Anyone who has taken this exam...got any tips?

NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
I finally passed my Security+ today (happy happy joy joy). I want to get my Server+ next.

Aside from studying RAID and SCSI does anyone have any tips for passing this exam?
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Comments

• CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Know your SCSI speeds, cable lengths, and bit sizes. I saw a few questions on NAS and SAN. Server baselines, Server Room setup, Server Types (Application = dedicated/distributed/peer2peer), Backup types, tape types, memory, M$/Unix/Mac subfolders, etc...

I used the Server+ objectives for review.

Good Luck.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the Server+ Bible for SK0-001 to get a good background on the material. Then I used Transcender's pdf guide and practice tests to catch myself up to speed on the current objectives. I also bought an older book on SAN vs NAS for my own knowledge. It helped out some in this test though. I think CompuTron99 has given a good list of the sticking points I had and topics I remember.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I plan to take this test next as I already have the transcender practice exam for it as well as the CBT Nugget videos and I want to use them before the new test comes out and I have to buy new study material haha! Although even when the new one comes out I think they still give the option to take the old one for 3-6 months after it is released as well. At first I wanted to take the new one, but I figure I already have what I need to study for the SK0-002 minus a book which I am going to pick up this week. But even with no formal study done yet, IE no reading, no CBTs watched I am scoring pretty consistent 70-75's on the transcenders. Most of the questions I get wrong are ones regrading SCSI (which I used to have down!) or because of confusion with different speeds or standards. There is also alot of old tech on the test, for example stuff about adding a second CPU to a sever with a P3 Xeon.

But on the other hand most of it is pretty broad, general and easy if you have ever racked and setup a few severs before. They ask you things like where should the UPS be installed in the rack, the top middle or bottom haha. Also having A+ and Net+ should def help as there are some basic network questions on there and the concepts behind sever hardware is similar to alot of what is learned studying for A+, this just focuses more on sever specific technologies, such as RAID, SCSI, redundant NICs, backups, disaster recovery even some stuff on data center security. I personally do not think I will have too much trouble with it once I actually read a book and go though some CBTs, I found A+ and Net+ to be extremely easy and passed them way over the minimum score.

This one is set at 615 which is not too bad at all, I think that is about a 65 or 70%, but I am never good at figuring that out. I also think the new exam is going to have the minium score set higher as CompTIA seems to be doing that for all of their new tests, Net+ is now a 720, where as when I took it under the 2005 objectives it was 550 I think, A+ is also higher now with one exam being a 675 and the other a 700. Maybe they are scaled different but it seems to be like CompTIA is trying to get their name/rep back and making their certs harder to get as they have always been seen as entry level and easier to get than MS or Cisco certs, which is I think the point, they are a great starting point for someone looking to start a career in IT and wants a few certs under their belt

Anyway I am rambling on too much, just get a good practice exam like transcender, MeasureUp or PrepLogic (some of my favorites) and those will get you used to the types of questions you will see on the actual test. I am going to get this one done with as it relates to the career path I am on (MS Sever Admin) and then prob be done with CompTIA except for maybe Security+ down the line. After this it is onto the MS certs for me! I just figure this test will be a fairly easy win and something I will not have to spend mouths studying for and look nice with my A+ and Net+ on the resume.
  • NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
    Matt_Smi wrote: »
    I plan to take this test next as I already have the transcender practice exam for it as well as the CBT Nugget videos and I want to use them before the new test comes out and I have to buy new study material haha! Although even when the new one comes out I think they still give the option to take the old one for 3-6 months after it is released as well. At first I wanted to take the new one, but I figure I already have what I need to study for the SK0-002 minus a book which I am going to pick up this week. But even with no formal study done yet, IE no reading, no CBTs watched I am scoring pretty consistent 70-75's on the transcenders. Most of the questions I get wrong are ones regrading SCSI (which I used to have down!) or because of confusion with different speeds or standards.

I need to refresh what I learned about SCSI when I prepared for the A+.
    There is also alot of old tech on the test, for example stuff about adding a second CPU to a sever with a P3 Xeon.

But on the other hand most of it is pretty broad, general and easy if you have ever racked and setup a few severs before.

I have maybe setup a server once or twice back when I was the intern with another employee. I routinely have to help rack the servers though...my boss frequently moves things around in our server room.

