MCITP track. An MCITP would get you more interviews than a Server+, in my opinion. I know compTia's exams are entry level, but you have a few years of experience with computers, so go for the MCITP. Play hard dude!

Good luck with whatever you do.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Going by your career plans, I'd skip the Server+ and jump straight into the MCITP track. An MCITP would get you more interviews than a Server+, in my opinion. I know compTia's exams are entry level, but you have a few years of experience with computers, so go for the MCITP. Play hard dude!

Good luck with whatever you do.

I am jumping around with the same idea in my head as well, just move on from CompTIA to MS and be done with it. But for some reason I, maybe based on my Transcender practice test scores which are generally above 75% and this is with no studying done yet, no CBT videos no books read, nothing. I just think I could get it very easily and if I can then why not just go for it. I do not think I would have to spend too much time studying and then I can satisfy my OCD and say I am done with my CompTIA certs for the foreseeable future and move on haha.

I do see what you mean about MCITP jumping out much more on a resume, I have never really seen Sever+ listed under job requirements on an application, it is mainly A+ and Net+ (sometimes Sec+) but I would say after those it is their 4th most popular exam, followed by Linux+. In taking the practice exams though most of the questions are about such old technologies like upgrading a sever running P3 Xeons and such that it seems kinda pointless in a way, I mean common we are 3 generations ahead of that now (not counting Pentium D or Core) it just seems kind of silly to be learning about upgrading severs with such old processors, I mean sure many companies still run P3 boxes, but the oldest we have here are P4. That is why I feel like the new exam will be much more relevant to newer technologies and be more meaningful to study.

I am not sure, it is a toss up between studying for this next or starting my MS track, mostly likely with the 70-620 Vista Exam which would get me my MCTS and count towards MCITP Enterprise Administrator if I decide to go for that someday. Either way I think it would be good to have even if I only go the MCITP Sever Admin track. I have never taken an MS exam before although my co-worker has and he has the same certs as me but he got his MCP by passing the XP exam and he found it to be fairly easy, they are also generally cheaper ($125) than CompTIA exams which are $200 or more. So confused right now haha.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    For networking, the only CompTIA exams I'd bother with early are A+ and Network+. That's all good foundational material that may serve you well later. Server+, Linux+, etc. can wait until after one finishes at least an MCP (or Novell CNA/NCA, or RHCT, if you're not under the M$ umbrella).
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
    When does the 2009 exam come out...because 2009 is almost over...
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill