Martial Arts

2»

Comments

• splotch69splotch69 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I disagree with waiting to get first bb before starting another. If you do different ones together the sort of blend. And keep in mind the body can only bend, kick, and punch in so many directions. Most martial arts can be basically the same, but different name. I will agree that brazillian jujitsu is the best. If I could find an instructor in my area, then I would switch.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    We have a great group of various martial artists at Martial Warrior. It is a smaller community, but you will receive honest answers and good conversation with serious people.

There may even be members in your area or they may know a peer in your area they can help direct you toward.

I've been a member of the site since July and it is the only MA site I joined because I didn't find the group to slam other styles or stylists and they are very open to others experiences.

Let me know if you do check it out -I'll look for you there :)

Edit:
    {BTW- Johan said it was ok for me to post this link here icon_cool.gif }
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Webmaster wrote:
    show off on the parking lot (Tai Kwon do)

well I guess you wouldn't want to be in that parking lot with me when I show it off. icon_wink.gif

I've been in tae-kwon-do for 3 years know and, at red belt, I find it to be a very effective martial art. I think what makes an art useful is who teaches you the art. I'm being taught by a Korean who has the 5th Dan and he does it the hard traditional way. His training is very different from what goes in the states or Europe, etc.

On the same note, I think each type of martial art is most useful for a special situation. But the bottom line is that they are all meant for self defense, and they're pretty good at it.

/usr: if you want to be dangerous, go for kungfu. if that's too hard, then go for JuJitsu. If they're both too hard, then choose between Karate and Tae-kwon-do. And try to get a very good master, preferably an Asian.

Best Luck
    2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    icon_lol.gif I think you are misinterpreting my words, I was just saying it looks good, lots of high kicks, kicking and breaking boards, jump kicks etc. Though back in highschool I used to spar a lot in the schools gym with a friend who had done tae-kwon-do for 5 or 6 years; we were teaching some simple self-defence moves to the girls in school. At the end of the class we would always give a small demonstration, and everytime he showed off his high kicks, I'd grab his empty foot, walk around a bit and sweep the other leg he was standing on. icon_wink.gif In close combat he didn't stand a chance (getting close to him wasn't that easy though). All MAs are effective once you mastered them, though some are more effective in certain situations than others.
    I think what makes an art useful is who teaches you the art.
    Yeah, I agree with that, actually mentioned something similar earlier. I don't think you specifically need to look for an Asian instructor though, just stay away from the fitness guys that offer MA DVDs, and the Beverly Hills-type of instructors. But there are plenty of non-asians who can teach traditionally and well.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Webmaster wrote:
    In close combat he didn't stand a chance (getting close to him wasn't that easy though). All MAs are effective once you mastered them, though some are more effective in certain situations than others.
    I think what makes an art useful is who teaches you the art.
    Yeah, I agree with that, actually mentioned something similar earlier. I don't think you specifically need to look for an Asian instructor though, just stay away from the fitness guys that offer MA DVDs, and the Beverly Hills-type of instructors. But there are plenty of non-asians who
    can teach traditionally and well.

CQC and TKD cannot be equally compared. One uses more demonstration moves and the other just gets things done. Having experienced both, in my younger days I though TKD was great, but now I have seen there is so much more out there.

It is an art form so the best one for a person is the one that matches their personality. The instructor plays a big role in how well the student develops skill. The commitment must come from the student. :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Plantwiz wrote:
    CQC and TKD cannot be equally compared. One uses more demonstration moves and the other just gets things done.
    That's kinda what I meant with parking lot (demonstration) and that plain boxing (for example) is good if you want to win bar fights. I respect them all, though I personally prefer the ones that get things done as quickly and efficiently and with as little effort as possible. I think one's choice should depend a lot one what you want to do with it, as you will (should) put a lot of time in it. For some it is a way of life (in that case you probably want to master multiple and different arts/styles), other 'just' go to learn self-defence/fighting skills, in which case some are more efficient and faster to learn than those with a large show element.

/usr: have you been to a trial lesson or made a choice yet?
  • DeadProphetDeadProphet Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have trained JiuJitsu and I must say that it was really fun, and man what a exercise. But I am more interested in Kung Fu (Shao Lin type) or Tai Chi. this because I like the movements, Kung Fu uses wide movements, the only trouble is that where I live in Sweden there is no Kung Fu or Tai Chi classes available.
    There is Shoot fighting, Brasilian Ju Jitsu and regular Ju Jitsu and of course Karate but thats not for me.