how to find an frame-relay mac of an ip?

poguypoguy Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
how to find an frame-relay mac of an ip?

but looking the ip and go to that router and type show run??

thank you

Comments

• billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Frame-relay operates at Layer 2, IP addresses operate at Layer 3. A frame-relay network, doesn't necessarily have to have an IP address to pass "frames" at layer 2. They operate of off DLCI's whether it is local or globally significant. But, if you are trying to find the IP address of a particular Port that you have assigned a DLCI and enabled Frame-relay encapsulation, you could use the show running-configuration command or even show interface "typehere". I hope this is what you are looking for.

You can also see if any IP's have been mapped using the show frame-relay map command.
  • poguypoguy Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thank you fr helping,
    what if I want to find the dlci of an ip address? is it possible??
    cheers,
    KEvin
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Frame-relay operates at Layer 2, IP addresses operate at Layer 3. A frame-relay network, doesn't necessarily have to have an IP address to pass "frames" at layer 2. They operate of off DLCI's whether it is local or globally significant. But, if you are trying to find the IP address of a particular Port that you have assigned a DLCI and enabled Frame-relay encapsulation, you could use the show running-configuration command or even show interface "typehere". I hope this is what you are looking for.

You can also see if any IP's have been mapped using the show frame-relay map command.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Show frame map is what you are looking for I believe.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • poguypoguy Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Show frame map is what you are looking for I believe.

isn't sh frame map, map the remote ip to the local dlci?? so the dlci shown in sh frame map is not the dlci of the remote ip, isn't it? That's the question I'm thinking all day.

I'm thinking you hav to go to remote router and see which interface has the ip and check the dlci in sh run... or something like this to look for the "local dlci of the ip"

Now, I'm thinking sh frame map is the solution, thx
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    poguy wrote: »
    isn't sh frame map, map the remote ip to the local dlci?? so the dlci shown in sh frame map is not the dlci of the remote ip, isn't it? That's the question I'm thinking all day.

I'm thinking you hav to go to remote router and see which interface has the ip and check the dlci in sh run... or something like this to look for the "local dlci of the ip"

What exactly are you looking to do? The DLCI is local specific identifier to each router....have a look at this for some light reading on the topic.
    CCNA: Frame Relay DLCIs And Mappings
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    poguy wrote: »

Just remember that a dlci is local meaning that in a network like thi

R1>>><<FRS>>><<R2

A dlci would be from Router 1 to the frame relay switch. There would also be one from the R2 to the frame relay switch. They actually could be the same dlci but they can (and usually are from what I've seen) different dlci. In a real world situation, you would call your telco and ask what the dlci is.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    When you do a show frame map it is going to give you the DLCI that the router would use to reach that IP. It doesn't matter what DLCI is on the other side.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Nine times out of ten your going to see local DLCI's being used. To find the DLCI that is mapped to that IP you would use show frame map. That DLCI is only locally significant to that router if "local DLCI's" are in use and not global addressing. This means that when that IP is reached, it will do it via that DLCI. Check out the CBT Nuggets videos if you can they do a good job of explaining it.