distributed.net & TechExams

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
distributed.net & a TechExams team...

This ties in with my previous "Distributed computing" post, but I felt like this needed a new one.

I recently began running distributed.net. For those that don't know, there is prize money involved for you and the group you belong to if you find the winning key. $1000 to the individual who finds the key, $1,000 to that individuals team. I was thinking...for those of you that run this, or those of you that want to run it, let me start a TechExams.net team and let's all join it.

If by some chance we do happen to win the prize money,I say we donate the team winnings to TechExams. I'm sure it's a costly and time consuming thing for Webmaster to run this page. We all benefit from it, so why not attempt to give something back?

For those that care, the program is small, can be set to run as a screen saver or continuously. I leave it running constantly on as many pc's as I can, as long as I'm not using them for gaming. Doing anything else, your pc will still run smoothly. I'm hoping quite a few people are interested in this...post it here or PM me so I can start a list.

Comments

• TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    Here's the FAQ: http://n0cgi.distributed.net/faq/cache/29.html

Personally, I don't care to endorse a project that is based solely on trying to expose weaknesses in relatively secure encryption mechanisms. It doesn't require a distributed computing project to alert techologists that larger bit sizes increase encryption strength - that fact is already well known.

There are plenty of other worthwhile distributed computing projects (a few of which offer cash upon discovery of a target) in which we can participate... including projects that search for cures for diseases, climate prediction patterns, mathematical proofs, evolution models and extraterrestrial life.

But, that's just my opinion. :)
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Post websites to the "better" ones then, if you would be so kind. NOT Seti@Home...I ran it for a while and felt like distributed.net was better.

By the way...if someone doesn't expose weaknesses in relatively secure algorithms, who is doing it to help those who developed them, someone will do it who is trying to do the exact opposite. I highly doubt the purpose of distributed.net is doing this merely for the glory of cracking encryption algorithms. I doubt RSA would be involved if they didn't feel it was beneficial to them.

If anyone is interested in this concept, regardless of what program we end up using, discuss it here if you don't mind.
    Links to several of them can be found here. That's actually where I am already a DC member under a different name.

True, RSA is fronting the cash, and it's their encryption mechanism. It just makes me uneasy knowing how many people rely on those same encryption mechanisms. :)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    I run the cancer research cruncher for grid.org. But I do it for free gigs from EasyNews :)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
    Eh...I figured more people would be interested in this, given that it may be possible to benefit TechExams. Maybe I just need to give it more time.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Those programs, claiming to not harm the Pc, have never given anything but trouble to me. Once I stop them, system works fine. Gouda cause though.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    Ricka...that's strange. Have you tried multiple programs? I've ran Seti@Home and distributed.net on a home built machine, 2 compaq's, and 2 dell's, all with no trouble whatsoever.

You should try again, especially if you have access to multiple pc's. icon_wink.gif
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Yeah, I tried different ones. Seti was the first, I thought it was a great idea, seeing it only took advantage of useless cycles, but alas, it makes me system freeze. I would honestly think it's because of my bad habit of constant tweaking of the registry, maybe I hit something that screws with those programs. No big deal to me though.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    I, too, have never had trouble with SETI, but I used it mostly in '99 and '00. Most recently I've been putting forth cycles for the Sierpinski problem for Seventeen or Bust.
    Kaplan IT
  • crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I ran SETI on systems from Win95 & 98 and never had problems. Alway had it running as the screen saver so it NEVER had a change to steal cycles when I was using the conputer. I stopped mainly because they said they were re-running data blocks because so many people helped that they were caught up. (and I started turning my PC off at night)

But this new .net thing sounds like something to check out. And if you can make $$, all the better.

Will check.
    92,000 registered members and no one is interested in this so far...come on. icon_wink.gif

I have successfully ran both Seti@Home and distributed.net while doing everything on my pc's, including playing Half-Life 2, without noticing a hit in performance.
    Still hoping to spark some interest in this. I have created the team and placed the link below for those who care. Already ranked 3270. icon_wink.gif

There really is no downside to joining and running the software. If you want more information, visit http://www.distributed.net or PM me.

http://stats.distributed.net/team/tmsummary.php?project_id=8&team=31058
    Still waiting... :)
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    Hi,

I'm not trying to sound dumb but how does all this work? I've never ran into anysites like this before. icon_redface.gif
    Download the program, it receives work units from the site, let it run and work on the units, when it's done it sends them back and gets more.

It's simple. icon_wink.gif
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I guess most of the people on this site are rich. icon_lol.gif

just kidding but what exactly does this thing do? do you setup computers and run a software or what?
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
    I guess most of the people on this site are rich.

Huh?

You just install the software. When you run it, it will connect to their servers and download around 24 work units. The program will then work on those units. To work on the units, you can either run the program as a screensaver and have it do work ONLY while the screensaver is running, or you can run it continuously (which is what I do). When all units are finished, it will connect to their servers and return the work units, downloading more, and the process will start all over again. You can use the same account on any number of pc's, so you can run it one 1 or 1,000, it doesn't matter.
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I meant not many people would go for the one grand cuz they're probably rich. and by that I was comenting on your post about the 92K members and the few replies to this post.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
    Ah, yeah, I guess so. icon_sad.gif