A+

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have recently purchased the Mike Myers A+ 6th eiditon book and wish to become A+ certified I have worked in the I.T industry for 4 years have experience both in help desk and now working as an I.T Technician.

Question is to become A+ qualified do I have to pass 4 exams? I thought it was only 2?
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    I have recently purchased the Mike Myers A+ 6th eiditon book and wish to become A+ certified I have worked in the I.T industry for 4 years have experience both in help desk and now working as an I.T Technician.

Question is to become A+ qualified do I have to pass 4 exams? I thought it was only 2?

[highlight]The latest version of CompTIA A+ is CompTIA A+ 2009 Edition. Two exams are necessary to be certified: CompTIA A+ Essentials, exam code 220-701; and CompTIA A+ Practical Application, exam code 220-702. [/highlight]

CompTIA A+ Essentials measures the necessary competencies of an entry-level IT professional with at least 500 hours of hands-on experience in the lab or field. It tests for the fundamentals of computer technology, networking and security, as well as the communication skills and professionalism now required of all entry-level IT professionals.

CompTIA A+ Practical Application is an extension of the knowledge and skills identified in CompTIA A+ Essentials, with more of a "hands-on" orientation focused on scenarios in which troubleshooting and tools must be applied to resolve problems

A link to the Comp Tia A+ website:
    CompTIA A+
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Divine-AssaultDivine-Assault Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Judging from your post I think your looking at the A+ 2006 version of the exam. For the A+ 2006 version you have to take the A+ Essentials exam which is your primary exam and for your secondary exam you can take either IT Technician exam, Remote Support Technician exam, or Depot Technician exam. No matter what you need to take the A+ Essentials exam and a secondary.

For example, lets say you passed the A+ Essentials exam and the IT Technician exam, that would certify you as a CompTIA IT Technician. If you pass the A+ Essentials exam and the Depot Technician, that would certify you as the CompTIA Depot Technician.

However in the A+ 2009 version you HAVE to take the A+ Essentials exam and the A+ Practical Application exam in order to be A+ certified.

In my opinion, go for the A+ 2009 version since it is the current A+ exam.
    Currently Studying for: 70-291

Life is too precious to waste...

Check out my Blog! :D
    www.oreillybookreviews.blogspot.com
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As others have mentioned, you should look at going for the 2009 objectives as this is the newest and most relevant A+ exam out there right now.

I passed my exam back on Tuesday this week and already have my certification confirmed (only 2 days, not 5 to verify info in my case) and hopefully it will be sent to me soon.

But good luck and work hard and you'll get your A+ in no time. :)
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can I still take the 2006 exam? feeling a bit pissed off as I have just bought this book
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Divine-AssaultDivine-Assault Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes however the exam will be no longer be available to be taken on August 31, 2010.
    Currently Studying for: 70-291

Life is too precious to waste...

Check out my Blog! :D
    www.oreillybookreviews.blogspot.com
    Yes however the exam will be no longer be available to be taken on August 31, 2010.

I believe I read somewhere that it is February 28th, 2010 is the last date for the exam.
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Can I still take the 2006 exam? feeling a bit pissed off as I have just bought this book

From what I have heard, much of what is in the older book is similar to the new test, however there are many things with Vista in the exam. Basically the only OS's are 2000, xp, and Vista.

Also there are some other items that are newer technologies such as Blu-Ray disks, Wireless N, etc.

Is there any chance that you could go to the store you got the book at and exchange it for one that covers the new one? (The Sybex book is good).
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I believe I read somewhere that it is February 28th, 2010 is the last date for the exam.
    yup, you're right, it's been pushed up to the end of February.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion