Cisco 3550 switch

newman555newman555 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi!

I just bought a Cisco 3550 switch for my home lab and I thought it was a good deal, but I didn't realize that I don't have regular RJ45 ports, instead I have MTRJ. And this is the first time I saw these ports ever. My bad, I know...

Can someone please explain what do I need to connect ports from this switch to my other 2950 switches and PC's? Thank you.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The MTRJ ports run fiber. You can get MTRJ to "other fiber connector" fiber optic cables -- but unless you have other fiber ports (or GBICs or SPFs) you can't really do much with it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    What's the model number of the switch exactly?
    There are many versions of the 3550. The 3550-12G for example could be a core switch. It has 12 GBIC slots
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are many versions of the 3550. The 3550-12G for example could be a core switch. It has 12 GBIC slots

I was going to say that, but you beat me to it. icon_wink.gif It instantly reminded me of the core switch at my last place of employment.

Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series Switches - Products & Services - Cisco Systems
    lol why was the post between mine deleted? Funny stuff.
    lol why was the post between mine deleted? Funny stuff.

Well, I wasn't sure if I wanted to comment or not. Decided at the last minute to cut my earlier comment out... icon_wink.gif
  • newman555newman555 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well what would be the cheapest way to conver optical signal to electrical, if there is a cheap one?

I'm not sure what a model number means, but this is a WS-C3550-FX-24-SMI.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    newman555 wrote: »
    Well what would be the cheapest way to conver optical signal to electrical, if there is a cheap one?

Now you got me wondering if those are 100Base-FX MTRJ ports..... you'll have to do some research on the Cisco Web site.

But it would theoretically, but maybe not economically, be possible to use media converters. Without some research (and knowing what those ports do support) I couldn't even venture a guess about the price of the media converters.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!

last time i checked, media converters aren't cheap. unless you got a heck of a deal (as in, sub $200) then sell it and buy another one. you can get a regular 'ol 3550 24 PWR for $250'ish all day long on ebay
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Here is one from cables and kits:

Cisco 3550 24 Port PoE Switch, WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI

I am going to pick this one up. Maybe you should to.
    knwminus wrote: »
    Here is one from cables and kits:

Cisco 3550 24 Port PoE Switch, WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI

I am going to pick this one up. Maybe you should to.

I got mine for $50 on eBay.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

* Jaw drops *
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Now you got me wondering if those are 100Base-FX MTRJ ports..... you'll have to do some research on the Cisco Web site.

But it would theoretically, but maybe not economically, be possible to use media converters. Without some research (and knowing what those ports do support) I couldn't even venture a guess about the price of the media converters.

They're still not cheap. They're also not reliable.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Catalyst 3550-24-FX Switch-24 - 100FX ports and two GBIC-based Gigabit Ethernet ports

You basically have a fibre switch with MTRJ connectors instead of RJ-45 Cat5e connectors. I'm amazed you got it for $50. MTRJ is a fibre connector like any other - SC, LC, etc. but if you are wanting a copper switch, trying to go media converters to get these ports working will be a nightmare and really expensive. You'll need the fibre fly leads with the MTRJ to ? connectors and media converters to copper fly lead leads on each port.

Better go with ncsugrad2002's advice and get rid of it for a normal copper one instead.
    Kam.

lol, then you got stupid lucky.
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They're still not cheap. They're also not reliable.

We currently use the 3550s with the MTRJ connections as access layer switches. They've been reliable for us. It helps us separate different networks by using fiber connections for some clients and we use other 3550s (Cat5) for other clients. Do you have any personal experience with the 3550 MTRJ switches going bad? This way, I'll be prepared for a potential future problem. Thanks.

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • newman555newman555 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So, actually, I can't use this switch with my other 2950 switches and PC's that I have in my little home lab? Oh man, what a waste of money icon_cry.gif

I guess, next time, I'll triple check...
    lol, then you got stupid lucky.

I am a stubborn eBayer, I almost got another one for the same price icon_wink.gif
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So, actually, I can't use this switch with my other 2950 switches and PC's that I have in my little home lab? Oh man, what a waste of money icon_cry.gif

I guess, next time, I'll triple check...

You can use it with your PC if you were to buy a (SC Fiber) NIC for your PC. That's what we use at work. Of course for home PCs and labs especially, that's not ideal. Seems like you have a $50 paper weight... or you may be able to pawn it off on your employer in exchange for another piece of gear that they may through out soon... Just a thought. HTH.

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
    Just sell it on eBay. It's worth more than $50 to someone I can promise you that..