Options

Job offer as Net Admin

Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I received an offer letter this morning from a company that I interview with last week. icon_cheers.gif I am currently employed so I don't NEED this.

The letter of employment just states bases salary, probation period and start date. Shouldn’t there be more? Now my questions

1. We spoke about a taking a lower salary with a review in 3months. This is not in there. (Concerned?)

2. The salary is not much of an increase of what I am making, how to negotiate? (I took my current job on a lower salary because I needed the job, now that I am in this position I don't want to short change myself again.)

3. Spoke of paid training, M-F hrs, benefits. None of this is in the contract. Should it be?
WIP: 70-647 (5%)

Comments

• Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    You probably received a "Blanket" offer letter from the Human Resources Department. All they do is fill in the blanks for your name / address , salary, and your start date.

I would contact the person you originally spoke to about the extras, and let them know that the offer letter did not include that. You may be able to get an addendum to the cover letter explaining what was missing.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    The negotiation process is a whole give and take period. Ask for a time to come in and go over the details of the offer letter so that everything they promised is in there. If it isn't in there chances are it won't happen. My experience is that this is much easier when in person, not to mention swifter. If you don't feel comfortable with the way the company is treating you then don't be afraid to drop them, since you can afford to.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    I would make sure you get the conditions in writing, otherwise it would go away quickly and you will be holding the bag. As far as negotiating salary, there should be a number on the letter to call for questions. I would try go to through HR and not the hiring manager. Some companies are different, but it never hurts to ask for more. Be prepared to justify the request for more.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Would you be doing anything more beneficial for your career at this place than your current one?
  • Options
    I've been working on a counter offer letter to send to them here shortly. I have added in the conditions that were discussed, so I'll see how they come back. My start date is for Nov 23rd but I was told by the IT manager that they could be ready for me as early as this Monday.. wtf! Didn’t expect that.

This is a step up for me, even though I am currently a sys admin it is a very Jr Role. My day to day duties are hardly anything. I feel if anything I've actually regressed what I have learned. This new job is wide open with things I will learn. Ex. they are planning to migrate from exchange 2k3 to exchange 2k7 in the next coming months.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're not learning or progressing at your current job, then a lateral jump like this might be a good thing. Sending them your requirements, as previously discussed between you and them, was ABSOLUTELY the right thing to do. Always get it in writing.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    This has been a lot harder then I thought. Here is what I have come up with. I'm having issues wording some areas.

Dear So and So:
    I am excited about the offer you extended on November 5th, 2009, and look forward to accepting it. I feel confident I will make a significant contribution to the growth and profitability of new employer division over the short and long term. The terms you have described in the offer are acceptable, with a few minor changes.

Base Salary: $49,000 per annum
    The research I’ve done on comparable salaries and cost of living differences between where I live & work show that a base salary of $62,000 would be the market value of my experience for this position. The current offer of $49,000 would result in a dramatic reduction in living standard. Based on the above, I would like you to consider as a compromise a base salary of $55,000.

Sign On Bonus – Asking for $3000 (I thought of either asking for $55k w/ no bonus or 52k w/ 3k SOB)

Misc expenses – Laptop, cell phone, parking,

Start Date: December 3, 2009
    I am actually available to start to telecommute as early as next week -- as soon as we agree on the final aspects of the offer.
    If you could see to making these modest improvements to your offer, my performance will show you a handsome return. I am prepared to hit the ground running.

Sincerely,

As you can see, I'm having problems wording the SOB & Misc Expenses...
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    modest improvements are 10000$ in cash, bonuses and equipment?

I need to move to Canada!
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Dont expect the SOB, especially if it hasn't been mentioned yet. Just IMO, I assume this is still a Jr position (IE you are not managing anyone), and SOB usually only come when there was no one even close to as good as you (and again, at a 50k job, there was probably 50 other decent candidates).

I have also never seen parking included in a wage, even when the company owned the building. Downtown Toronto is probably another 2-4k/year?

Oh, and are you going to be on call? If so, pay for your phone. If your not on call, why should they pay for it?

One final note, you may get a lot of this verbally promised to you as drafting a new offer letter (apart from salary) takes some companies a long time since they have to go through lawyers.

Did they mention vacation time in the offer? Thats something I always push for!
  • Options
    The SOB makes sense, I've never asked for it before but I have heard people talk about it and swear by always asking for it at every job. I don't think there were many other candidates just giving how quickly things went, however I could be off on that one but its just a feeling.

My current place has a monthly parking pass that they pay for. There is underground parking. However this is T.O. so who really knows.

The on-call availability was never mentioned, however being in IT aren't we always on call... I do have a phone but this is my personal phone not a work phone. Again agreed that if I'm on call they should front the cost, if not on call then they won't.

No mention was made of vacation time.
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    Dont expect the SOB, especially if it hasn't been mentioned yet. Just IMO, I assume this is still a Jr position (IE you are not managing anyone), and SOB usually only come when there was no one even close to as good as you (and again, at a 50k job, there was probably 50 other decent candidates).

I have also never seen parking included in a wage, even when the company owned the building. Downtown Toronto is probably another 2-4k/year?

Oh, and are you going to be on call? If so, pay for your phone. If your not on call, why should they pay for it?

One final note, you may get a lot of this verbally promised to you as drafting a new offer letter (apart from salary) takes some companies a long time since they have to go through lawyers.

Did they mention vacation time in the offer? Thats something I always push for!
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I would hope they would formally talk about if you are on call or not, as that can be a big deal to some people.

Dont get me wrong, they have made you an offer so at this point, it doesn't hurt to ask for more, or even just clarification on what is included. They might offer you a pass for the go-train over parking :P
  • Options
    I submitted my counter offer 30mins ago so I'll see how they respond to it. I kept it pretty simple. I tore the original letter apart and redrafted a new one, this time only keeping the salary increase & performance review.

Salary: Originally was 49500. I countered with 55k. (Reality figuring when the dust settles it will be around the area of 53k.)

Performance: I asked for a PR after a 3month period. (Again figuring this should bump me up to my desired salary range.)

I'm hoping to hear back from them by the end of today, so I'll have the weekend to think it over & either accept/reject first thing Monday morning.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How many years experience is the key. If you're over 2 years as an admin already that salary is too low for downtown. If it's the suburbs then i can see why especially since salaries rolled back right across the industry.