Cisco to HP

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
I seem to be misunderstanding something in the configuration I'm working on. I have a flat network at the moment in the 10.0.0.x /24 range. They are connected via 3 cisco 2950's and 1 cisco 3560 (they are all on the default vlan 1).

Next to this rack is an HP 2900-48G that is separated into 3 vlans (vlan 5,6,7). They use the scopes 172.16.3.x, 4.x, 5.x. I have turned on inter-vlan routing (ip routing) and then setup a trunk port to connect to the cisco 3560. I can ping between the networks on the HP but I can' get any communication between the HP switch and the cisco switch.

I have verified that the trunk port has come up on both sides but I'm at a loss for why they can't communicate. I also tried on the HP switch, "ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.23). 10.0.0.23 is the ip of vlan 1 on the cisco switch.

Comments

• jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Never messed with HP switches before...but what is the native vlan on each side set to? Sounds like it should be 1 to me, or set up the hp procurves trunk port on the cisco 3560 as an access port on vlan 1 and see if it works...
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The default VLAN on both sides is 1, which all ports on the cisco switch are in. I don't think that I can change it to an access port because they how would different vlan information be passed through to the different switches?

Just thought to, do the switches need a crossover cable for trunk ports or are most switches these days able to use straight throughs
    Generally a cross is needed, unless auto-Mdix is supported on the switchports. Does your cisco show up/up? It should be ok either way since it is a 3560.
    Yeah the cisco side shows up/up dot1q encap, and the hp shows the same thing which is why I assumed that I shouldn't have any issues....
    Edit....nevermind read aboves post better
    Vlan 1 is created by default though, you can't edit any of its properties.
    Are vlans 5,6, and 7 created on the Cisco switch so that it knows to trunk them across the trunk line?

After you create them, do a show int trunk and make sure they show up as trunking across that trunk.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    10.0.0.23 is the ip of vlan 1 on the cisco switch.
    What's the 10.0.0.x IP address on the HP switch? Can you ping the 10.0.0.23 Cisco Switch IP from the HP switch? And the 10.0.0.x IP on the HP is configured in VLAN 1?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Ya, I guess Mike has a good point there. I have been assuming you have an interface programmed on the HP in the 10.0.0.x subnet.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    What's the 10.0.0.x IP address on the HP switch? Can you ping the 10.0.0.23 Cisco Switch IP from the HP switch? And the 10.0.0.x IP on the HP is configured in VLAN 1?

I can not ping from the HP to the Cisco.

There is no configuration for the 10.0.0.x scope on the HP switch, I guess I was overthinking this a little. I knew I was missing something, which is why I came here, you guys always help.

I should have this on the HP switch:

Vlan 5 | 172.16.3.x
    Vlan 6 | 172.16.4.x
    Vlan 7 | 172.16.5.x
    Vlan 8 | 10.0.0.x

This also needs to be configured on the Cisco I would assume too? Then I can configure a trunk port on any of the Vlans to talk between the switches?
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Maybe the encapsulation type?
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You would need the 10.0.0.x in the same VLAN as all your devices connected to the Cisco switch, which you indicated was VLAN 1. Your proposed solution would work if you changed the Cisco switch ports to be in VLAN 8.

Your client devices on the Cisco router will also need to have the 10.0.0.x IP on the HP set as their default gateway or their current default gateway will need to have routes to the other networks on the HP switch.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I can not ping from the HP to the Cisco.

There is no configuration for the 10.0.0.x scope on the HP switch, I guess I was overthinking this a little. I knew I was missing something, which is why I came here, you guys always help.

I should have this on the HP switch:

Vlan 5 | 172.16.3.x
    Vlan 6 | 172.16.4.x
    Vlan 7 | 172.16.5.x
    Vlan 8 | 10.0.0.x

This also needs to be configured on the Cisco I would assume too? Then I can configure a trunk port on any of the Vlans to talk between the switches?

You need the 10.0.0.x IP to be on the same Vlan as it is on the Cisco side.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Then there will be the issue of routing.

Are you using the 10.0.0.23 on the 3560 as the default gateway for devices in VLAN 1?

