Confusion around 685

mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
ok...

What do you get if you pass the 685 on its own? anything at all? My colleague has passed this and has an email from MS with a username and password for the mcp site. When logged in though, there are no certs to download.

I have the 680 and 685 so far - and I can't find anywhere what this gives me either?

I am aware of the MCITP:EDST7 route needing a HDI exam etc, but what do you get if you pass JUST the 685?

confused.png

Comments

• mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It appears I have just answered my own question.

You don't actually GET anything for passing the 685, ie no credential.

You need to pass the 680, and a relevant HDI exam on the following link to get the MCITP:EDST7

HDI Desktop Support Technician | HDI - Leading IT Service & Support

hmmm... just the HDI exam to go then, which seems more like ITILv3 Foundation.
    Not too sure whether to go for it or not! :)
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Exactly! That's the point I was making in our previous discussion of this. I didn't want to come out and say taking the 685 was pointless for you....

http://www.techexams.net/forums/windows-7-exams/47718-just-passed-680-a.html#post353867

I'm not sure adding to your helpdesk/end user support certs would help you as you are trying to get more into server/network administration. I would say keep it a low priority and see if you have the cash to waste one it. All I know is that recruiters here in the States would try to pigeonhole you into support positions based on your continued end-user support certification.

MS certainly benefited from you taking the test with your background and experience. So it wasn't a waste.
    Exactly! That's the point I was making in our previous discussion of this. I didn't want to come out and say taking the 685 was pointless for you....

http://www.techexams.net/forums/windows-7-exams/47718-just-passed-680-a.html#post353867

I'm not sure adding to your helpdesk/end user support certs would help you as you are trying to get more into server/network administration. I would say keep it a low priority and see if you have the cash to waste one it. All I know is that recruiters here in the States would try to pigeonhole you into support positions based on your continued end-user support certification.

MS certainly benefited from you taking the test with your background and experience. So it wasn't a waste.

Robert...

You are totally right - I only realised after I had posted it - I was temporarily confused. You know when you post something and wish you hadn't? icon_eek.gif

Anyway. I don't think I will be pursuing the HDI cert, I might do one day as you say when I have some spare cash, but if I do it won't be going on my resume. It will just be a personal success. It's interesting really that the HDI exam looks very similar in content to ITIL V3F. I would rather do that! Maybe MS should have accepted that as an elective too?

oh well... fingers crossed for 686.

Thanks Robert
  • jrobb259jrobb259 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks like the HDI requirement hasn't quite been pinned down yet according to a post on the Born to Learn blog this morning. Here is the post so that you don't have to look for it:

"MSL will be offering a MCITP: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician certification. The requirements are not yet finalized. We expect to have final requirements shortly. Candidates wishing to pursue this certification can safely proceed to prepare for 680: Win 7, Configuring and 685: Win 7, EDST. Additional requirements will be announced by the end of December 2009. Upgrade requirements have not been determined yet and will be announced at the same time."

Link to Born to Learn
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is good info to have! Thank you!
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I'm gonna be pissed if they remove the hdi requirement because that's the whole reason I didn't do the beta for 685.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I'm gonna be pissed if they remove the hdi requirement because that's the whole reason I didn't do the beta for 685.

As much as I feel for you on this issue, I think that removing the hdi requirement will upset less people than keeping it on would.

I would prefer to leave off that requirement, but at the same time it doesn't affect me a whole lot, so, while I can't say that I'm impartial, I can say that ultimately I'm mostly fine with either way it goes.
    As much as I feel for you on this issue, I think that removing the hdi requirement will upset less people than keeping it on would.

I would prefer to leave off that requirement, but at the same time it doesn't affect me a whole lot, so, while I can't say that I'm impartial, I can say that ultimately I'm mostly fine with either way it goes.

+1

I don't mind either way either TBH, but I dare say if another MS cert is required, I think I might go for it but only because I have the 680 & 685.