Cable type for ISDN BRI connection

fuseboxfusebox Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just a quickquestion.,

what type of cable do I have to run between two cisco routers to get BRI ISDN running??

is it a straight through cat5?
Im a newbie.... please be easy on me.

Comments

• williamwbishopwilliamwbishop Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fusebox wrote:
    Just a quickquestion.,

what type of cable do I have to run between two cisco routers to get BRI ISDN running??

is it a straight through cat5?

Per a thread two threads down:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6843
  • fuseboxfusebox Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    that thread doesnt quite help me...

however with regards to my routers I cant determine if it includes a NT1 built in....
    Because my BRI port has symbol underneath the port... which looks like a square with a cross inside it. Im reasonably sure I have read somewhere that a straight through cat5 cable is required if Iwant to connect two routers directly via the BRI ports (2x 2503 cisco routers)
  • sbenjaminsbenjamin Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am not sure of the answer in this case but in every other case I can think of, if you are connecting two like devices it is a cross over cable that you need.
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In your case you have s/t interfaces. You will never get them to talk. You need a third router with NT1 interfaces or an ISDN simulator. I haven't seen it work with plain NT1 interfaces they were actually voice bri ports.
  • fuseboxfusebox Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tunerX wrote:
    In your case you have s/t interfaces. You will never get them to talk. You need a third router with NT1 interfaces or an ISDN simulator. I haven't seen it work with plain NT1 interfaces they were actually voice bri ports.

oh right.. icon_confused.gif

okay.. I wanted to ask a question.. Seeing I wont be able to setup a communication based on this information, supposing I went ahead and configured the BRI0 interface with all the stuff that is required to setup ISDN as per SybexCCNA pg 526->528, I cant seem to ping the local BRI0 interface.

I should be able to ping that local interface correct? or no? ......
  • sonagccnasonagccna Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    crossover..

may be a little note that help you