I don't have the hands on experience with servers like I would like. I often find myself in the catch-22 of not being to able to do the things I want to get into (like configure a server or manage active directory permissions etc) because I don't have the experience. I almost feel like I'm stuck with the options of waiting till doomsday to be given the opportunity to get the experience or just being paper certified and not being able to perform when I do get the opportunity.

They ask you things like where should the UPS be installed in the rack, the top middle or bottom haha. Also having A+ and Net+ should def help as there are some basic network questions on there and the concepts behind sever hardware is similar to alot of what is learned studying for A+, this just focuses more on sever specific technologies, such as RAID, SCSI, redundant NICs, backups, disaster recovery even some stuff on data center security.

RAID...I think I understand most of that. Redundant nics too I think. Server specific technologies...totally clueless. Backups I got.
    I personally do not think I will have too much trouble with it once I actually read a book and go though some CBTs, I found A+ and Net+ to be extremely easy and passed them way over the minimum score.

This one is set at 615 which is not too bad at all, I think that is about a 65 or 70%, but I am never good at figuring that out. I also think the new exam is going to have the minium score set higher as CompTIA seems to be doing that for all of their new tests, Net+ is now a 720, where as when I took it under the 2005 objectives it was 550 I think, A+ is also higher now with one exam being a 675 and the other a 700. Maybe they are scaled different but it seems to be like CompTIA is trying to get their name/rep back and making their certs harder to get as they have always been seen as entry level and easier to get than MS or Cisco certs, which is I think the point, they are a great starting point for someone looking to start a career in IT and wants a few certs under their belt

Anyway I am rambling on too much, just get a good practice exam like transcender, MeasureUp or PrepLogic (some of my favorites) and those will get you used to the types of questions you will see on the actual test. I am going to get this one done with as it relates to the career path I am on (MS Sever Admin) and then prob be done with CompTIA except for maybe Security+ down the line. After this it is onto the MS certs for me! I just figure this test will be a fairly easy win and something I will not have to spend mouths studying for and look nice with my A+ and Net+ on the resume.

I have the Transcender stuff plus an exam cram book. I don't think that's enough for me to pass though (I used to love Transcender because it helped me ace my A+ and Network+ but it left me woefully unprepared for Security+). I usually try to get the Transcender stuff and at least two books on the subject before I sit for a cert. I'm having trouble finding a really good book for the SK0-002 exam. Anyone have any suggestions?
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
  • Divine-AssaultDivine-Assault Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Review disaster recovery methods, I had about 8 of those types of questions on my exam.
    Currently Studying for: 70-291

Life is too precious to waste...

Check out my Blog! :D
    www.oreillybookreviews.blogspot.com
  • Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Norbie wrote: »

I have maybe setup a server once or twice back when I was the intern with another employee. I routinely have to help rack the servers though...my boss frequently moves things around in our server room.

I don't have the hands on experience with servers like I would like. I often find myself in the catch-22 of not being to able to do the things I want to get into (like configure a server or manage active directory permissions etc) because I don't have the experience. I almost feel like I'm stuck with the options of waiting till doomsday to be given the opportunity to get the experience or just being paper certified and not being able to perform when I do get the opportunity.

Do you have the opportunity at your job to have someone walk you though the process of adding a new server? If so it will pay off greatly. There are some questions about the physical aspect of racking servers, like I mentioned where things like a UPS should go in the rack and also how to configure them to save the most space. I was stuck in the same type of position with regards to learning new stuff that I wanted too, then I got a job at a small company of around 180 (at the time) and the IT team was 3 people and me total. That gave me a chance and forced me to learn A LOT of stuff I have never seen before.

RAID...I think I understand most of that. Redundant nics too I think. Server specific technologies...totally clueless. Backups I got.

Experience helps with a lot of this as well, for example I always knew that you needed a minimum of 3 disks for RAID5 and one of them had to be for parity, but I never really understood why until I setup and ran a RAID5 setup in my desktop.

I have the Transcender stuff plus an exam cram book. I don't think that's enough for me to pass though (I used to love Transcender because it helped me ace my A+ and Network+ but it left me woefully unprepared for Security+). I usually try to get the Transcender stuff and at least two books on the subject before I sit for a cert. I'm having trouble finding a really good book for the SK0-002 exam. Anyone have any suggestions?

I too am in need of a good book, reviews on Amazon say the exam cram is not too great for this test (I have used them in the past), I am looking to see if there is a Server+ bible for this version of the exam as that book got high remarks on Amazon, but it is for the older test objectives.
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I ended up using the Exam Cram and the CompTIA book that comes with bundle.