Options

Thinking Ahead to CCNP

up2thetimeup2thetime Member Posts: 154
Hey all..

Just thinking ahead here...but I have been studying for the CCNA for quite a while...I found that to thoroughly understand the material inside out its taken about 10 months (with full time school + work).... I am almost completely ready I think.

I notice the CCNP is 4 exams... but do each of the 4 exams entail as much information as the CCNA? This would mean it takes me almost 4 years to become a CCNP!

Don't get me wrong... I'm in no rush and I try to really understand this stuff inside and out... but I am basing the 4 exams on the amount it took to fully understand the CCNA.

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    up2thetime wrote: »
    Hey all..

Just thinking ahead here...but I have been studying for the CCNA for quite a while...I found that to thoroughly understand the material inside out its taken about 10 months (with full time school + work).... I am almost completely ready I think.

I notice the CCNP is 4 exams... but do each of the 4 exams entail as much information as the CCNA? This would mean it takes me almost 4 years to become a CCNP!

Don't get me wrong... I'm in no rush and I try to really understand this stuff inside and out... but I am basing the 4 exams on the amount it took to fully understand the CCNA.

I was told by a ccnp that there are 5 test to do the ccnp (the 4 ccnp+1ccna) if you catch my drift. I think the NP material is more in depth.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Each CCNP exam is far more narrow than the CCNA (less technologies per exam), but the information is MUCH deeper.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    CCNA is pre-requisite to CCNP. Also, the CCNP series is changing to 3 exams (Route, Switch, and Troubleshoot) soon, so consider that when planning a certification path.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    That CCNP is more in depth. Currently it is four tests but on June 23, 2010, as hypnotoad said it will change to 3 tests. It all depends on your study habits and how much time you dedicate and how well you retain information to determine how long that it will take you to pass the exam.
  • Options
    abhustlerabhustler Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recently passed the ISCW for the CCNP and I agree with the other post. It was more in depth but covered far fewer topics. It took me about 3 months to study for the CCNA and a little more than a month for the ISCW. However, I believe the concensus is the routing and switching exams for the CCNP are considerably harder than the ISCW and ONT.
    A master at anything was once a beginner
  • Options
    abhustler wrote: »
    I recently passed the ISCW for the CCNP and I agree with the other post. It was more in depth but covered far fewer topics. It took me about 3 months to study for the CCNA and a little more than a month for the ISCW. However, I believe the concensus is the routing and switching exams for the CCNP are considerably harder than the ISCW and ONT.

As far as I have heard the BCMSN and BSCI are the beasts of them all! With the BSCI being the main beast to tackle.
  • Options
    Morty3Morty3 Member Posts: 139
    Yeah I heard the same. They should be really deep and techical, but on the other hand, they are the most amusing ones to learn! At least in my opinion!
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, Net+, Sonicwall Admin (fwiw). Constantly getting into new stuff.
  • Options
    Morty3 wrote: »
    Yeah I heard the same. They should be really deep and techical, but on the other hand, they are the most amusing ones to learn! At least in my opinion!

I totally agree :)