70-620 good starting exam?

408girl408girl Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have no certs but I was going to take the MCTS classes @ my local community college.. however the first class (for this exam) was cancelled for the section I could take. I was thinking of just getting the book and studying for it myself but then I realized that the windows 7 exam is out and the book will be out in 2 weeks.

from what I've heard 70-620 is pretty easy... but I'm wondering will it be a waste of time and/or pointless? I kind of think it would be a good experience for me since i have no certs at all yet. I just lost my first job as a software QA engineer after 3 years and it's given me time to think about what I want to learn and/or do to further my career.

thanks for your feedback

Comments

• t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    I would probably go with Windows 7 exam since it seems to be more geared for enterprise environment. Like you said the books are coming out soon and plus you can check here http://www.techexams.net/forums/windows-7-exams/42480-71-680-resources.html to start your studying. Excellent resource.

What is your ultimate goal? Is there a certain credential you are looking for?
    Knowledge is Power.
  • 408girl408girl Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I guess I don't have an extremely specific goal in mind, I just want to keep on learning different things relating to IT/tech and I'm just not sure where to start... I sometimes think I would be more interested in the administration/configuration side of things so that's why I looked into starting with this exam.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    408girl wrote: »
    I guess I don't have an extremely specific goal in mind, I just want to keep on learning different things relating to IT/tech and I'm just not sure where to start... I sometimes think I would be more interested in the administration/configuration side of things so that's why I looked into starting with this exam.

The only problem I see is that this exam is very different from all of the other MCP/MCTS exams. It is very consumer centric and is more like a test for Power Users than IT Pros. I would suggest starting with the Win 7 exams as they will provide you with a better base line for what the other MS exams will be like and you will honestly learn more.
  • dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    Since you haven't started studying for 620 yet, it would probably be good to jump right into Windows 7. I'm preparing to take 620 to satisfy the MCITP: EA track. Since I've been using Vista for 2 years, and I haven't touched Win 7, 620 makes sense for me in terms of expediting things. But Win 7 is the future.
    MCTS
    MCITP: SA & EA
    MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
    MCSA: 2000, 2003
    dfosbenner wrote: »
    Since you haven't started studying for 620 yet, it would probably be good to jump right into Windows 7. I'm preparing to take 620 to satisfy the MCITP: EA track. Since I've been using Vista for 2 years, and I haven't touched Win 7, 620 makes sense for me in terms of expediting things. But Win 7 is the future.

You had better post your score for the 620! I wanna see that 985+/1000.

With your knowledge you are going to crush that exam.

Lol, one might think. So far on the current series of exams my scores have been 875, 880, 850, and 700. I'd like to hit in the 900's, but one never knows. I'll just take a pass!
    MCTS
    No, just wait till you see the questions on this test.

You are a desktop support technician at your company. Your boss would like you to ensure the drives of all mobile computers are encrypted. What would you use?

a) Red
    b) Pizza
    c) BitLocker
    d) Chewbacca

While there is a little hyperbole in that... there isn't much.

Over two weeks I spent just a few weeks studying for the 620. I read some articles on the new features, took two practice tests and passed with like 860 or something.

You are a desktop support technician at your company. Your boss would like you to ensure the drives of all mobile computers are encrypted. What would you use?

a) Red
    b) Pizza
    c) BitLocker
    d) Chewbacca

While there is a little hyperbole in that... there isn't much.

Over two weeks I spent just a few weeks studying for the 620. I read some articles on the new features, took two practice tests and passed with like 860 or something.

Hmmmm. This is a tough one. I think Chewey used R2D2 to apply encryption to the hyperdrive on the Millenium Falcon. Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with D. CHEWBACCA.
    :D
    MCTS
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dfosbenner wrote: »
    Hmmmm. This is a tough one. I think Chewey used R2D2 to apply encryption to the hyperdrive on the Millenium Falcon. Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with D. CHEWBACCA.
    :D

Nice... I like.

Well I didn't exactly crush it, but I did get an 850. I counted 3 questions where I just guessed. I think I messed up a few of the sims. So much stuff in Vista I don't use, and that's the stuff on the test. Whatever, a pass is a pass. One more to go (647).
    MCTS
    Not too shabby! Could have been worse! And as you said, a pas is a pass.

Congrats!
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940

a) Red
    b) Pizza
    c) BitLocker
    d) Chewbacca

If you answer D, does that make you a scruffy looking nerf herder?
    Good luck to all!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    If you answer D, does that make you a scruffy looking nerf herder?

1.jpg
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Normally, the correct response is "Who's scruffy looking?"

But I can make an exception for something that awesome. LOL...
    Good luck to all!
    Dynamik, moronail.net?