Are you going to change the default gateway to the 10.0.0.x IP created on the HP?

Is routing enabled on the 3560? How would it learn about the 172.16.x.x networks from the HP?

We don't really have the complete story or plan here -- are you going to be adding more VLANs on the Cisco side that the HP side will need to access? Are you going to add devices on the Cisco side in VLAN 5 that will be in the same broadcast domain as VLAN 5 on the HP side?

If the Cisco side is staying one big VLAN 1 blob, then a routed port on the HP attached to the Cisco side (and the HP 10.0.0.x as default gateway) would be a simple non-trunk solution.
    Um -- if you create the VLANs and SVIs on the Cisco side -- then you'd have a direct connection for each VLAN and wouldn't need to run a Routing Protocol between the HP & 3560..... but it's not the optimal solution and admin intensive -- but it is one step above creating access ports in each VLAN and adding a cable for each new connection.
    We have a giant flat blob network with 10.0.0.x. Its out of IPs and needs to be segmented. My boss refuses to buy anything Cisco because he likes HP, so he bought this L3 HP switch even though all our other switches are Cisco.

I want to setup a fake subnetted network using 172.16.x.x on the HP switch. I then want to connect this into the current running network which has all 10.0.0.x IPs. The default gateway of my current blob is 10.0.0.1 and all ports across all Cisco switches are in the default vlan of 1. We are not going to change the gateway however on the 10.0.0.x network.

IP routing is enabled on the Cisco side. Essentially I'll be using this HP switch to replace the core switch on my network. It's not ideal or my idea, but you know how it is when the boss wants something his way...

The attached picture might help....
    What is the device that has the 10.0.0.1 address? Is it going away? If so you could just assign the HP vlan 1 an address of 10.0.0.1. Which, if you want it to be your "core" you will have to do anyway.
    The default gateway of my current blob is 10.0.0.1 and all ports across all Cisco switches are in the default vlan of 1. We are not going to change the gateway however on the 10.0.0.x network.
    So what is the current 10.0.0.1 device? Is it connected to anything or used in any way to move packets off the 10.0.0.x network? If not, then put the 10.0.0.1 IP on the HP -- and routing on the 3560 becomes a moot point.
    Tell your boss I said hes an idiot!

I would just trunk all the switches to the HP switch, use that for inter-Vlan routing and then have a L3 link off that to the router and run OSPF between them. That way you can have any Vlan off any switch and they all play together happily.
    10.0.0.1 is our firewall
    10.0.0.2 is our MPLS which leads to the branch offices

We can't remove or change either of these addresses.

(It may be worth nothing that I got dumped into this position at this company that has a god aweful network with no thought out plan....it was pieced together over the years by different people that came in as consultants).
    Tell your boss I said hes an idiot!

I would just trunk all the switches to the HP switch, use that for inter-Vlan routing and then have a L3 link off that to the router and run OSPF between them. That way you can have any Vlan off any switch and they all play together happily.

Hahaha I second that!

Actually we don't own our router....its managed by someone else (which is a whole other story). All of my Vlans and configurations need to be done on the L3 core switch because we don't have access to the router. This way I can push out all traffic that is outside the Vlans and inter-vlan route the different vlan traffic.
    10.0.0.1 is our firewall
    Well, if you're not changing the 10.0.0.x default gateway from 10.0.0.1, then 10.0.0.1 is going to have to exchange routing information with the HP switch -- and be able to redirect traffic for the other networks to the HP 10.0.0.x IP address.

While its a lot of work -- you may want to consider changing the default gateway on the 10.0.0.x network. This is a good example of the 5 P rule (or 6 P or 7 P rules depending on how many rude words you add in that start with P ) -- Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.
    Ok after a few hours of aggravation I decided to wipe the HP clean and start fresh. I still have the same flat network using the 10.0.0.x scope. I read through what little documentation I could find on the HP Procurve switches. I setup the HP switch as follows:

ports 1-12 untagged vlan 1 | tag port 48 | ip 10.0.0.60 /24
    ports 13-24 untagged vlan 2 | tag port 48 | ip 10.10.0.254 /24
    ports 25-36 untagged vlan 3 | tag port 48 | ip 10.20.0.254 /24
    ip routing
    router rip

The 10.0.0.60 is an un-used ip in the flat network. I also enabled rip v2 on the Cisco 3650 and then did a "show ip route" and I could see the other subnets. However I still am unable to ping between the switches. I can ping between the subnets on the HP, but not to anything outside the switch.

To all those that say HP switches are easy to use....I disagree...
    Did you go with a known good working crossover cable?

Did you verify both sides have formed a trunk and probably agree on 802.1Q? How did you configure/verify on the 3560? How did you verify the trunk on the HP?

And how does the ping fail? Just times out? Or does it tell you anything else. And it happens from both sides when you try pinging between 10.0.0.23 and 10.0.0.60?

Can the HP switch ping it's 10.0.0.60 IP address?
    Did you go with a known good working crossover cable?

Did you verify both sides have formed a trunk and probably agree on 802.1Q? How did you configure/verify on the 3560? How did you verify the trunk on the HP?

And how does the ping fail? Just times out? Or does it tell you anything else. And it happens from both sides when you try pinging between 10.0.0.23 and 10.0.0.60?

Can the HP switch ping it's 10.0.0.60 IP address?

Yes to the crossover cables (just bought new ones so I used one of those).

On the Cisco I did "show int gig 0/10" & on the HP the only way I could find to verify was "show int eth 48" which kinda suggests that Trunking is working but doesn't give much information.

The ping fails because the host dest is unreachable....which leads me to believe that its a routing issue. I haven't worked much with L3 switches however I'm working under the assumption that they provide many of the functions that routers do at the L3 level.

The HP switch can ping it's own 10.0.0.60 ip with no problems. In fact it can also see the 10.10.0.254 & 10.20.0.254 no problem as well. So to me it looks like the inter-vlan routing is functioning on the HP switch....just not when its linked up with another switch.
    On the Cisco I did "show int gig 0/10" & on the HP the only way I could find to verify was "show int eth 48" which kinda suggests that Trunking is working but doesn't give much information.
    What did "show int gig 0/10" show you that made you think it was trunking?

On the Cisco 3650:

Does "show interface status" show the Vlan column value as trunk for Gi0/10?

Does "show interface trunk" show the Status of "trunking" for Gi0/10? Encapsulation?

What about show interface Gi0/10 switchport? Operational and Administrative modes? Trunking encapsulation?
    The ping fails because the host dest is unreachable....which leads me to believe that its a routing issue.
    Um, on both sides?

If you have the 10.0.0.x network configured in VLAN 1 on both switches and the subnet masks are correct and the trunk is working -- then you're pinging a directly connected network.
    What did "show int gig 0/10" show you that made you think it was trunking?

On the Cisco 3650:

Does "show interface status" show the Vlan column value as trunk for Gi0/10?

Does "show interface trunk" show the Status of "trunking" for Gi0/10? Encapsulation?

What about show interface Gi0/10 switchport? Operational and Administrative modes? Trunking encapsulation?

I'll have to look more at the output when I'm in the office tomorrow, both sides appear up/up which is a good thing, and the show run for both side shows the ports are configured as trunking encap dot1q.

Um, on both sides?

If you have the 10.0.0.x network configured in VLAN 1 on both switches and the subnet masks are correct and the trunk is working -- then you're pinging a directly connected network.

This is what's driving me insane! I feel like they are setup correctly and you would think that this isn't a difficult task to accomplish which is why its aggravating.
    Before I go further into this anymore, let me ask a stupid question. How do layer 3 switches work WITHOUT a router. Is it possible to switch packets between vlans if no router is present?
    Before I go further into this anymore, let me ask a stupid question. How do layer 3 switches work WITHOUT a router. Is it possible to switch packets between vlans if no router is present?

Yes of course its possible. If the L3 switch didn't route then it would be L2 switch. How it works exactly would depend on the model and manufacturer, but pretty much the same way a router works.
    Ok thats what I thought I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't crazy. I gave up on the HP @ the moment. I moved over to using only a single cisco switch. I have a 3560 with two ports that I'm using. I have one in Vlan 1 and one in Vlan5 and for the life of me can't get them to talk to each other....