CISCO Kits

zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
Guys, I've been considering doing the CCNA: Security, and I was wondering what kind of kit I should get. I was thinking that a kit with a firewall would be necessary, but, apparently, not. I'm also curious as to why most of the kits include two routers as opposed to one. Basically, I'd like some help on choosing the right kit. Any help would be much appreciated. Right now, I'm thinking about going with two routers and a switch.

Comments

• zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    Well, I don't know if people think I'm a bot or an advertiser, but I'm not, and I've been posting on this forum for years. I'm just a guy genuinely looking to learn more about networking and get some hands on experience. (I really hate to post links, but this is the only way I can get across all the different options) So, here are some of the kits I'm considering. Come on guys, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

CCNA Certification Kits
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Super overpriced, IMHO. Also, most of the kits are older equipment, especially the switches. I would look at what they offer as a kit and then price it out on eBay. It may take you a bit to put together but you'll save a ton in the end. But if you want the convenience of getting it all in one shipment and you have the cash to burn go ahead. Good luck!
  • btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying for the CCNA Security exam. Do you already have equipment? Most of the stuff I lab for CCNAS I do in GNS3.
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Had a bit of a Dynamik moment and found a good link for your question.

CCNA Security Part 3: Lab Requirements | NetworkWorld.com Community
    Kam.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    zen master wrote: »
    Well, I don't know if people think I'm a bot or an advertiser, but I'm not, and I've been posting on this forum for years. I'm just a guy genuinely looking to learn more about networking and get some hands on experience. (I really hate to post links, but this is the only way I can get across all the different options) So, here are some of the kits I'm considering. Come on guys, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

CCNA Certification Kits

I don't think anyone believes you are a bot or anything, but your same question has been asked many times which is why people aren't jumping to answer again. Try searching the forum and I'm sure your questions will be answered ten fold.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You'd probably want a couple of routers (or Dynamips/GNS3) that support at least version 12.4(9)T of at least the advanced security feature set -- and a switch for the Layer 2 security security stuff.

I'm also moving this thread to the CCNA:Security forum
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Thanks for the assistance guys. I actually couldn't imagine getting the equipment any cheaper than I see it on the site, but I'll do some research. Sorry if the question has been asked/answered already.

Somehow, I always thought that a lab for CCNA:Security would require at least one firewall.
  • btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For CCNA Security you learn about the Cisco IOS Firewall (turn one of your routers into a firewall).
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
    btowntech wrote: »
    For CCNA Security you learn about the Cisco IOS Firewall (turn one of your routers into a firewall).

Is that really anywhere near as good a solution as a CISCO ASA (Advanced Security Appliance)?
    btowntech wrote: »
    I'm currently studying for the CCNA Security exam. Do you already have equipment? Most of the stuff I lab for CCNAS I do in GNS3.

Nope, I don't have any of the equipment yet. I went the path of a simulator when I did my CCNA, but now I want to move away from simulators and start building a serious lab at home. I want the experience of cable crimping (cables being bad), bad network points, everything that could happen in a "real world" scenario, and I don't think that simulators can really provide that.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    zen master wrote: »
    Is that really anywhere near as good a solution as a CISCO ASA (Advanced Security Appliance)?

imo no it's not, but it's a good introduction to security and what goes on under the hood icon_smile.gif
    The ASA is covered more in depth in the CCSP track
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)