Using MPLS Router for DHCP

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Ok, at my company we have various offices throughout the country. Currently we are bringing a office online in Florida and deploying our hosted VOIP solution there. Since all of our remote offices (minus 1) have about 5 people working in them, the computers have been setup with static addresses (done this way before I came here). Now the phones (and the phone company) prefer to use DHCP. Is it good practice to use an MPLS router for DHCP? It would be just for the remote offices as I figure the other ones will require us to do the same thing. Thanks!

This might be better suited for the CCIP forum, sorry!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What do you mean by MPLS router?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    wat?

You mean use DHCP on your edge router? Are YOU actually running MPLS on anything, or you have an MPLS WAN circuit through an ISP?
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MPLS WAN circuit (I believe) and yes DHCP on our edgerouters at the various office locations. AT&T is our ISP if that is any help.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes you should be able to run DHCP on your edge router depending on your set up you might need and IP helper address.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    You can run DHCP wherever you want really. Most places I've worked have chosen to run it on the (Windows) servers so DNS gets updated. But if there isn't a server at the location they running DHCP on your edge router won't hurt anything, that's what we do for a lot of our small remote sites.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cool thanks guys! Yeah we are without a server on-site so we were looking at what options we have.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    Im new to MPLS etc so sorry if i didnt understand, but why is the MPLS in the equation? as far as i understand you are just trying to use DHCP on some remote sites routers? are those routers actually configured for MPLS? isnt MPLS service providers territory? is it common to use MPLS on edge routers? lots of questions lol :)

i have never encountered MPLS in my work (i dont work for ISP of course)
    trackit wrote: »
    Im new to MPLS etc so sorry if i didnt understand, but why is the MPLS in the equation? as far as i understand you are just trying to use DHCP on some remote sites routers? are those routers actually configured for MPLS? isnt MPLS service providers territory? is it common to use MPLS on edge routers? lots of questions lol :)

i have never encountered MPLS in my work (i dont work for ISP of course)

Customers don't typically "see" MPLS, it's run on the SP side. Customers know it's there cause they're part of the MPLS VPN, but they don't actually run MPLS on their routers.