Fan Problem Persists

New UserNew User Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Okay I'm back with the same question and am looking for any tips on
this. I'm desperate so I had to post once more on this topic.

I've got a Dell Dimension 4100
P3 1 GHz
NVIDIA GForce2 MX/MX 400
Do you need any other information?

My damn computer fan is running full speed all the time. It started
doing this about a week ago. I made no changes in hardware over the past
6 months (maybe more).

I've tried a few things that didn't have any effect.

Was told that the HD may in some way be the culprit. Tried different
hard drive.

Switched out video card with older original card.

Removed heat sink off of CPU and applied new coat of heat sink compound.
Wasn't necessary and of course didn't make a difference.

Flashed BIOS. No effect.

Help me. This will be the last time I post about this. Dont want to be too much of a bother.

Thanks for help.

Comments

• TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    Is it actually running faster (and blowing more air), or can you just hear that it's louder now? Dirty bearings can cause it to sound like it's racing when, in fact, it's slowing down due to friction.

Trade the fan out. If it's part of the PSU, see if you have another one of equal or greater capacity. If you purchase a new PSU (or case fan, for that matter), I highly recommend Antec. It's a *little* more expensive, but it's worth it as you won't have as many problems down the line.

I can only assume that you've checked to see if you're running at 100% CPU usage. I don't think it's your HD or components. Other than that, it's hard to tell without having my ear within 3 feet of your box.

Best of luck.
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • jacev1jacev1 Member Posts: 107
    Is it actually running faster (and blowing more air), or can you just hear that it's louder now? Dirty bearings can cause it to sound like it's racing when, in fact, it's slowing down due to friction.

Very true, try cleaning it out.
    Trade the fan out. If it's part of the PSU, see if you have another one of equal or greater capacity. If you purchase a new PSU (or case fan, for that matter), I highly recommend Antec. It's a *little* more expensive, but it's worth it as you won't have as many problems down the line.

May not be possible, Most older DELLs have a proprietary PSU & motherboards so a standard PSU won't work. Check your mobo before buying a new power supply. Borrow a PSU from another tech if you can, better yet try to borrow another DELL PSU.

Good Luck!
    Wars not make one great. Coffee makes one Great!
    - Master Yoda
  • GawdGawd Member Posts: 132
    Make sure your components are clean too. Probally are if you've been swapping stuff. But if dust builds up, it will start to make like an insulation around your parts.

Gawd
  • BinaryBagboyBinaryBagboy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How old is the machine..?? Is it still in warranty..??

I was contracted out to a customer all last month & they were getting all new Dell boxes. On at least 2 boxes, the fan was just winding out. They didn't start that way, but after the box warmed up about 10 minutes, the fan would just start cranking.

Since these were new out of the box, I contacted Dell (actually got an English speaking tech with absolutely NO accent icon_twisted.gif )

New fans were shipped ASAP & the problem did not repeat itself. When you push as many boxes as Dell, I'm sure a few slip by QC.

I was contracted out to a customer all last month & they were getting all new Dell boxes. On at least 2 boxes, the fan was just winding out. They didn't start that way, but after the box warmed up about 10 minutes, the fan would just start cranking.

Since these were new out of the box, I contacted Dell (actually got an English speaking tech with absolutely NO accent icon_twisted.gif )

New fans were shipped ASAP & the problem did not repeat itself. When you push as many boxes as Dell, I'm sure a few slip by QC.

Speaking of Dell returns/repairs, I ordered an Inspiron 5160 about 4 months ago (when they had the $750 off $1500 coupon - so sweet) and it arrived with an LCD problem (vertical stripe). They quickly sent me another one, and I shipped my problem unit back to them, simple as that. Great service.
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    I got that 5160 also. ;D Pretty Sweet Notebook eh? A little heavier then I thought, but It barely moves anyways.

Gawd
    Gawd wrote:
    I got that 5160 also. ;D Pretty Sweet Notebook eh? A little heavier then I thought, but It barely moves anyways.

Gawd

When I get to the point that I can't lift 7-8 pounds, I shouldn't be playing on the computer anyway. :D
    Kaplan IT
    ;) True. Just a little akward trying to carry with 1 hand, heh..

Gawd
  • New UserNew User Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry so late on responses. Guess I neglected to check off the "Notify me when a reply is posted".

Okay, I'll try to answer all the questions.

It is blowing pretty hard. There is significant airflow. I've wondered if perhaps the fan itself could've been the problem though. When the fan started to get louder it was sort of a gradual change. It seemed to me that this gradual change was due to varying speeds that the fan was running at but I also wondered if it was due to some issues with the fan itself. However, it does seem as though its just loud because of the speed at which it is running at. It seems as though it is pulling a lot of air through the machine.

Pretty old. Its a P3 machine. I've had it for 4 years. I think its been 4 years. Lost track of time. But its old. Still, its a sweet machine. She's my baby. So now, its no longer under warranty.

Make sure your components are clean too.
    Yeah, its pretty clean in there now as well as all vents so the airflow is good too.

I can only assume that you've checked to see if you're running at 100% CPU usage.
    Yup, I checked it out. Its running normally...like greased lightning...very noisy greased lightning.

Must state though that this problem came on out of the blue one day. It just got loud and then the sound/speed of the fan sort of flucutated for a while and now it has just stayed at what seems to be full speed. It stays there once I start the computer and doesn't let up.

Also, the fan is mainly devoted to the CPU but it design also pulls air through the case in order to cool other components. The fan for the power source is quiet.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    The fans in my brothers machine will do this from time to time, especially if the machine has been on for a while.

Just replace the fan and don't fight it. It isn't even worth the hassle when a replacement fan is only going to set you back a few dollars.
    Okay, I think I'll take your advice. Hope that it takes care of the problem and hopefully the fact that its a Dell wont mean that I cant get the fan as someone mentioned in an earlier response. I'll look into it tomorrow though.
    Quick note - if the fan is in your PSU, do NOT attempt to break down your PSU to install a new fan in there - replace the whole PSU. Otherwise, you could get badly shocked, even while unplugged. It's not worth it.
    Kaplan IT
    Oops, I thought I read that it was the CPU fan... icon_redface.gif

Just open your case, put your head down there, and listen. icon_wink.gif
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    Just to add my two cents in.

The speed of some case fans are controlled by the motherboard, and will speed up once a sensor detects the internal temp of the case to be too high. Once the sensor detects a high temp reading, it has the power supply increase the amount of power to the fan, thus causing it to speed up to dissipate the heat. It could be that the circutry which controls this, or the sensor itself, may be defective.

I would check the power plug going into your fan with a volt meter, and see what voltage it reads. If it's too high, then you'll have a point to start troubleshooting further.
    sounds scary but you are probably right. i don't think that there is anything wrong with the fan so its likely got something to do with the circuitry as you're suggesting. i'm still going to go out and buy a replacement fan to see if it makes a difference. if not then i'm guessing that i'm screwed. will have to look into it further to determine if its an IC that needs to be replaced and if so if its readily available. i have an old Dell and there may some proprietary parts issues that arise. never replaced and IC and not sure if its even possible should it in fact be the source of the problem.

what a bummer. well, if its too much of a headache i may have to take this as a sign to buy a new computer.

thanks for help
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    Keep us updated.
    Which fan is it that is running fast? Case fan, power supply, or CPU?
    The CPU fan...oops I mean case fan. Sorry.
    Well I did it. I bought a new fan, put it in (pain in the butt) and its much quieter. It isn't blowing anywhere near as hard as the other one did though but I don't care. As long as its quiet :). Now I can get some work done.

Feel a bit stupid being that the solution was so simple. Was cool though as I've now gotten the experience of installing a case fan :). Was getting pretty agravated with the CPU heat sink. The retainer clip popped off a number of times.

Feel bad that it was just a case of replacing the fan but I was convinced that it wasn't the fan that was the problem. Oops. I'm glad I was wrong though. Thanks for all the help everyone and sorry for being stubborn/dumb on this.

10 Experience points gained for New User
    Just replace the fan and don't fight it. It isn't even worth the hassle when a replacement fan is only going to set you back a few dollars.

*Cough*

icon_wink.gif
    heh heh. yeah, you were right. on the plus side, besides my computer being nice and quiet, its also really clean.

thanks for the help.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I'm late into this issue which has been solved!!

Also, consider a larger chassis fan if you can fit it. The larger 90mm and 120mm fans can push more air with less revolutions compared to an 80mm. So they will be quieter.

Also, Zalman makes some outstanding quite CPU coolers. Mine is rated for 21dB and there has been a huge difference in the white noise since I have installed it.

Glad you fixed your problem :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?