Startup?

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Was wondering what everyones thoughts on creating a start up business is? While I'd like to focus services on security, it would also offer network consulting, break/fix, etc...

I'd be going into this as a part time thing, because I already have a full time job. My friend has been doing "side work" for a while but it has become so much that he wanted some help. I know that others on the forums have done startups before which is why I'm asking.

Comments

• Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's all or nothing. Almost all startups that are treated like a side project wind up on the roadside by a year in. Startups usually require two fulltime jobs worth of time and effort to get going. What are your credentials for offering the services which you'd like to offer? You mention security - security is extremely broad. What kind of security?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well I'd like to offer pentesting services (although not right off the bat). I would say web application testing, network hardening, server hardening. I'm trying not to define anything on purpose so that I can try and offer a bunch of services to a wide variety of customers. I understand that its impossible to offer everything to everyone. Alot of the clients him and I deal with now are small business or single home owns...so for them security could be patching and some anti virus software.....or for a small business auditing a firewall.

Credentials vary....some through cert studying, some through listening to other pen testers on forums. I know enough that running scans and calling it a pen test doesn't cut it...

I'm also hoping to build skills in this area...I've done small pen tests / system hardening but not enough to call myself a "seasoned professional"
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    It's all or nothing. Almost all startups that are treated like a side project wind up on the roadside by a year in. Startups usually require two fulltime jobs worth of time and effort to get going. What are your credentials for offering the services which you'd like to offer? You mention security - security is extremely broad. What kind of security?

I could not agree more with what is said in this response.

Prepare to spend more time than a normal full time job would require. Do or do not, there is no try.

I'll add, learn to deal with rejection.

MS
    Well I'd like to offer pentesting services (although not right off the bat). I would say web application testing, network hardening, server hardening. I'm trying not to define anything on purpose so that I can try and offer a bunch of services to a wide variety of customers.

That's probably a bad idea. I would advise clearly defining whatever it is that you do. It's ok to change over time, however, you need to get an idea of what your boundaries are.

If you don't set a boundary in terms of the work that you want to do, how will you know how to price it?

A general question I have: What is the market demand for pentesting? I know it sounds like a cool thing, but it just seems like to me there would be a small market there, and some really top notch people/companies would already have this bagged and tagged.

What is your unique selling proposition? Why choose you for pentesting over any other person/company?

Other advice, don't compete on price. Ever.

MS
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Starting a company definately takes some work. I recently launched a LLC called Mobo Networks. To become legal i had file paper work with the state to register a business. I went with legalzoom.com and after a year my paper work was still not done. Went with another company called mynewcompany.com and in 5 days i had my paperwork from the state.

Besides that i launched a web site at Mobo Networks, LLC which is currently being revamped. A merchant account was also purchases to accept credit cards as well.
    So basically at this point I just need to lay the content of the site and tie everything together.

I have been up and running for about a year and have gained a customer base of around 140 clients mostly all home users and extremely small companies.

Your choice of company is not that easy to launch compared to my sales and service company. Your definately need higher insurance that what i purchases and the contracts you need customer to sign need to be reviewed by a lawyer. Then besides that all i can think off is you need a nice document to present to your clients with what you found the issues you where pen testing are. Putting a nice site together will be key and then just marketing yourself.

Hope my little posts helps. A ton of work but can definately be done.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
    All have raised valid points and I'm not stupid enough to just jump into something without doing the research first (hence the asking here). It seems as if doing a startup would put me in over my head....

I guess it steams from not having money (Even with a full time job), was hoping there would be a way to supplement the income without getting ridiculously over my head in work. icon_sad.gif
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    All have raised valid points and I'm not stupid enough to just jump into something without doing the research first (hence the asking here). It seems as if doing a startup would put me in over my head....

I guess it steams from not having money (Even with a full time job), was hoping there would be a way to supplement the income without getting ridiculously over my head in work. icon_sad.gif

Being ridiculously over your head in work, should solve the not having any money problem.icon_cheers.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    miller811 wrote: »
    Being ridiculously over your head in work, should solve the not having any money problem.icon_cheers.gif

Haha if only that were true....icon_wink.gif

There is, I just think that to find it you need to define your scope a little more clearly.

None of what is said in this thread should discourage you...in fact, it should drive your behavior in such a way that you avoid some common mistakes that people make when starting businesses.

I've always used an attorney to file all paperwork, setup company agreements, build contracts, etc. The initial setup for the LLC, including state fees ran about $1500. Money well spent. Another bit of advice that I have is to establish a relationship with an attorney. They're expensive, but you really want a good one in your corner.

I'm tired and I'm sitting in an airport typing this, so that's about all I have to say for now....I could go on for hours, perhaps more later...

MS
    eMeS wrote: »
    Another bit of advice that I have is to establish a relationship with an attorney. They're expensive, but you really want a good one in your corner.

Funny you should mention that....as I'm about to marry one icon_wink.gif

Most of what my buddy and I were doing is just imple side jobs...cash only...type deals. Obviously though with offering more services and formulating a business would require a lawyer, LLC, and paperwork for taxes (damn gov.).

I'll have to do some more research.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897

then your money problems are solved.icon_cheers.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

Wow, I wonder who's going to come out ahead in the divorce?

Kidding!

Sort of...