How important is memorizing definitions for the CISSP?

abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278

Will that prepare me for a good portion of the exam?

TIA

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    abefroman wrote: »

TIA

I can't speak for the CISSP but a certain amount of memorization is important for most exams unless you are Rainman. No doubt the CISSP holders can advise you on the details, although obviously understanding and memorizing are two different things. For my part with my CCIE studies I find memorization much more valuable later in my studies than in the beginning as I understand the mechanics so much better now and need to memorize so much less. That understanding is helping me memorize what I do need to repeat and retain these days.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Turgon wrote: »
    I can't speak for the CISSP but a certain amount of memorization is important for most exams unless you are Rainman. No doubt the CISSP holders can advise you on the details, although obviously understanding and memorizing are two different things. For my part with my CCIE studies I find memorization much more valuable later in my studies than in the beginning as I understand the mechanics so much better now and need to memorize so much less. That understanding is helping me memorize what I do need to repeat and retain these days.

+1 can't agree more
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    Thanks!
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Shell Scripting................. 0%

Who is the Shell Scripting certification through?
    Thanks!

Who is the Shell Scripting certification through?

No, it's not a certification. There are couple of books on Shell Scripting at our company's library that I wanted to go through :)

UnixGuy wrote: »
    No, it's not a certification. There are couple of books on Shell Scripting at our company's library that I wanted to go through :)

Cool! Good stuff to know.

I use the script
    for i in `command`;
    do something $i;
    done
    all the time.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009

TIA

You may want to review many of the other posts, especially the ones on feedback after the exam. I will recommend that you understand the concepts behind each domain and practice the ability to apply them to your work environment. You will want to "think like a mananger" when sitting for this grueling exam. All CBK content is fair game and no two exams are alike.

My best advice to you is if you don't already have it, pick up a copy of either the Shon Harris AIO or the CISSP and CAP Prep by Krutz. Also please make sure to check out CCCure, many of us here have used that as an additional resource in our success.

Good luck!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
    Cool! Good stuff to know.

I use the script
    for i in `command`;
    do something $i;
    done
    all the time.

yeah loops are handy, I use the "while" loop too :) But I thought I need to brush up my skills a bit. I have programming background, so I need to do some hands on with some scripting...

• unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192

TIA

It is good to know definitions, but it is better to know the concepts. Just memorizing the definitions won't get you to pass the test. In my opinion, there are enough questions where you knowing the difference in definitions will help you answer the questions.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • stoked64stoked64 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Knowing the definitions is important but that alone won't be enough to pass. You really need to know the concept. Like Asynchronous vs synchronous... know the difference of these two types of crypto but understand the pro and cons of both and what types of crypto fall under these two categories.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    stoked64 wrote: »
    Knowing the definitions is important but that alone won't be enough to pass. You really need to know the concept. Like Asynchronous vs synchronous... know the difference of these two types of crypto but understand the pro and cons of both and what types of crypto fall under these two categories.

Pretty much this. You have to memorize stuff but understand the bigger picture.
    Thanks I was looking at the definitions to get a good foundation.
  • unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    Thanks I was looking at the definitions to get a good foundation.

[Old InfoSec Salty Dog]Your experience in the field should be the good foundation.[/Old InfoSec Salty Dog] But yes, as I said, they will help in some instances. You have to start somewhere.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman