Freshly A+ Certified!

MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hi Folks! Just wanted to pass on that I passed the A+ Essentials and Practical Application exam today with scores of 835 and 805. I have 3 years experience in IT support roles so it wasn't too hard. I did pick up the new Sybex Complete Review Guide by Dulaney and it did a decent job. It didn't do a good job covering much of the Practical Application test, but did well enough coupled with my experience that I was able to pass it. If I didn't have the experience I would definitely recommend getting a more comprehensive study guide/book/practice test.

The Sybex book tried to cram in the DMA's, IO addresses, and IRQ's that really aren't used anymore and weren't anywhere on the new exams. (701/702)

Comments

• NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats on the pass and thanks for the review. What's next on the agenda?
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well, that's what I'm not sure on what certification I want to do next. I do want to be a Sys Admin/Server Admin someday, so I'm debating on doing the MCITP in Server Admin (640/642/646) or if I should knock out the Network+ or another CompTIA test.

Or I was even debating on doing some of the MS desktop/help desk certs as well to go in conjunction with the A+ I have.

As far as my background, I have over 3 years experienced, but was laid off by a government contractor (was working at DHS) in April. I ended up being ruled out of some jobs because I didn't have the A+ so I finally decided to stop putting it off and busted my butt the past 2 weeks to study up and pass both. All I have to say, is that this job market is horrid. I finally took a entry level seasonal help desk (call center) position just so I could be working even though the pay is 40% less than I was making before. (I even have a Secret level clearance and can't find a thing)
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations!

However, careful on statements like this:
    The Sybex book tried to cram in the DMA's, IO addresses, and IRQ's that really aren't used anymore and weren't anywhere on the new exams. (701/702)

Those DMA's IO and IRQ's are too still used. There is firmware in place to help minimize the conflicts, but if you don't know of them, and understand them, you can look pretty silly troubleshooting hardware...especially with an old-school client who 'knows' how these items work and maybe sets you up ;)

Failing to know these items is like a person (such as myself) claiming to be a mechanic because I can change out my own battery, tires, oil, install a new window (door and windshield), wiper motors (front and rear), door handles, mirrors, oil filter, air filters, all the light bulbs, fuses, spark plugs, serp belt, and heck even fuel the vehicle....but that doesn't make me a mechanic. Same as a 'tech' who has mastered board swapping/part swapping until the PC boots...doesn't mean you understand 'why' the problem started and ways to minimize it from returning. I see too often techs just tell the customer 'it's time to upgrade because your machine is a lost cause'...where as if the tech understood the problem they may have been able to truly troubleshoot the issues.

Just be careful brushing that 'stuff' off as pointless. There are reasons they still are used...even if you don't immediately see them.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Touche.... They are still used, however they are not in the exam. I should have reworded it that they are automatically set by the system and aren't really manually adjusted unless there is a conflict that arises. Therefore it isn't as important as they were on legacy machines.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As a follow up to this, just by getting certified and putting it into my resume on Wednesday, I have gotten several phone calls for new job offers which I wasn't expecting to happen so quickly.

So those of you reading these posts and continuing to procrastinate, go and get your A+ soon.
  • Tin32Tin32 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As a follow up to this, just by getting certified and putting it into my resume on Wednesday, I have gotten several phone calls for new job offers which I wasn't expecting to happen so quickly.

So those of you reading these posts and continuing to procrastinate, go and get your A+ soon.

Congrats.
  • poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I am sitting for my A+ essentials on Wednesday.. Trying to make sure I know everything, but certainly don't want to go in over confident.
    Scott
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.