please help

zoozzooz Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi
i read the cisco press...it doesnt help me with this question! icon_sad.gif can anybody help

what is the proper command to display the level 1 routing table in IS-IS?

show isis route
show clns route
show isis database
show clns neighbor

what about level 2 routing table?

Comments

• TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    Sure it does... check pages 295 and 296. All four commands are right there.

...but you might want to edit your post if that's a real exam question.
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    one helpful hint to remember is that when you're talking about L2 IS-IS, you're talking about clns
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • zoozzooz Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello

If you are talking about the book BCSI by Clare Gough then the pages you mentioned are about ospf...Also the isis configuration chapter does not mention these commands...

i dont know if the question is real or not...i got it from a free demo!!!
    zooz wrote:
    Hello

If you are talking about the book BCSI by Clare Gough then the pages you mentioned are about ospf...Also the isis configuration chapter does not mention these commands...

i dont know if the question is real or not...i got it from a free demo!!!

No - those pages are from Cisco Press's CCNP Self-Study: BSCI by Paquet and Teare. To be honest, I would recommend it over (or along with) the Exam Certification Guide.

For the Exam Certification Guide:
    show isis database can be found on 414-416.
    show clns neighbor can be found on 409-411.

Although show isis route and show clns route are not found in the book, you can find them on Cisco's Web site at http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ssr90/rpc_r/54041.htm and http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios102/rpcs/75434.htm.

Finding information online is one of the most useful skills a tech can have. Having the ability to do so is often the difference between success and failure.

Even if you didn't have the information for those two commands, simply knowing the difference between ISIS and CLNS will help you to narrow the choices so that you can answer the question correctly.

Hope this helps. :)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    While it is nice to know those commands, I do not think it is absolutely necessary for BSCI. You may still get them in a question though. BSCI is now geared towards IP routing and these commands are mostly for a CLNS address. The reason it is touched on is that it is a very good protocol to use with MPLS. We really do not care about actual cost in a provider backbone since it will be pretty much all the same speed per link (1gb or 10 gb) we only care if the link is up and how many hops it takes.

show isis route - will show you all level 1 routes.
    show clns route - will show you all CLNS routes that the router knows about.
    show isis database - will show all of the current LSPs that the router has in its databas.
    show clns neighbor - will show any adjacencies with ES or IS neighbors.
    tunerX wrote:
    While it is nice to know those commands, I do not think it is absolutely necessary for BSCI. You may still get them in a question though. BSCI is now geared towards IP routing and these commands are mostly for a CLNS address. The reason it is touched on is that it is a very good protocol to use with MPLS. We really do not care about actual cost in a provider backbone since it will be pretty much all the same speed per link (1gb or 10 gb) we only care if the link is up and how many hops it takes.

I can assure you that it is most definitely required for the BSCI exam, per Cisco's course outline. Take a look and see, if you don't believe me - it's there in black and white.
    Kaplan IT
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/learning/le3/current_exams/642-801.html
    http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/front.x/wwtraining/CELC/index.cgi?action=CourseDesc&COURSE_ID=3876

Where is it in black and white. Here are links to the requirements. Do they mention CLNS routing? I can assure you that I never once came across the need to use the commands "clns routing" or "clns router isis" during any of my CCNP studies. For the BSCI, you should stick with IP routing for IS-IS, and any commands that relate to IP. Anything CLNS will just get in the way of your studies.

It wasn't even a requirement for the CCIE written.
    Cisco's course description does specifically mention Integrated IS-IS (for use with IP routing) for some of the line items, but IS-IS, in general, is mentioned in many others.

CLNS is integral to understanding basic IS-IS, which is part of the following lines in the BSCI course description:

* List the types of IS-IS routers and their role in IS-IS area design
    * Describe the hierarchical structure of IS-IS areas

Level 2 IS-IS *is* CLNS. The BSCI book by Paquet and Teare devotes a portion of Chapter 5 towards understanding non-Integrated IS-IS. Even the Integrated IS-IS portions require show clns commands.

Issue show clns protocol, and what is displayed? IS-IS router information.

Issue show clns neighbors, and what is displayed? Level 2 IS-IS neighbor routers.

Issue show clns route, and you're going to see the IS-IS Level 2 routing table.

From Cisco Press's BSCI book:
    IS-IS is used for routing CLNS/CLNP data
    Troubleshooting Integrated IS-IS, even in an IP-only network, requires some investigation of CLNS data.

Ignore CLNS if you want, but I'm trying to explain to zooz not only what he might find on the exam, but also how CLNS fits in with IS-IS. Due to the Cisco Certifications Confidentiality Agreement, I am unable to disclose what I personally saw on the exam; however, I am going to strongly encourage zooz to study CLNS.
    Kaplan IT
  • zoozzooz Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for your concern.

Weather clns will appear in the exam or not, now i have an idea about those two commands i did not find in my book and i am happy :D