Passed CEHv6

mshadowmshadow Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Test was easy....Most of the concepts are things I have already been doing for a while anyways.

I took the boot camp(since work covered it) and teacher was terrible covered all the out of date applications in the book and didn't pick up much....I think with a different teacher who spent more time on concepts this class wouldn't be so bad.

I think the CEH needs a major content rewrite a lot of things are wayyyy out of date. You get a couple pages of useful content then 100 pages of applications that all do he same thing and were relevant in 2001.

I will be taking the OSCP class next week.
CPTE, C|EH, OSCP, CCA, ACSP

Comments

• impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats.

How long did you study? Do you have any other certification?
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• mshadowmshadow Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    impelse wrote: »
    Congrats.

How long did you study? Do you have any other certification?

I took the boot camp waited about a month because the testing center near me was booked studied for 1-2 days and took a few practice exams. However I have been working with most of the tools in my current job and other positions so my amount of studying might not show anything....I'm at a point where work wants to pay for certs and I want to back up knowledge I currently have with certs.

I have the Apple ACSP for 10.5 and the Citrix XenServer cert.

I will be taking the OCSP class next week hope to finish that up by Nov 1st then finish off my CCNA by Jan 1st....I have taken the bootcamp for the CCNA but I work on Juniper M20s all day and don't do much Cisco I want to brush up on Cisco again before I take the exam.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Congrats ! Backing up your experience with relevant is the best approach in my opinion.

Welcome to the forums icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

Thanks..

I want to move into a career in InfoSec but sadly upstate NY unless you have certs you can't get a job since the job market is smallllll.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to do after OSCP??
    There are a lot of information about this certification in this site:

The Ethical Hacker Network - GPEN vs OSCP

This is just the latest thread.

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GPEN seems like the next logical step.

Congrats on the pass! It's odd that things are so out of date after a new version was just released.

Oh well. I'll be taking a stab at this sooner or later. It sounds like my v5 resources should be enough to pull me through...
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    dynamik wrote: »
    GPEN seems like the next logical step.
    And a very expensive step it is. The best my employer will do (this year) is the OSCP. I'll probably be spending my December holidays working on that.
    For sure. It's $900 just to "challenge" the exam. Fortunately we get a set amount we can spend on whatever we want, and that would cover a SANS course. I have a few miscellaneous stuff to knock out first, but I'll probably take a stab at it with my 2011 allocation.
  • novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    Ill be ramping up for the CEH boot camp in december and the test in january. what materials would you reccomend to get familiarized?
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
    The Exam Prep book was my favorite out of that, the Review Guide, and whatever the other popular one on Amazon is. The Review Guide wasn't bad either, but it's just really concise, so it makes good for an, um, review :D
    The issue with this cert is the topics are a mile wide....You could easily pass the exam with a test review book and truly not gain an understanding of 75% of the material.

I wish they would enforce some kind security background or find some way to make sure people have an understanding like a practical lab test like the OSCP.
    You have to have two years of experience or take the course. I was able to waive the course with experience. I'm worried I might fail the exam because I'm not well-versed with all these obscure/obsolete tools. Their objectives list is ridiculous.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have to have two years of experience or take the course. I was able to waive the course with experience. I'm worried I might fail the exam because I'm not well-versed with all these obscure/obsolete tools. Their objectives list is ridiculous.

You won't it's not really hard at all. You don't have to know how any of the tools work just what the main ones do. The rest of it is basically sec+ and common sense.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Today is my first day at class. I have to read over 600+ pages tonight... Coffees please.

Any tips...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
    Are you taking any boot camp or nomal class?

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Their objectives list is ridiculous.
    That's my one big complaint with the CEH cert. The list of objectives seems way out of proportion with the contents of the exam (as described to me by people that have taken CEHv4, v5, and v6). If you work a full-time job, it could take you a year to make a thorough study that list.

I have no problems with a thick syllabus of "this is all the basic stuff you need to know for pen testing," but it's misleading to think that you need an understanding of all those objectives to pass the CEH exam.
    I am planning to buy the training material for December and I was thinking the same, how long is going to take me to study all the books?

JDMurray wrote: »
    That's my one big complaint with the CEH cert. The list of objectives seems way out of proportion with the contents of the exam (as described to me by people that have taken CEHv4, v5, and v6). If you work a full-time job, it could take you a year to make a thorough study that list.

I have no problems with a thick syllabus of "this is all the basic stuff you need to know for pen testing," but it's misleading to think that you need an understanding of all those objectives to pass the CEH exam.

Especially when a lot of people pass after a 4-5 day boot camp. They'd have to spend like 10 seconds per objective to cover all that...
    CEH only a week class which is not possible to understand everything in a 8 to 10 hours class. I'm still reading it right now and go thru the slide. Too many materials, but the exam will not cover everything and a lot of information just for knowledge only. It really hurt on taking the exam.

It is not because you don't have the skill, just too board on topic. It is hurting my eye and memory right now... more coffees please....
    Do you know when you're taking the exam?
    Thinking next week.