Options

Practise LAb

YozhYozh Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

Got a quick question, some one might know. I just bought 2 more routers for my lab 2 2504`s primarly for the ISDN interfaces, but I want to use the toking ring also. I tried the no keepalive command and the interface go to initializing state. Is there anyway to bring them up with out having anything connected to them ?
LIfe is hard, thats all I have to say.

Comments

• Options
    No one has the answer, come on some one out there knows .........................
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are certain steps in the initialization process of a ring that require a MAU. If the MAU is not there then the interface will be in the init stage forever.

1. Lobe Test
    2. Physical Insertion and Monitor Check
    3. Duplicate Address Check
    4. Participation in Ring Poll
    5. Request Initialization

The interface may make it past step 3 but will surely fail on step 4.
  • Options
    So basicly what you saying is that, no metter what I need a MAU ?
  • Options
    You could try taking two paper clips and jumpering pins 1-5 and 6-9. This will give you a physical loopback and may get an up/up status. This could be good enough for testing the interface but you will never get the interface to insert itself into a ring.

Let me know if you get protocol up.
  • Options
    OK this is what happenes.
    *Mar  1 01:10:50.519: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface TokenRing0, changed state to down
    Router#
    *Mar  1 01:10:57.523: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface TokenRing0, changed state to initializing
    Router#
    *Mar  1 01:11:32.167: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface TokenRing0, changed state to up
    *Mar  1 01:11:33.167: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface TokenRing0, changed state to up
    Router#
    *Mar  1 01:11:41.687: %TR-6-STATRING: TR0: Ring Status: Down <Wire Fault,Only station>
    Router#
    *Mar  1 01:11:41.691: %TR-3-WIREFAULT: Unit 0, wire fault: check the lobe cable MAU connection.
    Router#
    *Mar  1 01:11:43.687: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface TokenRing0, changed state to down
    *Mar  1 01:11:44.687: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface TokenRing0, changed state to down
    Router#
    *Mar  1 01:11:46.519: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface TokenRing0, changed state to initializing

Which is good considering that I didnt get anything else before. Any way to keep it up/up ?
  • Options
    You would have to start generating SMP frames. This can only be done with another host. The only way you are going to get another host on the ring is with a MAU.
  • Options
    Well I have 2 of this routers can I connect them to each other to generate SMP frames ?
  • Options
    You can connect them together with a MAU.